Sign in to follow this  
erang

Noobmariner arrival

erang

Hi all,

Yesterday I received a submariner I ordered about a week ago.

Not wanting to re-ignite the Noobmariner debate I'll just say that I purchased the watch from a trusted and well appreciated dealer that probably does provide the actual noobmariner.

All in all, I had a smooth transaction and I am quite pleased with the watch. It has an A21J movement that appears to be keeping good time and It looks well detailed in terms of dial, cyclop, rehaut, CG, bezel.

The bracelet could have been better mostly in the end links area... (there is a gap between the end links and the bracelet, the fit to the case is not perfect etc.).

The hands color is not exactly the same as the dial's indices.

What disturbs me the most is the lume issue.

This watch is almost without lume at all. The dial's lume is extremely weak, the hands have almost no lume at all and so does the pearl.

This is a big issue for me. I look enviously at other subs, some a lot less regarded than the legendary Noobmariner, and see them "burning up" rather nicely...

Not having the proper tools and know-how I was wondering who can fix this issue for me and how far will it set me back...

Here are some (crappy) pics:

05082010054.jpg

05082010053.jpg

05082010051.jpg

Eran

Eiderdaus

The weakish lume is another "discussion point" you read already I guess. For me it´s very disturbing as well and I can understand you totally. I started to work on that issue maybe you are interested in

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...mp;#entry111069

cheers Eider

erang

Good Morning,

After a few days of wrist time, I think I'm ready to perform an oil treatment for the bracelet. It still has some factory grime and it squeaks too...

What is the Board's 'official' best practice? I've stumbled upon the WD40, Bike lube, Silicon approaches.

How do I remove the bracelet from the case without damaging it?

Thanks,

Eran

AllergyDoc

You remove the bracelet with a springbar tool or a small jewelers screwdriver. Doing it carefully will minimize scratches on the case.

My preference is the bike lube method because it's easy and fast. I've lubed bracelets without removing the case. You just have to be careful.

Del
My preference is the bike lube method because it's easy and fast. I've lubed bracelets without removing the case. You just have to be careful.

Sorry to but-in here....

I tried searching for "the bike lube method" ( :Whistle:;) ) but to no avail. Any chance of a quick explanation? ;)

atmos

how much have you pay ?

KBH

I would strongly recommend getting some 320 grit wet or dry sandpaper and rounding the sharp edges of the bracelet. That makes it feel much better also.

Eiderdaus

I was giving 2 bracelets the "Macscouver Method"

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=24506# you can find it here.

I was doing a mistake at the first bracelet and using stainless steel glossy polish and the bracelet was not looking brushed anymore. So I´ve done the Macscouver method and was using a scotch brite. now it looks brushed again but I am not convinced that all 316L can look like 904L. The supreme 16610LV ( that I still cannot wear due to missing bezel insert) has a very nice satin look. this steel looks like the gen bracelet. it got that white shine. I haven´t done treatment on that because I fear that it will lose this shine, although I know that the bracelet has some fabric dirt in it.

I have the feeling that the noobs steel is a bit darker, hardly visible in room light condition but visible in some angles when the sunlight is shining on it. could be only my impression..

I am curious about the "bike lube method" too ;)

The other thing what I was doing with the first bracelet, i brushed it with white toothpaste, that was working good too.

AllergyDoc

Sorry to but-in here....

I tried searching for "the bike lube method" ( :Whistle:;) ) but to no avail. Any chance of a quick explanation? ;)

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...ic=5898&hl=

P_Diddy

The lube treatment is best done with the bracelet removed, then you can swirl and 'drown' the bracelet

best to pat the bracelet dry and leave un worn for several days.

erang

Thank you all!

I guess I'll try the bike lube method. It looks easy enough.

BTW KBH, the bracelet rough, sharp edges do not bother me that much. I'll let time do it's job in this area

Eran

AllergyDoc

I did the 600 grit sandpaper thing and didn't feel it helped at all. Might have done it wrong, though. Who knows?

erang

Hi,

Just a quick (and bad...) update.

My watch is NO LONGER working!

A few days ago the crown had stopped popping out when unscrewed and needed a little urging.

Since yesterday, the watch no longer winds automatically (I haven't tried to manually wind it).

This is a HUGE disappointment. I thought these were supposed to be good value for money watches and here I am, with a 3 weeks old dead watch...

Eran

KBH

Bummer. Unless you have someone local that could take a look at it, I'd contact the dealer immediately and set up a repair or replacement.

It happens all too often, but there are lots of reps that last for many years. A good dealer will straighten it out for you.

erang
Bummer. Unless you have someone local that could take a look at it, I'd contact the dealer immediately and set up a repair or replacement.

It happens all too often, but there are lots of reps that last for many years. A good dealer will straighten it out for you.

Yeah... I'll give it a try

Eiderdaus

disassembled keyless work ?

gB.

That is one good looking watch! :lol:

erang
disassembled keyless work ?

I really can't tell... Can you explain?

Eran