Sign in to follow this  
mistabonze

Any one sell a GEN and replaced with a REP

mistabonze

Just curious if anyone ever thought of selling there GEN watch and replace with a REP. I had bought a GEN 2005 black SUB with date about 2 years ago. It was obviously pre-ownwed. Sent it to Rolex for re-conditioning. I wear it alot although thought about selling it a while ago and replacing with a good REP. I posted on Craigs list and have 6 local people interested. It's begining to get some scratches. They know I'm firm on my price. With the purchase price + rolex servic3 if be down $850. Would be nice to have the cash with the economy and all although would probably just sticj it in the bank. We are saving up fro a bigger boat and my wife wants an early 80's Ferarri 308 so this would definetly help (we are not rich but like old exotic cars). I alwyas think why Keep the authentic if the REPs are that great. I bought the watch for myself so I dont mind selling as much as if my wife gave it to me. I would definetly keep it then. The other thought is would be nice to pass to my son when Im old and decrepit. Almost sold it but took a trip to a friends house out of state who also like watches. He bought a new Omega Seamaster which made me want to keep my SUB and brought me hear to collect a few more watches. Watches are the only jewlrey I wear. I have a few other GEN but no other Rolex. A couple of Tags and an Invicta. What do you guys think. Would be nice to have the money for the other toys but at the same time be nice to keep the GEN, put it away in the safe and wear the REP knowing I still have the GEN.

greg_r

Quite few years ago I sold a few gens (Tag, Bulova, Bvlgari) and started buying reps instead (admittedly not of the same watches - I was a Rolex guy back then and bought a few DJ and DD models). Never looked back...

These days, whilst there's a couple of gens I'd love to own, I really can't justify the expense. They're overpriced for what they are. The better reps are 90% as good (sometimes closer to 99%) for 10% of the price. It's a no-brainer for me.

Eiderdaus

ATM I would not sell my gen sub but I could imagine if I would really need the money for more important things I guess I would not have any problem. If my wife would have a dream that only could be archived by selling my gen then no doubt it would be gone :) You need to prioritize. Wachtes are watches, a hobby but not elemtary to me.

But I am lucky that the situation is not forcing me to sell my gen ;-) I rather think to by another gen Sub

JoeyB
...my wife wants an early 80's Ferarri 308

You could get your wife a replica 'Kit Car' 308 built on a Pontiac Fiero Frame.

KBH

My first rep was a replacement of my original Rolex Datejust that is somewhere at the bottom of Biscayne Bay. I loved it but not enough to buy another one.

Of course, looking back, it would have been a lot cheaper to have just bought a new gen.

Chronograph
My first rep was a replacement of my original Rolex Datejust that is somewhere at the bottom of Biscayne Bay.

Yikes! :)

Did it comes off your wrist while you were fishing or something?

AustinTech
My first rep was a replacement of my original Rolex Datejust that is somewhere at the bottom of Biscayne Bay.

I think he was having sex with a mermaid.

Chronograph

I think he was having sex with a mermaid.

Ahh.....that makes more sense. Who would waste their time on fish when there are hot mermaids to fu.. make love to. :D

Member X

Just don't ask about the fishy smell ;)

KBH

Actually, I was on a sailboat dinghy tied up to the floating stage at at a Jimmy Buffet concert, drunker that I should have been, with a girlfriend that was flashing her tits and somehow it disappeared from my wrist. Don't know how it fell off but I spent an hour with scuba tanks searching through the mud on the bottom and never found it. The last concert at the old Miami Marine Stadium and one I'll never forget.