Sign in to follow this  
cigator

Explain Price v Quality

cigator

As I continue my study of the replica world, I see many replicas under $150. I also see the same models over $300. I understand that some of the price difference is attributable to an Eta movement vs. Asian. But I was wondering if the case, dial, band are identical in detail and quality, and all you are paying more for is the movement? If i'm not mistaken, these Eta movements can be purchased for well under $100, probably much cheaper if purchased in bulk. If a goal in purchasing replicas is to get the appearance and style of the original, does spending 3 to 4 times more make any sense?

greg_r

It's more complicated than that. Sometimes you can pick up a 21J powered watch for $130 that is otherwise identical to a $300 version of the same thing. The second hand will not beat as smoothly, but otherwise it will be pretty much the same. A lot of the time, however, there will be other differences too - the dial will be better, the case will be a more accurate shape, lume will be there on the expensive model and not on the cheaper one. It really depends on the watch you're looking at.

There are also occasions when the exact same watch is available with either the Asian 'clone ETA' movement or a genuine ETA. Generally, however, in those instances the price differences are relatively small (unless we're talking about watches with working chronos, in which case they're almost always Asian movements) and, providing you are buying from a dealer who can be relied upon to tell the difference between the two (mainly PrestigeWatchCo and WatchInternational), the swiss movement may well be worth the extra.

As a general rule, most quality replicas fall in the $200 - $350 region. There are exceptions in both directions, but I find myself paying close to $300 for all of my better watches.

dingle
It's more complicated than that. Sometimes you can pick up a 21J powered watch for $130 that is otherwise identical to a $300 version of the same thing. The second hand will not beat as smoothly, but otherwise it will be pretty much the same. A lot of the time, however, there will be other differences too - the dial will be better, the case will be a more accurate shape, lume will be there on the expensive model and not on the cheaper one. It really depends on the watch you're looking at.

There are also occasions when the exact same watch is available with either the Asian 'clone ETA' movement or a genuine ETA. Generally, however, in those instances the price differences are relatively small (unless we're talking about watches with working chronos, in which case they're almost always Asian movements) and, providing you are buying from a dealer who can be relied upon to tell the difference between the two (mainly PrestigeWatchCo and WatchInternational), the swiss movement may well be worth the extra.

As a general rule, most quality replicas fall in the $200 - $350 region. There are exceptions in both directions, but I find myself paying close to $300 for all of my better watches.

+1

well said G. I have noticed after the noob status wears off, all of us seem to congregate towards the $300 reps........except for the "cheapie thread" of course :D

barkingtoad

WELL SAID :D

KBH

One other thing that Greg missed is that in some cases the more expensive will have sapphire crystal and the cheaper model may have only mineral glass. this is something that you would never know until you scratched it.

Go Gators!!

prestigewatchco

This sapphire crystal thing is vastly overplayed. There are many grades in sapphire crystal and not all are better than treated mineral in terms of scratch resistance

skintrade

A worthwhile thread, as it is a question that most newbies are going to ask, I know I certainly did.

Member X
This sapphire crystal thing is vastly overplayed. There are many grades in sapphire crystal and not all are better than treated mineral in terms of scratch resistance

Fair point!

I think what Greg says is correct - when you're starting off you want lower priced stuff, to ease you into reps while not spending too much money in case you're disappointed.

Once you realise what amazing stuff there is out there, and appreciate what the extra money buys, you will buy your first $250+ rep. At which point you will realise that the more expensive ones are usually even better!

So you then shuffle the cheapies out of your watch box while refilling it with more expensive stuff.

I know I have some sales to list soon, to help (in some tiny way lol) to release some funds to pay for my more expensive ones! :D

greg_r
One other thing that Greg missed is that in some cases the more expensive will have sapphire crystal and the cheaper model may have only mineral glass. this is something that you would never know until you scratched it.

Go Gators!!

Thanks KBH - I knew I was missing something when I was writing that... d'oh! :D

cigator

Go Gators!!

I am always partial to any poster that includes GO GATORS!!!

dingle

Go Gators!!

...and who are the Gators again? :P

reacz

Go Gators!!

Yeah, I brought my first rep for around £74 and it had mineral glass, major bummer when I scratched it and couldn't get the damage out. :P

Having to goto a watch smith to get the glass replaced, anyone know if it is possible to replace it with Sapphire and not another mineral glass front?

Edited by reacz

Member X

What watch is it?

If it's a Panerai there's a good chance you can get a sapphire ;)

If it's one of the less common ones, you may not be lucky... :P

reacz
What watch is it?

If it's a Panerai there's a good chance you can get a sapphire :D

If it's one of the less common ones, you may not be lucky... :D

It is a Vacheron Constantine Overseas, I'm going to try my local watch smith today to see what they can do... :D

Brightlight

Go Gators!!

...and who are the Gators again? :D

Don't tell me this is another group of chaps who play one of your unfathomable american games that no-one else plays? :D You people really should take up some proper sports, not only will it be better for you, but you will actually be able to compete with other countries! :D

dingle

Go Gators!!

...and who are the Gators again? ;)

Don't tell me this is another group of chaps who play one of your unfathomable american games that no-one else plays? :facepalm: You people really should take up some proper sports, not only will it be better for you, but you will actually be able to compete with other countries! :D

BL---with all due respect ....:D

:D