Sign in to follow this  
graman

Replacing a crystal on a Seiko

graman

Greetings all - Had a bit of a fixer project over the last couple of weeks, assisted via remote pm by Mr. Off Shore - Resident legend.

Many thanks to OS for his patience and generosity in helping me make my Father in law a very happy man!

My Father in law used his Gold 20 year work anniversary seiko as his daily beater...until one day the Crystal went blam!

My Father in law was a Sawyer in a timber yard, and when made redundant, found work in the trades department of his local TAFE or Apprentice training polytechnic (for those of you who aren't Australian)

He's also a very hairy bugger...you can see one of his arm hairs has worked it's way into the watch through the crack in the crystal!

0brokenseiko.jpg

So...pics are missing on this bit...

OS tells me to get the crystal out and the plastic ring, which was utterly buggered, then clean it up.

Here it is ready to go

3readytogoseiko.jpg

At this point, I must say a heartfelt thanks to OS who very kindly sent me a crystal and some UV glue for this little venture.

UV glue and toothpick at the ready, I started to dab onto the ledge holding the crystal.

4glueonrimseiko.jpg

5glueonrimseiko.jpg

I did this sparingly, so there would be no dribble of extra glue. Please note I had a bucket load of acetone at the ready if I screwed this up!

Crystal is dropped in, and to avoid any sticky fingers or prints, I used a skewer to ensure it was in place.

6pushincrystalseiko.jpg

Now into the sun for 24 hours to cure.

PAUSE II

.....And we're back.

Crystal is set and cured

7gluesetseiko.jpg

After a quick clean, the crystal is fingerprint and dust free, ready for assembly.

7casereadyseiko.jpg

Dial is brushed, blown and rodicoed!

Drop!

8returnmovementseiko.jpg

Align the movement so the stem will slip in..

9returnmovementseiko.jpg

Grease the crowns o ring

10greasecrownseiko.jpg

Fit...click! ;)

11stemreturnseiko.jpg

And now the spacer

12spaceringseiko.jpg

Battery time....in you go

14batteryseiko.jpg

A bit of grease on the o ring for the case back

13greasebackseiko.jpg

Fit.

15closedseiko.jpg

Finish!

16finishedseiko.jpg

One day..I'll work out how to re-plate it, and then give him a suprise!

Once again....many thanks to Offshore...I would never have managed this efficiently without him...actually...probably wouldn't have done it....I didn't have the first clue!

trailboss99

Well done mate and well done Offshore!

Col.

greg_r

Nice job, mate! ;)

offshore

G'man,

Love your work!! ;)

We'll have you before the apprenticeship board in no time flat.

Seriously, very nice work, ...you are cleaner and more particular than is yours truly...I give you the drum.

If you finally want to replate that case, I have an EXCELLENT plater up here in Brisvegas, not cheap, but he is one of the best going.

(He did a bunch of gold work on a $32M Superyacht for me a few years back, and does work from all over the world.)

Big congrats on that job, hope it bought some joy to the FIL.

And tell him not all watch people are ratbags!! :lol:

O/S

graman

Hey! Thanks OS!

I'm feelin' empowered!

The FIL was stoked.....couldn't get the smile off his face.

He wears one of the first Omega deville quartz tank watches for good (had it reco'ed about 12 months ago) but he misses the seiko...it's pretty important to him.

He retires at the end of the year. If he's keen, I'll nick it off him and send it up. Also have my Dad's '68 Tissot Seastar that I can add in to the mix ;)

Keen to play a bit more now....going to have to pull down my pam 111 for a play....

Then have my brother's noobmariner (now about 3 yo and losing a few minutes per day) that I can practice on....If I can get that going well, then I might try my hand at re-luming! :lol:

(one step at a time).

OS...owe you a big one on this mate....I wouldn't have had the first clue how to do this one, and it was bloody easy once you're told how!

Big thanks for the help and the spares!