Sign in to follow this  
sonypc100

Is stainless steel the only viable option for a day date?

sonypc100

Hi

Happily wearing a GMT IIc rep which looks great in SS as its a SS watch! However if I want a white gold or platinum day date, I suppose my only real option is one in stainless steel???

Are there any options like a white gold plating?

Thanks

Rich

Member X

White Gold plating doesn't exist in rep world, as I understand it?

Someone with more knowledge will confirm soon :ttiwwop:

SS still looks great - it's the weight that is the main giveaway, and I'm sure you wouldn't be handing over your $20k DD to any stranger who's trying to call you out... :)

jojo8989

yup, white gold is way too expensive to use in reps and apparently that rhodium stuff is hard to come by

greg_r
White Gold plating doesn't exist in rep world, as I understand it?

Someone with more knowledge will confirm soon :lol:

SS still looks great - it's the weight that is the main giveaway, and I'm sure you wouldn't be handing over your $20k DD to any stranger who's trying to call you out... ;)

There's no such thing as white gold plating. White gold is rhodium plated regular gold. Rhodium plating steel would be pointless as it wouldn't look any different from regular steel - on gold it takes on an extra sheen due to the underlying colour of the gold (my wedding ring is white gold so I have a good point of comparison ;) ).

Most of the models that would be white gold in the gen are stainless steel in the rep - the only exception are a very small number of genuine white gold reps, but they're very expensive ($1500 and more).

If you're worried about the SS vs white gold thing, go for a datejust - unlike the day/date the gen is available in steel.

sonypc100

Thanks everyone if, and its a big IF! I was interested is a $1500 white gold rep day date II could anyone point me in the right direction?

cheers

rich

AllergyDoc

Josh has the biggest selection: http://www.1-pc8838.com/rolex-c-55.html

His prices are a little higher, but since you won't be getting ripped off for a $1,500 "white gold" rep that would just be SS, you can afford it! :lol:

You can also send the link to Mary of Watchinternational and ask her if she can source a watch. She'll be a little cheaper.

SubFrog

My first DD rep was purchased about 7 years ago. It was SS and it was heavy...so, there was no problem with the weight. Everyone that saw it thought it was platinum. Beautiful.

That watch was stolen by TSA, my favorite dealer was no longer around, so I purchased the same one from another dealer.

Cheap...light weight...don't like it. I don't really know the difference except for the newer style oyster bracelet...but, that's the only thing I could figure made it lighter in weight.

However, it looked great. Both of them. So, I wouldn't worry about the need for white gold visually.

greg_r
Thanks everyone if, and its a big IF! I was interested is a $1500 white gold rep day date II could anyone point me in the right direction?

cheers

rich

Ah - I didn't mean that you'd find a white gold DD rep - only that one or two replica watches have been available in white gold at that kinda price - never seen it done with a Rolex though.