Sign in to follow this  
James.

Telling people your rep is a gen

Nnilswerdna

So. There's no problem wearing my 111 to an AD right?

Horophile

I just give them the "Who the fuck do you think you are" face.. Works everytime

Beerfridge

My opinion is thusly,

99% of people don't care, give a toss, know the difference between brands, know the cost of gens, etc etc etc. They may have many other hobbies and interests but in this area, they are ignorant. Genuine watches WILL NOT IMPRESS these people, so a rep sure as hell won't! (excepting the few people who are blown away at how close you can come for so little a fraction of the cost of a gen)

Now the 1%. The few people who actually give a shit about whats on the wrist of those around them, are the very people who will spot it for what it is. Replica watches WILL VERY MUCH NOT IMPRESS these people!

Put simply, if you're sporting your new Omega seamaster bond 50 year anniversary piece, rep or gen, and you walk into a room of 100 women. Don't think the watch will have the same affect on them as it does on the likes of us on here. You've a better chance connecting over a shared love of bacon. She just might weigh more than you is all.

dfq23

Got a mate who has seen all my watches and commented on how good the quality is so he decided he wanted one. He has a good job and not short of a few quid so could easily get a gen. Showed him the dealer sites, knowing his taste recommended a few things. All was in vain as he only wanted a fake armani from aliexpress as "well it's an armani and it comes with the box"

marressey

This sums it all up, really:

"It seems to me that adding the money comment is a manifestation of the neurotic self loathing within our own community."

And the bottom line is, and will always be: Other people couldn't give a flying f*ck in a rolling donut what you wear on your wrist.

Newspaper advice columnist Ann Landers once told someone: “If you knew how little people thought of you, you wouldn't worry how little people think of you.” If this simple truth was universally applied to our hobby, I think it would be the end to the horological neuroses that many seem to have.

What I find most interesting is the number of people who post to these numerous threads - or their redheaded cousins, thinly veiled as a completely different question this time - who feel the need to include the line "I can easily afford the gens..." or words to that effect. Most of us are adult males who work...quite sure that many of us 'could' afford to buy gens too. It seems to me that adding the money comment is a manifestation of the neurotic self loathing within our own community. I mean, we know why we're here. I could care less if you can afford the gen, but I appreciate you sharing your joy at the acquisition of a new piece for your personal collection.

Issue of choice - choose to wear a rep or gen...choose to lie about it or tell the truth....choose to admit that you buy them because you want them to look like the gen or buy homage pieces because they "have the look".

s

Kcore

Owning reps is a personal choice.

Being a liar is an ethical compromise.

This I like +1,00000!

I own both reps and gens. I have gotten a few compliments from strangers on my watches over the years. No one asked a direct question about the watch I was wearing like what make and I've just replied with a polite thank you.

My friends know I collect watches and any that have asked direct questions about a watch I happen to be wearing were informed it was a gen or a rep. I've never offered up a lie to any of them.

There is one person and his wife that are friends through the Mrs. My wife can find good and redeeming value in most, not all, but most ( G-d bless her) This couple is obnoxious, self centered, full of themselves braggards who worship "the label." I have gone out of my way to show the husband some rep watches I own (Breguet, JLC, Cartier) and have outright lied about them being gen. I made it a point to say this one cost 30K and that one cost even more, etc., etc. I then sat back and totally enjoyed the husband racing over to his wife to say that I own a 30 or 50K watch and if I have one he should have one too. My Mrs., well she called me an evil bastard for doing this but always added, a very loveable evil bastard :)

black263

I would rather be outed as wearing a replica watch (big deal), than being a liar (REALLY, REALLY BIG DEAL, from which in my position it would be hard to escape)

Calcidose

Being a liar is a choice but you can't tell the truth to everyone ! Wearing a rep in not allowed.

dfq23

It's like getting the missus a cubic zirconia engagement ring and telling her it's a diamond but without the inherent danger of doing that

AndyBlue

Where I live we are all fabulously Rich and all wear Gens, I only come on here to look down my nose at you lot... :lmao:

BaggyPants
Being a liar is a choice but you can't tell the truth to everyone ! Wearing a rep in not allowed.

No laws in my country to prevent you owning or wearing a replica of anything.

dfq23

Serious question time. Is it considered worse to wear a rep watch or to wear an accurist or rotary specifically made to look like another more expensive watch to appeal to buyers because of this. At least the rep is being honest about what it is I guess.

Edited by dfq23

JohnG

Serious question time. Is it considered worse to wear a rep watch or to wear an accurist or rotary specifically made to look like another more expensive watch to appeal to buyers because of this. At least the rep is being honest about what it is I guess.

How about a sterile homage? Which is more honest? Sterile homage, branded homage, or replica?

Now THERE is a serious question. :lol:

James.

Now THERE is a serious question.

There is no spoon?

Rolexwatchman

So many similar topic like this today...

ag69

Who cares!! I buy gens and reps because I like them. I dont' give a shit what others think. If they have an issue with my rep, then they should go out and buy me a gen version of it!!

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

Most people generally could care less.....

Even if they do mostly , you get a throwaway comment like..... nice watch there pal..

I could care less and will tell depending on whom asks and my mood...

i'm just as likely to lie about my reps as I am about my gens.... it's nobody's else's frikkin business but my own..

JasperB

There's this asshole at work, a real twat, and he admired my rep AP ROO, so I said it had cost me 5K USD pre owned. I had a week of him hassling me to buy it from me for 5.5K. USD. Naturally I declined, but I wished I'd just said it's a rep.

Ilikewaches

I've never had anyone ask me if it was real or not, but then again the watches fit my lifestyle, easy to think it could be real because I can afford the real deal as well and have several nice gens.

seanjames
I've never had anyone ask me if it was real or not, but then again the watches fit my lifestyle, easy to think it could be real because I can afford the real deal as well and have several nice gens.

Thanks.....FFS

Realism

u got receipt for your reps James?

seanjames
u got receipt for your reps James?

?? X

Del

This can't be a serious question, surely? Let's see then....

You can walk into virtually any high-street jewellers/department store/catalogue shop and legally buy an Accurist or Rotary, or you can order them online from anywhere in the world without fear of them being seized by Customs. However, reps are illegal copies of expensive watches that are made in China by "factories" controlled by people who you wouldn't want to seriously upset and are continually at risk of being seized and destroyed by Customs.

And you described reps as being honest? :rofl:

Doomsday

I agreed with most of you that why care what other thinks if it is a rep or gen.

I'd like to share my story,

There was a guy at work who has Omega rep. and he bragged around buying the piece from a trip to Switzerland and condemned those who buy counterfeit watches,

he even came down at me once trying to tell my other co-workers I wore a fake watch (actually it is a homage, unbranded blackout dial radiomir with gunny strap!)

I just smiled and told him to GTFO

The next morning I wore my rep.PO, thinking if he nosed in again I would shout in front of others by saying that

"I bought it in a flea market from a trip to china and It seems to be a lot better made than yours"

Funnily enough, he thought I was wearing a gen and try to keep a distance from me ever since.

The man was so pathetic I said nothing and let it go.

Edited by Doomsday

Dr Yan

some people think too much !!!

about the wrong things ;)

Edited by Dr Yan