Sign in to follow this  
James.

Telling people your rep is a gen

dv8

Sometimes wearing a rep can make you look like a lesser person for some people. I think its ok to lie to those people if you reputation is going to be compromised.

James.

What about insinuation? As in, people do not ask you about your watch, but you're a person who'll happily rattle off "check out my new Rolex/Panerai/XYZ" so someone who didn't actually ask? Whilst not 100% blatantly lying, you're not saying "check out my new Gen Rolex" but by calling it a "Rolex" or essentially not a "rep Rolex" are you not relying on the hopeful presumption of said watch being authentic?

:popcorn:

BaggyPants

I would never ask anyone to "check out" my watch. It's what braggards do. I have no interest in impressing anyone with material things.

greg_r

What about insinuation? As in, people do not ask you about your watch, but you're a person who'll happily rattle off "check out my new Rolex/Panerai/XYZ" so someone who didn't actually ask? Whilst not 100% blatantly lying, you're not saying "check out my new Gen Rolex" but by calling it a "Rolex" or essentially not a "rep Rolex" are you not relying on the hopeful presumption of said watch being authentic?

I'd be less concerned about lying and more concerned about being a 'watch bore' :lol:

Calcidose

It's alie, you can choose to lie to your friends or not.

But you mustn't make money with this !

marressey

That'd be vulgar. I would never ask someone to "check out" my watch (or anything else for that matter).

James.

100% but there may be some who do...

dfq23

"Pana what? Is that like a rolex?"

Pseudonym
I lie continuously about my reps being gen, in fact I even lie about my gens being rep :)

What you doing on here??? Didn't i tell you, not to use my computer??? Bad dog!! :lol:

A joke in bad taste. Apologies. My dog shares the same name.

Re: topic. I don't go out my way to tell anyone it's a rep, if I'm asked I love to see the reaction... "Really!?! May I see it?"

If I'm wearing a gen, all I get is... "Nice watch"

Dr. Jimmy

Whilst close friends know I collect reps, with anyone else my attitude is that It's nobody's fucking business whether it's gen or rep... If they're impertinent enough to ask, they deserve whatever sarcasm I can summon at the time.

So my answer to your question would be "who cares?" ;)

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, but Greg said it first. Family & friends know I collect reps, otherwise it's nobody else's business. Besides, very rarely does anyone ask about my watches anyway.

Pseudonym

"Panerai? Never heard of them?"

Calcidose

We mustn't forgive that having a rep is forbidden so we can't tell it to evreyone !

Edited by Calcidose

RichardMiami

1. In my short 92 years on this planet, I have been complimented on my wrist wear approximately 7,492 times.

2. Of those, 7,372 (about 98.4%) have been identical .... "nice watch". My universal reply has been "Thank you".

3. Of the remaining 120 .... 118 have been "what time is it?". My universal reply has been an announcement of the current local time accurate to whatever I happened to set the watch at that day.

4. Of the remaining 2..............

a. Is it a Rolex? To which I replied, no.

b. How much did that cost? To which my response was more physical than verbal... <<<<<<<CONTENT REMOVED BY ORDER OF ATTORNEY>>>>>>>>>

James.

92? You must have a vigorous moisturizing regiment. Id have thought you to be not a day older than 84! :lol:

Kleen™
I think its ok to lie to those people if you reputation is going to be compromised.

Can anyone identify the fucking irony in the above statement...

RichardMiami

92? You must have a vigorous moisturizing regiment. Id have thought you to be not a day older than 84! :lol:

moisturizing? Why do you think all of us REALLY OLD farts live in Florida???????

fucking humidity

dfq23

1. In my short 92 years on this planet, I have been complimented on my wrist wear approximately 7,492 times.

2. Of those, 7,372 (about 98.4%) have been identical .... "nice watch". My universal reply has been "Thank you".

3. Of the remaining 120 .... 118 have been "what time is it?". My universal reply has been an announcement of the current local time accurate to whatever I happened to set the watch at that day.

4. Of the remaining 2..............

a. Is it a Rolex? To which I replied, no.

b. How much did that cost? To which my response was more physical than verbal... <<<<<<<CONTENT REMOVED BY ORDER OF ATTORNEY>>>>>>>>>

Ah but is your black bay real..... ;) that's kind of a rolex I guess in same way a swatch is an omega

RichardMiami

Ah but is your black bay real..... ;) that's kind of a rolex I guess in same way a swatch is an omega

These little smiley faces occasionally are capable of saving lives, ya think?

seanjames

I find here in the UK in the deepest regions of East Anglia, unless your wearing a Rolex, Tag or Omega no one ever notices your watch, then you may get the pleb "is it real" speach, if its something else youre wearing B&R, IWC, AP PAM etc I've never had a comment, most people don't notice and if someone did they are probably a REP fan anyhow.

dfq23

I find here in the UK in the deepest regions of East Anglia, unless your wearing a Rolex, Tag or Omega no one ever notices your watch, then you may get the pleb "is it real" speach, if its something else youre wearing B&R, IWC, AP PAM etc I've never had a comment, most people don't notice and if someone did they are probably a REP fan anyhow.

East Anglia? Are you Norfolk N good or Suffolk N what? Edited by dfq23

seanjames

Cambs

JohnG

Why would you feel the need to pass your Rep of as a Gen. Maybe to impress. what other possible explanation could there be.

If so this impression is a false one and as such is not worth 2 bob !!

Besides people seem far more impressed at the rep , and quite often don' t believe you anyway, that's down to them.

I have principle running down my back bone , therefore lying over a authenticity of a watch doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Dal.

+100

dfq23

Cambs

Ah much less in bred than us lot further east. What you said times a thousand over here. Most think of sekonda being a top name just because they sponsored take me out!

seclark007

Newspaper advice columnist Ann Landers once told someone: “If you knew how little people thought of you, you wouldn't worry how little people think of you.” If this simple truth was universally applied to our hobby, I think it would be the end to the horological neuroses that many seem to have.

What I find most interesting is the number of people who post to these numerous threads - or their redheaded cousins, thinly veiled as a completely different question this time - who feel the need to include the line "I can easily afford the gens..." or words to that effect. Most of us are adult males who work...quite sure that many of us 'could' afford to buy gens too. It seems to me that adding the money comment is a manifestation of the neurotic self loathing within our own community. I mean, we know why we're here. I could care less if you can afford the gen, but I appreciate you sharing your joy at the acquisition of a new piece for your personal collection.

Issue of choice - choose to wear a rep or gen...choose to lie about it or tell the truth....choose to admit that you buy them because you want them to look like the gen or buy homage pieces because they "have the look".

s

Mystery Shopper

I have been wearing multiple watches in rotation for the last 25 years. In all that time I have only ever had:

• 'nice watch' once. From by director's PA. It was my Rolex sub, she didn't know what it was but thought it was nice. I said, 'thanks'.
  • I wore my ML gen at home when a work mate came to dinner. She said, ' you don't normally wear that one!' She used to work in a jewellers in a previous life and asked if it was automatic.

Most people don't care. They wear one watch until it breaks and then buy another one.