Sign in to follow this  
Drhulee

Ever notice that ...

Drhulee

.... most watch repair equipment/tools looks like it was made in the 50's?

Even computerized watch timing equipment, used to regulate the movements, looks like it just came off a lab bench from the 70's.

Do they still manufacture the stuff, or is there just a huge warehouse full of NOS :notworthy:

AustinTech

I have noticed that.

I wonder if new stuff is only bought by the big dogs of the industry, and the smaller players get the leftovers from th 70's.

Or maybe the old stuff just keps on working. No reason to replace something that isn't broke - esp when you are looking to make a profit. I've been in factories with all sorts of measuring devices, even critical machinery that is 50-100 yrs old. It isn't replaced cause it still works fine.

Drhulee
I have noticed that.

I wonder if new stuff is only bought by the big dogs of the industry, and the smaller players get the leftovers from th 70's.

Or maybe the old stuff just keps on working. No reason to replace something that isn't broke - esp when you are looking to make a profit. I've been in factories with all sorts of measuring devices, even critical machinery that is 50-100 yrs old. It isn't replaced cause it still works fine.

Improvements can always be made, new materials used, computer interfaces added, aesthetics updated, at least to justify the prices which have kept up-to-date :notworthy:

JohnG

You mean like the new watch lathe model slated to come out late this year?:

boleyf1o.JPG

prestigewatchco

Not much they can do with a screwdriver to update it

Drhulee

Yup, that would be a good example. Is it actually powered by electricity, or does it hook up to a pedal under the bench that you've got to keep pumping to give it energy?

Drhulee
Not much they can do with a screwdriver to update it

Every heard of a batter powered screwdriver, or of the different metals to make the bits stronger or anti-magnetic? Even a lowly screwdriver gets improved over time. :)

Brightlight

Yes but ever noticed how mechanical watches look like they were built in the 50s (or in the case of 6497 movements, the 1890s even)? In reality mechanical watches are anachronisms, quartz watches, much as I hate them, do everything better and more accurately.

I guess it's reasonable to expect yesteryear tools for yesteryear watches. I do think the manufacturers take the piss though, a watch timer with about the same processing power as a calculator along with a multimeter screen plus simple software can be $500+

JohnG
Yes but ever noticed how mechanical watches look like they were built in the 50s (or in the case of 6497 movements, the 1890s even)? In reality mechanical watches are anachronisms, quartz watches, much as I hate them, do everything better and more accurately.

I guess it's reasonable to expect yesteryear tools for yesteryear watches.

Yup.

Its kinda cool too, when there are some things that never change. Like Lorna Doone cookies. Or the broadsheets.

Brightlight

Yup.

Its kinda cool too, when there are some things that never change. Like Lorna Doone cookies. Or the broadsheets.

Lorna Doone cookies? WTF? Whatever next - Oliver Twist Soup, William Tell Applejuice, Bambi Venison.....................

JohnG

Yup.

Lorna Doone cookies? WTF? Whatever next - Oliver Twist Soup, William Tell Applejuice, Bambi Venison.....................

Dude, in the States, most people would be like, "What? They wrote a novel about shortbread cookies?" :)

Brightlight

Yup.

Dude, in the States, most people would be like, "What? They wrote a novel about shortbread cookies?" :)

:rolleyes: I realise that but it's still funny

Drhulee

Why do I get the feeling that another one of your hobbies may be restoring antique furniture, but only using the same tools they used before the 18th century. :D

Brightlight

Why do I get the feeling that another one of your hobbies may be restoring antique furniture, but only using the same tools they used before the 18th century. :D

Not quite but restoring old guitars yes. However, much as I love old tools, I have a couple of wooden bodied planes for example which if properly set up are a pleasure to use, I prefer the routers/planers/bandsaws/etc of the current age. I'm not that much of a masochist :D

Drhulee

I just can't believe how rudimentary most watch tools are. Whas the Presto Hand Remover the only advancement in watch tool design:D

Ska

Nothing wrong with a spokeshave and some microplanes though eh BL. :D