Sign in to follow this  
lperdido

Help Identifying or valuating my old school Seiko

lperdido

Hi family, I hope that someone on here can help me with some information on this Seiko. This was my first watch that I purchased new from Service Merchandise with my first credit card eons ago. I was and am very proud of it and it has served me well through out the years. I have not changed the battery in about 5 or 6 years and it has just been sitting in drawers.

A bit of research this morning led me to understand that it is a 7t32 movement and part of the World of Discovery series that Seiko produced in 1992. That is the extent of my knowledge. It is a functioning chrono with an alarm and gold plating. Fish Eye lens (sort of) and a ship engraved on the case back that I could not get a proper picture of.

Does any one know if this is worth anything? Is is really a collectors watch? I plan to change the battery and strap this weekend and any information would be really appreciated. Thank you!

12209305764_ca4e999e7d_b.jpg12209562586_174b0a4ec8_b.jpg12209329574_f1eefa06b9_b.jpg

Aren

Actually, if he is willing to take a look, I would ask Offshore.

He knows Seikos...especially the valuable ones.

:)

onionbag

Good thinking Aren, I'm pretty sure it's worth at least a couple of hundred bucks.

lperdido

Thanks guys, is Offshore a member here? I guess I need to pm him.

trailboss99

He is indeed a member here.

offshore

He is indeed. :)

First you commented that you thought it had a 7T32 movement.

If you look at the dial between 6 and 7, you will see 7T42.

For this, you are an extremely lucky lad!.

If this was an earlier version running the infamous 7T32, it would be now permanently in your drawer, as the movement would have long ago failed, and is not serviceable.

Frankly the 7T32's were hand grenades.

So you have the upgraded 7T42, a much more docile beast.

And 1 positive point for the watch.

I am often asked to put a value on watches, and i always say they are worth as much as someone finally will pay.

So if I am told $*** was paid for a watch, I will never disagree, and this watch may bring anything.

If, however I was buying it, remembering I am a dealer and wish to make a profit, then I would pay from $60-$100 once I ascertained its exact condition.

In fine condition one of these will sell at up to $200, and in average condition, around $150.00.

Hope that helps.

O/S

lperdido

If this was an earlier version running the infamous 7T32, it would be now permanently in your drawer, as the movement would have long ago failed, and is not serviceable.

I am often asked to put a value on watches, and i always say they are worth as much as someone finally will pay.

So if I am told $*** was paid for a watch, I will never disagree, and this watch may bring anything.

If, however I was buying it, remembering I am a dealer and wish to make a profit, then I would pay from $60-$100 once I ascertained its exact condition.

In fine condition one of these will sell at up to $200, and in average condition, around $150.00.

Hope that helps.

O/S

Wow, thank you Sir! I feel like antiques road show just paid me a personal visit. Your information was extremely helpful and makes me feel a lot better about that purchase all those years ago. Yay me for liking the dial... Lucky indeed.

mrtsumoto80

Not very valuable. Seiko Quartz movements are not really sought for. Still Seiko´s are fantastic watches

besides it´s the first one you got so keep it in a safe place.

I still own my first Seiko for when I was 16, lovely piece, took me 13 years to find the Authentic leather strap replacement

now looks brand new and is sitting in its box enjoying retirement lol I wear it only twice a year at most but to me holds a very

special value, at the time it was worth 200 usd. probably now no more than a $100

lperdido

Not very valuable. Seiko Quartz movements are not really sought for. Still Seiko´s are fantastic watches

I still own my first Seiko for when I was 16, lovely piece, took me 13 years to find the Authentic leather strap replacement

now looks brand new and is sitting in its box enjoying retirement lol I wear it only twice a year at most but to me holds a very

special value, at the time it was worth 200 usd. probably now no more than a $100

I know how you feel. I plan to get it up to speed and hold on to it. It is indeed a special watch to me... but with my trend toward 44 mm watched, it will be interesting to see if it gets any wrist time.

mrtsumoto80

I know how you feel. I plan to get it up to speed and hold on to it. It is indeed a special watch to me... but with my trend toward 44 mm watched, it will be interesting to see if it gets any wrist time.

I hear you, still 44mm its a trend maybe here to stay maybe not, at the end having different sizes has a purpose.

lperdido

Yes. It will definitely be tucked away

Aren

Hope that helps.

O/S

Wow, thank you Sir! I feel like antiques road show just paid me a personal visit. Your information was extremely helpful and makes me feel a lot better about that purchase all those years ago. Yay me for liking the dial... Lucky indeed.

WOW...ask and ye shall receive.

GO-TO Seiko authority appears.

O/S doesn't post often, but when he does, it's always worth the informative read. :cheerleader2:

Thanks Offshore!

:wub: