Sign in to follow this  
JSJ

IWC 3714 Portuguese secs@6 A7750 graphite fix and module transplant (pics)

JSJ

Thanks Mirage. Yes that looks a better one than the one on ebay I was looking at.

I'm concerned about the chapter ring which comes off with the bezel and crystal.I reckon they are quite easy to damage. Can anyone give any advice?

JSJ

Thanks.

Mmmm, to quote Aleksandr Orlov, what could possible go wrong?

Yes it might help me decide to leave the crystal where it is without AR. :giggle:

I'll have to see just how much courage I have.

JSJ

I've fixed another one, bought as dead from M2M on another forum. This yet again was nothing to do with the secs@6. How do I know this? Because when you take off the secs@6 module the watch still doesn't work. Possibly the module had put extra stress on the movement but I don't think it's that. The module is free-running and if it's not (like if you leave too much graphite in it) then watch simply won't run.

This fix was the biggest challenge yet - by far. The secs@6 module in principle "just" replaces the date module on the 7750. That is "in principle" and it is true. However, it is a much bigger job than that, by far the biggest watchmaking job I have undertaken. Fun though!

I bought the new movement and checked it for timekeeping before I touched it. After it's installed, the movement keeps time in the same way with no extra regulation. That says to me that the module is not putting big stresses on the movement.

Also, there are indeed extra jewels in the module, so the TDs are correct. There are four (4) more jewels than in the old modules I can see in the old threads. This has to make a difference to the longevity of the module.

I wonder whether the modifications to the standard 7750 are being done as an "aftermarket" fix (to borrow a term from my industry, automotive). That might explain the variable performance of the secs@6 watches. It would be so very easy to foul up the movement while putting the module on it. You have to remove and cut a pinion off, pull pins out. Filings or swarf inside would cause exactly the issues we see.

Anyway, I plan to write up the movement replacement in this thread at some point when I have time.

This is one pretty watch :) .

IMG_20140421_124427_zps013406a1.jpg

Wriggles

You have given me hope again JSJ !!!!!

A pictorial write up of one of these would be great, a lot of the older ones are missing a lot of the photos

JSJ

You have given me hope again JSJ !!!!!

A pictorial write up of one of these would be great, a lot of the older ones are missing a lot of the photos

Have hope mate!

There are pics of the simpler fix at the start of this thread.

Monty010

This gives me hope. Cause the 3714 is still on my short list.

DR3M3L

Glad all worked out mate! Great job :D

Daywatch

Hi JSJ, this review and the job You´ve done with those detailed pics is just amazing. Thanks a lot for putting this up. I just love this as a dresswatch and its wonderfully precise to read the time from near or even from the distance. Love the cut-out 12 and 6 too. No comparison to the one I´m posting nevertheless.

My "fun-solution" to the secs at 6 (until now) just "cost" me $128,- for a not-gen-looking-but-perfect-time-keeping Quartz I use to set the autos. For those in the wonder how that looks like I just put up the comparison pic of that quartz-beater IWC:

DSC_9672.jpg

and a better one:

APRO2788_DW1024_zps6b5cb974.jpg

JSJ

Thank you Daywatch :).

I understand the draw of the quartz for reliability, which they certainly have. That is a very fine watch you have. I just sold a microstepper in fact.

I see SEAD (TD on RWI) has just posted a load of Quartz 3714s in different colours even including a pink one... They seem to have the correct dial size and cut-out numbers. I'm not sure of the case size, somebody asked him that yesterday. Some of them even have AUTOMATIC written under CHRONOGRAPH instead of the MORE common QUARTZ.

shirz123

Beautiful. I'm on the fence about the automatic vs quartz versions.. If I can get a good deal in the m2m section like you, I'll probably go with the automatic.

**If anyone is selling, I am interested in buying!

Thanks

JSJ

Beautiful. I'm on the fence about the automatic vs quartz versions.. If I can get a good deal in the m2m section like you, I'll probably go with the automatic.

**If anyone is selling, I am interested in buying!

Thanks

If you are happy to fix a non-working one, then one day, you will find a cheaper one. Just keep looking :)

GenTLe

Hi JSJ, thanks for the shared info!!!

Question now: are them still running (and which is the frequency you're wearing them)? ;)

JSJ

Yup, all still running. Not wearing so often but that's cos I have plenty of other great watches. These don't scare me any more.

I recently bought a non-working Daytona too. When I get a minute I'll take off the transfer module and see if I can fix that. It was sold as having a problem with the auto mech but I've fixed that and it's still stopping after a while.

At least the Daytona movement is available new whereas this one needs some mods to fit the transfer module to the standard movement.

GenTLe

Tnx mate :)

I'll arrive, sooner or later, to the point that I'll not be able to resist and I'll buy one of these Portoguese... Maybe in the meantime they'll have the AR too! :D

JSJ
Tnx mate :)

I'll arrive, sooner or later, to the point that I'll not be able to resist and I'll buy one of these Portoguese... Maybe in the meantime they'll have the AR too! :D

Two of mine are about to get AR via Sunnydale on RWI :)

GenTLe

Eh... I ran against that batch for my Calibre Cartier but I discovered it too late :°-( Good luck with it :)

Post some pic when you'll have the piece back to you :)

rapper4u

Hi. I'm interested in this particular watch too. I see that they sell now with a "new improved movement" with 29 J , and they cost around 300$ on tswatch and Kingwatch

Does anyone know if the secs@6 issue has been solved with these movements ?

JSJ

Hi. I'm interested in this particular watch too. I see that they sell now with a "new improved movement" with 29 J , and they cost around 300$ on tswatch and Kingwatch

Your question is covered in this thread and elsewhere. The "improved" movements have more jewels. Some of the ones I have fixed have already had that new mod.

If you like the watch, buy one. If you can't afford to lose $300, don't buy one. It's a risk. That applies to all reps, not just the 3714. My view is that you are more likely to have a good 3714 than a bad one. Others have a different view.

Please go to the New Members' section and introduce yourself in a new thread. You'll find we are quite helpful.

Tichymeloun

Your question is covered in this thread and elsewhere. The "improved" movements have more jewels. Some of the ones I have fixed have already had that new mod.

If you like the watch, buy one. If you can't afford to lose $300, don't buy one. It's a risk. That applies to all reps, not just the 3714. My view is that you are more likely to have a good 3714 than a bad one. Others have a different view.

Please go to the New Members' section and introduce yourself in a new thread. You'll find we are quite helpful.

Yes, you are very helpful!! been here just a few days and have already used your help, thanks a lot JSJ!!

Edited by Tichymeloun

JSJ

Yes, you are very helpful!! been here just a few days and have already used your help, thanks a lot JSJ!!

Happy to help and very pleased you fixed it :).

Your pic is not showing. Would be great to see it.

Tichymeloun

Happy to help and very pleased you fixed it :).

Your pic is not showing. Would be great to see it.

1_zps8f55b131.jpg

2_zpsac6c0b22.jpg

3_zpsd8d27877.jpg

darksky

Great post!! Maybe I should order one too...hmm

JSJ
Great post!! Maybe I should order one too...hmm

Go for it! The risk isn't that much greater than with other reps in my experience and these are really great looking watches.