Sign in to follow this  
TAGster

What is a "swan neck" movement?

TAGster

Hi all,

Maybe is a dumb question, but I would like to know what exactly is a "swan-neck" in a PAM movement?. I´ve been reading a lot "swan neck" here, "swan neck" there, and I even saw some reps that are more expensive when has the swan neck.

I am about to order my first PAM rep, and I would like to know if this "swan neck" movement is something that should every rep has in order to get closer to a gen or if, is only for specific PAM models.

Thanks guys!

GC

The "swan neck" is a micro regulator found on the balance wheel bridge to regulate the accuracy of the movt...

it's the thing with the two screws and a pin in it that adjusts the dagger lever of the balance spring (did that help? i think i just confused myself...lol)

IMG_1315.jpg

All Gen PAMs have this on their movts, so if you are looking for visual accuracy to Gen it is a must. btw it is also a sign that you are purchasing a higher end asian 6497 movt, which is a very good thing.

TAGster

Thanks for your reply mate.

It is now clear for me, what a "swan neck" means, you were very clear.

And yes, I am ordering a PAM112h Asian Unitas 6497.

Cheers!

TAGster

I was closely checking some web photos from a link that Mary sent me of the watch I ordered, and I see it doesn´t come with the swan neck :) , eventhough the desccription says is an Asian clone unitas 6497, so maybe is not a high end 6497 version:

panerai112h.jpg

Anyways, I already ordered, so nothing much to do, just to expect the real photos of the actual watch on monday from Mary and see if it comes with the swan neck, if not, nothing to worry about, I will have to order an additional one that has the famous swan neck, he he, :D

mpg54

I see the "swan neck" quite clearly in your picture of the watch you ordering...

I was closely checking some web photos from a link that Mary sent me of the watch I ordered, and I see it doesn´t come with the swan neck :) , eventhough the desccription says is an Asian clone unitas 6497, so maybe is not a high end 6497 version:

panerai112h.jpg

Anyways, I already ordered, so nothing much to do, just to expect the real photos of the actual watch on monday from Mary and see if it comes with the swan neck, if not, nothing to worry about, I will have to order an additional one that has the famous swan neck, he he, :D

Chronograph

I'm a newbie, so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what are the functional aspects of the "swan neck"? Does it run better or more accurately than the non "swan neck"?

TAGster
I see the "swan neck" quite clearly in your picture of the watch you ordering...

Really?.

Now I am already confused, he he.

Please explain me: is the swan neck the part that I surrounded in green? or is it the yellow one?

img1315n.jpg

Because, if you see the picture of the watch I ordered, the green surrounded area does not has that little piece:

panerai112ha.jpg

Thanks mate!

dingle

It's there mate. Your green outline is "crossing" over the neck if that makes any sense. If Mary is selling it , I have full confidence it is there.

If it is not there when you receive your watch, lemme know

:)

PatronSaintofChainsaws
It's there mate. Your green outline is "crossing" over the neck if that makes any sense. If Mary is selling it , I have full confidence it is there.

If it is not there when you receive your watch, lemme know

:)

Look at the original picture earlier in the thread. It's not there.

What we have here is a situation where the original dealer pic was taken of a movement with a broken swan-neck. The base is still attached, but the neck/tip is gone.

GC

Really?.

Now I am already confused, he he.

Please explain me: is the swan neck the part that I surrounded in green? or is it the yellow one?

img1315n.jpg

Thanks mate!

It's both...the green & yellow that you outlined is one piece referred to as a "swan neck" micro regulator (because it is shaped like a swan's neck).

@ Chronograph... It's function is to allow you to adjust the regulator of the movt in micro increments. Adjusting the regulator is a process in which you can adjust the accuracy of the movt to be closer to +/- 0 sec a day.

TAGster

Thanks again G.Curcio for your reply.

And let me share with you a shot of the actual watch I ordered from Mary and which is on its way home :lol:

img0993ev.jpg

There is clearly the swan neck. So I think PatronSaintofChainsaws was right: the image of the dealer´s website has a swan neck´s tip broken.

Thanks all for your inputs, I will share more photos when I receive the watch, by the way is my first PAM rep.

Cheers!!