Sign in to follow this  
flipside94

DSSD Question

flipside94

Hey Everyone,

I am really appreciative for so many amazing members in this community! Everyone is so helpful!

Now to the question...

I am looking into getting a DSSD...

I know Mary has a great one that so many have bought here. I was also looking into BK's

1. Do you think they are the same watch essentially (besides BK doing the QC & adding his mods)?

2. Are they both really water resistant out of box just for swimming/snorkeling? (I know BK offers a pressed crystal which increases WR...does anyone know about this?)

3. Does anyone know if these watches come with a bezel that is taped or glued...I read on a recent post here the tape can come off while swimming.

Thanks!

Ska

Hey flipside. Here's my 2 cents. (By NO means the last word on anything just my understanding of the situation)

1. YES

2. Some might be. With chinese QC being what it is, you never know. I'd advise getting it pressure tested if you're intending to do anything as outlandish as getting in the shower with it.

3. No idea.

Hope this wasn't too pointless.

flipside94
Hey flipside. Here's my 2 cents. (By NO means the last word on anything just my understanding of the situation)

1. YES

2. Some might be. With chinese QC being what it is, you never know. I'd advise getting it pressure tested if you're intending to do anything as outlandish as getting in the shower with it.

3. No idea.

Hope this wasn't too pointless.

Thanks Ska, that does help actually.

It is interesting where these watches are sourced...I know BK says his is noob & Mary does not specify where hers comes from, calling it factory...they both seem to be the same upgrades from previous versions (sans BK's mods).

I understand they are to be pressure tested before going in the water. I think they say I can get that done @ any mall. I wonder if they would they be able to lube the gaskets also?

I know Vac offers this on his watches to be WR, but can't justify the difference in price.

I wonder if any RWG members here have taken their DSSD in the water out of box?

AllergyDoc

BK lubes the gaskets and o-rings and represses the crystal. I don't know if the helium valve has been sealed, though. I had a DSSD but never took it in the water. Greasing gaskets is easy and you can seal up the helium valve yourself.

KBH

Didn't some of the DSSDs have the helium valve that was backwards? The ones where you could push it open from the outside. Those were definitely not waterproof.

Ska

Yeah I remember something about that.

BK and Vacs are most likely to be wp out of the box and tbh vacs aren't that much more expensive than a trip to the mall after you've bought the cheaper one anyway.

Unfortunately each watch can be different so it might be best to get a vac where you know it's been tested rather than risking it.

flipside94

Wow the helium valve being backwards would really suck!

Ska you make a great point about the cost of the watch being similar after getting it tested by a third party.

Great info guys...much appreciated