Sign in to follow this  
snowykim

How much would you pay for a dream replica?

snowykim

We have seen many replicas standing above non modded ones from TDs. For example, a BK DSSD with PbDAD mod costs 2K...

For me, I can't justify more than 10% of gen for over 10K. After all, it is a still replica after heavy mod, isn't it? As someone mentioned before, only fraction of people you encounter will ever have interest in what you are wearing and 99% of them won't know the difference if it is moderately modded. Yes, you need to avoid members from this forum:)

Kleen™

My limit is usd500,- INCLUDING a strap replacement when applicable!

More than that and I go gen...

StormyNight

I'd never pay more than £500 for any replica, no matter how good or "Franken" it was.

Calcidose

500 usd seems to be a good limit or you should buy a gen.

nyckid

A soon as I read your post, I went to your joining date and boom! Sure enough, you have no idea what you're talking about. Needless to say you have -15% of knowledge about this "HOBBY"

It is a hobby 'bruh' who ares if it is "still a rep" after some modding? Ami certainly don't. Nor do I care if it costs $500+ ;)

Cheers,

The kid

Horlogeman

The highest price I have paid for a replica is € 600,- (Something like $ 790,-) but that was for one time. I will never do it again. My limit right now is € 300,- ($ 400,- or something).

Daywatch

The visually same top-reps should be available with Asian move below 420 usd better below 320 usd. Already broke my thumbrule of 1:10 when going for the Tudor BB and I hope that stays the only exception. Honestly the recent pricing of reps is taking out the fun of all of it and the quality has not improved, just the visual and not always (Noob V3 with Asian for more than 350 is .....?!!??)

Daywatch

Was speaking for otb-reps, self-built franken is something else, just depends if You love it unique.

RichardMiami

$400 USD... and in fact I have sold off my $400 reps. Top cost on a rep in my box right now is probably around $250.

We have several threads going on this exact subject all the time, so you probably won't get much attention here.

Stick around and read. Read the stickies in the Noob section. Read through General Discussion. Pick up on the knowledge around here and then ask all the questions you want.

We are a crusty group, but all with hearts of gold. (OK, not all)

NCRich

Never spent more than $350 nor would I.

Kleen™
$400 USD... and in fact I have sold off my $400 reps. Top cost on a rep in my box right now is probably around $250.

We have several threads going on this exact subject all the time, so you probably won't get much attention here.

Stick around and read. Read the stickies in the Noob section. Read through General Discussion. Pick up on the knowledge around here and then ask all the questions you want.

We are a crusty group, but all with hearts of gold. (OK, not all)

'tis true. I do have a hard of gold...

AS90

A soon as I read your post, I went to your joining date and boom!

So 10 months makes you an expert now does it?

nyckid

I guess not. Since 2 years haven't made you ;)

Olly

I payed over £600+ For my Planet Ocean :giggle: Yes i know thats too much but its cheaper than a gen and it looks 100% identical so do the math.

Rolexwatchman

from the td I say max 700$ (if it has tourbillon)

else is 500$

AS90

Didnt claim it had. I certainly wouldnt belittle someones opinion due to them having a low post count.

I payed over £600+ For my Planet Ocean :giggle: Yes i know thats too much but its cheaper than a gen and it looks 100% identical so do the math.

Pics! Oh, and mine better look as good!

Left Coast Guy

My limit is usd500,- INCLUDING a strap replacement when applicable!

More than that and I go gen...

I'm in the same boat. Under $500 feels like a novelty purchase range and I can justify it as part of this silly hobby. Over that and I'd just as soon get the real thing.

snowykim

Yes, I'm new to this world even though I have several nice gens including 96 white face 16520, 76 Omega fightmaster, 98 Datejust TT ten points, 96 Cartier Pasha C, 2012 B&R Aviation, etc

I have collected timepieces for the last 20 years and recently I stepped my foot in this ocean. I already spent $838 Breguet Tourbillon from TD which has been my dream watch and can't afford 123k price tag. Of course it is not 1-1 but still happy with automatic flying Tourbillon. Big question is how long it will last:)

And within a month period, I scooped up BK DSSD, BK YM, heavily modded 16610 from trusted member at RWI. Yes, three Pams as well. And I'm considering sending DSSD and YM to another level which costs another $1800... Last night, I asked to myself this same question. Is it really worth it???

If I offended some of established members here, my apology. I was just curios how other members feel.

Kleen™

I can't see how you could've offended anyone here...

nyckid
Yes, I'm new to this world even though I have several nice gens including 96 white face 16520, 76 Omega fightmaster, 98 Datejust TT ten points, 96 Cartier Pasha C, 2012 B&R Aviation, etc

I have collected timepieces for the last 20 years and recently I stepped my foot in this ocean. I already spent $838 Breguet Tourbillon from TD which has been my dream watch and can't afford 123k price tag. Of course it is not 1-1 but still happy with automatic flying Tourbillon. Big question is how long it will last:)

And within a month period, I scooped up BK DSSD, BK YM, heavily modded 16610 from trusted member at RWI. Yes, three Pams as well. And I'm considering sending DSSD and YM to another level which costs another $1800... Last night, I asked to myself this same question. Is it really worth it???

If I offended some of established members here, my apology. I was just curios how other members feel.

That's a nice collection there mate :)

Your query is valid. No offense here ;)

nyckid

There are members here whom have had some particular reps in their possession for years without a bump. You have to just take care of them, do not play around with the chronograph if they have chrono, try not to force wind them or things like that. It might guarantee you some nice years on your rep ;)

Calcidose

There are members here whom have had some particular reps in their possession for years without a bump. You have to just take care of them, do not play around with the chronograph if they have chrono, try not to force wind them or things like that. It might guarantee you some nice years on your rep ;)

+1

We have to care care of our reps ! They desserve that.

blueradish

Shit, I see a lot of people saying $400 and $500. Looks like the way things are going we'll see more and more over the $500 mark. Look at the AP Montauk, $568 from Toro and people are buying it up and while it is very close there are some serious tells. Hard for me to say, I would need to see the rep and just how good it is before putting a dollar value on it. For me it comes down to spending, say $750 on a rep that is 99.9% or picking up an affordable used gen for a few more dollars.

Olly

Didnt claim it had. I certainly wouldnt belittle someones opinion due to them having a low post count.

Pics! Oh, and mine better look as good!

guzepera.jpgbega9y6a.jpgu7y5upeh.jpg

grb

If you want/need a watch you have to pay what is required to own it, otherwise you didn't need it.

The watches you buy are only just outside your budget