Sign in to follow this  
J!m

Learn someting new every day...

J!m

So I'm trying to find the year my movement was made, and I learn that if the movement serial number is prefixed with a "D" it was a date equipped movement, and if it has "DD" is is a day-date model.

My no-date 1560 has a D prefix... And no date... Since the auto-wind bridges interchange across all the 15xx movements (learned that today too) I suspect I have either a Franken movement (?!?!) or the date parts were removed. The main plate can accept the date parts, but the keyless is a non-date type as far as I can tell (but this could be a slow-set date??)

Anyway, I have no idea what I have now, but it is real. I suspect the winding bridge was changed, but I don't know how to tell what I actually have...

Since it was a date model, it has to be one of the following calibers:

1555*

1556*

*= generally day-date ("DD" prefix) but could be date only

1565 is a quick-date, so that would be a different keyless

1575 also quick date

Based on my information and limited knowlege, this is a 1525, 1535 or 1536 with a 1560 auto-wind bridge. Less likley, but possible I guess, would be 1555 or 1556...

Still learning...

ag69

Somebody has to much time on their hands!! :)

FuzzyCoyote

Lots of time but interesting still. Lol.

Fair play and good work :D

J!m

Just trying to learn about what I have- I need an hour wheel for it, and have no idea what "it" is at the moment.

I have an hour wheel that came with the movement, but it is probably for a much newer date model (it has the second gear to drive the date) which I would gladly use, if the hour wheel was not set such that it covers the canon pinion and a minute hand can't be put on!

On the plus side it does fit the gear, so (if it wasn't so tight on the canon pinion) I could have hours and seconds displayed, OR minutes and seconds displayed, ut not hours, minutes and seconds displayed.

An hour wheel is about $200.00 so it's important to get the correct part...

JimmyV

Found this over at rolexforums I don't know if it will help but it talks about p/n on the balance that might help.

"1560 and 1570 are chronometer movement, but 1530 and 1520 are not chronometer movement."

Cal 1530 is the base movement for all 1500 movements and was introduced 1957. The 1530 comes with balance assembly rolex p/n 7855 with Breguet hairspring running at 18000 bph.

It is a chronometer grade movement.

The 1520 was introduced in 1963 with balance assembly rolex p/n 8055 with a flat hairspring. It comes in 17 and 26 jewel versions running at 19800 bph.

Cal 1525 is the same thing with date...used mostly in AK date watches etc.

They are not considered to be chronometer grade movements although most will keep excellent time.

The 1560 was introduced in 1965* and has rolex p/n 7980 balance assembly with a Breguet hs running at 18000 bph.

Cal 1565 is the same thing with date.

Cal 1565 GMT has date and 24h hand.

All are chronometer grade movements.

note...these movements have a guard pin to keep the hairspring from getting tangled up when smacked or dropped

(it looks like a curb feeler)

The 1570 was introduced in 1965 and has balance assembly rolex p/n 8106 with Breguet hs running at 19800 bph.

Cal 1575 was the same thing with date.

Cal 1575 GMT has date and 24h hand.

All are chronometer grade movements.

Many date and GMT movements are stamped 1570. I have a 1603 that I bought new in 1972 (manufactured I70) and it has a 1570 autowind plate on it. The watch has been in my posession since new so nothing has been changed.

Matter of fact...all my (1570/1575) date movements including a late 1970s GMT have 1570 autowind plates.

*If the 1560 was introduced in 1965, it is a real head scratcher because the 1570 was introduced at the same time. Why introduce similar 18000bph and 19800bph movements at the same time?

The only 1560 powered watch I have in my records is a reference 1003, serial 121xxxx with II65 stamped inside the caseback.

Maybe someone has a 1560 powered watch with a manufacturing date earlier than 1965 stamped in the caseback. I have never seen one.

The introduction dates came from a page in a rolex manual titled "Calibres Rolex" dated 1970.

J!m

Well, I have a Breguet overcoil (blue) hairspring in this movement.

1560 on the winding bridge, but that could have easily been changed/swapped from another movement

1530 is the basic caliber; it is the base for the following:

1520 intro 1963; 19,800; hacking after 1972; no calendar

1525 intro 1965; 19,800; hacking after 1972; progress calendar (slow-set date)

1530 intro 1957; 18,000; (I suspect this basic caliber was probably replaced by the 1520 in 1963)

1535 intro 1957; 18,000; slow-set date- probably replaced by 1525 in 1965

1536 intro 1964; 18,000; slow-set date- probably discontinued pretty quickly...

I do see it is strange for there to be a 18,000 and a 19,800 available in 1964 with otherwise identical features... Probably both were available for a very short time and the 1520 took over, and if that is true, the 1536 would be a rather rare movement...

mine does not hack and would be a slow-set date (If it had the date parts) Probably a pre-1972 1525, but I need to check the rate to be sure.

JimmyV

I'm not sure looking into this I'm getting more and more confused. I was leaning more towards poss a 1530 movement then I got thinking maybe not.

According to what I posted from rolexforums and searching online the 1530 came with a Breguet hairspring which yours has. But then you say its leading more towards a 1525 and they don't at least I think have it. But that reference also said a 1520 series did not come with that hair spring ("flat") and the bph is 19800 which it's actually 18000 also. You said yours is a slow date which would then be 1525. I could not find out if a 1530 is a slow set or not. So that leaves me confused yet again lol. I also think from doing some searching is that the 1530 is slightly different in size.?

I also found out that the Rolex Air-King 5700 came with the same movement as the Rolex No-date Subs. Which makes sense about the date parts not being there in the watch. Since they used that movement in the no-dates maybe it was like that from Rolex. I'm at a loss with the Breguet hairspring though could they also have used them on the 1525? I could not find that info out also.

The 1560 auto bridge maybe it was added on a service that was performed on the movement through rolex or someone else poss. Upon researching the 1560 movement itself does have a guard pin and looking at your pics yours does not. Can seem poss that it was added since parts can be interchanged. Searching on Rolexforums seems common to see a 15XX go in for something and come out with a diff 15XX part.

Maybe this helps?

0RLmgy1.jpg

bOirH0R.jpg

J!m

All the 15xx are 28.5mm; however the thickness of the movement varies, but I thought it might be due to adding date complication... No, the 1525 (date) is 6.3mm thick as is the 1530 (non-date). President models sem to be the thickest at 7.03mm. GMT movements are 6.3mm. 1560 is 5.75mm. The 1530 to 1560 difference may be due to the rotor change from the old butterfly to the current style rotor.

Anyway, I know I have a pre-1972 movement, because it does not hack. It HAD a date mechinism, so that narrows it somewhat. It also has a more decorated movement (swirled like the 1520 above and not plain like the 1530 above)

A 1525 makes a lot of sense- that would put the movement between 1965 (intro year) and 1972...

Thanks for the photos- I need to find more!

J!m

Continued digging makes me think more this is a 1525

The 1525 was sold in the 5700 Air-King date model- a low-cost model as we know. It stands to reason that the movement would be pulled to use in a more desireable watch (such as a sub)

I'm going to go on this assumption and see about parts for a 1525 movement. Maybe the hour wheel will cost less than a complete rep sub...

J!m

Looks like form 3 with a form 1 flector...

Balance has micro stellita (whatever) tiny screws for setting poise and rate...

Is there a simple way to ID it from the serial number????

JimmyV

I'm still searching to see if there is a simple way to give you an exact way to determine. But seems like there is simple charts that can give you a estimate.

http://www.elitetimepieces.com/rolexref.html

J!m

I have seen the charts like that; probably have the same info in my book. But there is no mention of movement serial numbers anywhere that I can find... With Omega, you can determine the year of production from the movement serial number, but Rolex seem to keep this a secret...