Sign in to follow this  
puckskraper

Bitch wrists and big watches

puckskraper

I haven't worn watches for a while being that I worked hands on with IT equipment that cost more than most make in a lifetime. I'm now stepping into a mgmt role and won't be in the icebox as often.

I'm not a small guy but (enter your deity here) thought it funny to give me small wrists (and ankles for that matter). This latest trend of wall clocks masquerading as wrist watches I'm just not too sure about but all my favs seem to be 42mm and larger. So, I'd like some reassurance that my insecurities aren't warranted and that my grandfathers 32mm Bulova with elastic band would get me laughed at.

Seriously though, pics and diameter of your wrist would be greatly appreciated.

JohnG

Wrist 7.75 inches

Super Avenger 47mm

Imagen046.jpg

Imagen011.jpg

Imagen025.jpg

Tauchmeister 46mm

Imagen091.jpg

Nautic Chrono 47mm

SDC12175.jpg

Oris Homage 44mm

Imagen031.jpg

Sea-Dweller 40mm

daily.jpg

KBH

You would probably only be laughed at because of the elastic band.

But on the other hand, 32mm is more the size of a girls watch. How about some pictures of it.

puckskraper

Thanks John! I'm measuring in at a whopping 6.75"

You would probably only be laughed at because of the elastic band.

But on the other hand, 32mm is more the size of a girls watch. How about some pictures of it.

OK, maybe I exaggerated the size. It's boxed up with some of his WWII stuff but I will try to post pics sooner than later.

king_o

Not a great pic but gives you an idea..........................

wrist - 7.5"

watch - 49.2mm

12022010310.jpg

AustinTech

I really wouldn't consider 6.75 inches to be small...more like average.

I think you can easily get away with 45mm watches and less. Anything more and you run the risk of looking kinda silly IF you are ALSO an overall small guy. A slight sort of fellow has a hard time with the big guns. You could have a 6 inch wrist and be a big dude overall and get away with it.

What is your height and weight?

KBH

Your wrist is about the same as mine. I'd like to think about average.

DSCN3829.jpg

I fee pretty comfortable up to about 44mm.

puckskraper
I really wouldn't consider 6.75 inches to be small...more like average.

I think you can easily get away with 45mm watches and less. Anything more and you run the risk of looking kinda silly IF you are ALSO an overall small guy. A slight sort of fellow has a hard time with the big guns. You could have a 6 inch wrist and be a big dude overall and get away with it.

What is your height and weight?

I'm 5'10" 175lbs. I wear a 16" 32/33 shirt and a 40 Regular suit and have a 33" waist. Not small, but no monster.

AllergyDoc

Having hairy wrists helps a lot. If you've got bald 6.75" wrists, don't go over 42mm. Pictures of skinny bald wrist sporting a 47mm watch look ridiculous.

puckskraper
Having hairy wrists helps a lot. If you've got bald 6.75" wrists, don't go over 42mm. Pictures of skinny bald wrist sporting a 47mm watch look ridiculous.

Great point Doc! I'd say I have a little more than king_o but less than the others.

GC

I have a 6 1/2 inch wrist & I can sport a 47mm watches no problem (a 47mmPAM is supposed to look oversized to a degree)... anything over 47 and it looks like I'm FlavorFlav. My comfort zone is 40mm-47mm and everything in between.

In truth it also depends on if you have a flat-ish top wrist or a very rounded top wrist, I have a flat-ish top wrist so even a 47mm watch doesn't hang over. Rule of thumb, look at your wrist with the watch on, if the case (read case not lugs) of the watch hangs over any part of your wrist it's probably too big (and to on lookers it even looks bigger!).

Brightlight

It's not just the size, it's also the shape. I have 7 1/4 wrist but it is round, not flattened so big watches look ridiculous on me as they hang over the ends. To me if you can see air under the case/lugs both sides, it's too big. Here's a 36mm Datejust on me -

IMG_2785.jpg

greg_r

6.75 is a fairly average size wrist - but it's really down to wearing what feels comfortable to you. Visit an authorised dealer and try on one or two bigger watches - see how you get on :)

pollux1

Buy a cheapie from one of the trusted dealers here, 44mm PAM or any other large watch, see how you get on with it size wise.

You can always sell it on the forum if it's not for you, although if you're here already then the watch bug has bitten so more likely you'll buy another lol. Your wrist certainly isn't small it's average so personally speaking I doubt you'll have a problem carrying a bigger watch off. :)

One other point, you can get away with a smaller watch case size whilst wearing more formal attire.

speedzmaster

Wear whatever you like.

puckskraper

Great stuff guys, THANK YOU!!

I now feel a lot more comfortable about making good decisions. Time to head down to the local snob shop and try on some pieces. Also, before I pull the trigger I certainly become a VIP supporter. This forum is an invaluable source of info.

Member X

Don't be scared to try stuff on. I always feel a fraud trying stuff on I have no intention of buying, but then it's just I haven't got the money at the moment, I could win the lottery tomorrow ;) lol :)

You're pretty much the same size as me, going from your measurements. I feel comfortable wearing anything between 39 and 47mm :D Smaller is more suited to formal occasions as they are less 'shouty', but some watches that are bigger still manage to look 'discreet' despite their size - Breitling SuperOcean Heritage, for example.

Try some on, see what suits. Buy some reps and you'll find what you thought were your preferences dropping off the list as your taste changes to things you never thought you'd like - I always hated Rolex, now I'm seriously loving them! :D

hugolina

No mater what how big it is

stick with what you love

img2089z.jpg

img2109f.jpg

Edited by hugolina

Member X

lol That is pretty big :P but it looks good! :)

What size wrists do you have?