Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Panerai PAM300 Mare Nostrum

greg_r

This is a watch I've been wanting ever since I first saw the Panerai promo shots. As soon as the 'cartel' announced that it had been replicated I knew I had to have one.

This is a big watch at 52mm - but not unmanageably big (unlike, say, the Big Egi). Whilst it wears quite a bit larger than, say, a Fiddy - it's still comfortable and wearable on an every-day basis.

Overall it's a fairly accurate replication of the gen - the one fly in the ointment being that they buggered up the knurled edge of the bezel, which is a different pattern from the real thing. However, whilst this is very visible in close-up photographs, on the wrist it's not noticeable enough for me to be bothered about it.

The movement is the trusty so-called "copy Lemania" (Sea-Gull ST19). Its the first example of this movement I've owned and I have to say that I'm very impressed - it gives the watch a real quality feel - much more so than 7750-powered watches I've owned. The pushers have a good positive action to them and the watch winds smoothly.

The watch comes on a leather-backed green textile strap which is nice quality and very comfortable - this is one of very few PAM reps I've owned on which I won't bother to change the strap.

Overall I'm really pleased with the watch - unlike the Big Egi I bought last year, this one is definitely a keeper.

I've not had chance to take any decent photos yet, but here's a couple of crappy snaps taken with a compact at the office this morning. Sorry about the graininess of some of the images - the lighting was lousy. I'll take some better photos when I have the chance...

mare1.jpg

mare2.jpg

mare_b.jpg

mare_w.jpg

KinCaidk

I have to admit that it does look slightly OK. :)

Congrats, G.

greg_r

:)

It's better looking in real life than it is on Josh's photos, certainly (yes, I know that's not hard ;) )

GC

I couldn't pull it off, but I like it! Isn't it great when they Rep something you really want... and not just something!

I look forward to the non-apathy photos... because now I know you can take them (hint hint, wink wink)

Enjoy it often G, no mater what everybody says behind your back :)

greg_r

hehe thanks GC.

I'll break out the SLR in due course - might not be until next week though as I'm working this weekend. In the meantime, just added another couple of shots to the original post.

GC

mate...that movt is to die for!

I so need a watch with a ST-19

greg_r
mate...that movt is to die for!

I so need a watch with a ST-19

Yeah - I'm really impressed with it. Looks great and has that almost undefinable feel of real quality.

nunu78

Nice watch and gr8 movement, congratz G.Not for me as still dun lie Pams but itz really nice lookin watch but

it will gr8 if it comes in smaller size like 44 mm.

Member X

I really do like these!

I agree on the strap - it's one of the few rep straps that I think looks good :D

I think I will add it to my "when I have some spare cash" list rather than the "MUST have this at all costs" list, although that might change if they do a v2 with improvements to fix the minor things that are wrong ;):D

hugolina

Good to hear you guy here love it,i ve got mine from Mary this morning,it is nice,it looks big out side but not too big on wrist.

Edited by hugolina

barkingtoad

Congtats Gman !!

These watches are getting bigger & bigger

Looks nice & understated if I can say that about a big watch

Member X
Good to hear you guy here love it,i ve got mine from Mary this morning,it is nice,it looks big out side but not too big on wrist.

:D

dingle

damn. Just when you thought you couldn't fuck up a watch with blue hands. :D

J/K G. If you like it, that is what matters. You will not have to worry about sending it to south GA :D

hugolina

Sorry guys

img2084e.jpg

img2085u.jpg

dingle

img2085u.jpg

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn at the wristy shot :D

midasmook

eeeehhhhhmmmm dunno

graman

Tasty...very tasty...bloody big too!

Silverspeed

Damn...it's a required taste I guess

As long as you like it, that's all that matters :D

Christ...it's bloody big

greg_r