Sign in to follow this  
offshore

Refurb today

offshore

Just a couple of quick and dirty shots of a Mappin & Webb quartz, I picked up over the weekend.

It was in shabby condition, has had a dial clean, a new crystal, battery and strap...(I'm thinking of a nicer strap than this now, as it has cleaned up so well.)

T'was a beautiful piece to work on, everything just 'fitted'.

Unknown quartz movement, never seen one like it before... I don't know whether M & W have "redialled" another brand as their own, or if this was something they built themselves.

Obviously dates to 1983, is solid gold, ( even the movement retainer is a solid gold piece )... I am thinking this ones on the way to the 'vault", as in "Not for sale". I just love its classic simplicity.

DSC01846.jpg

DSC01847.jpg

Some nice pieces floating around out there!

Offshore

prestigewatchco

I don't think Mappin and Webb actually produced watches themselves . During the 60's 70's 80's lots of retail jewellers in UK sold watches with their brand name on that were produced for them by larger watch making companies

Garrat was another as was H Samuels and Ratners

very nice none the less OS

greg_r

Very nice. The British Rail engraving may add to its value by the way - lots of railway nuts over here :(

Edit: A lot of earlier M&W wristwatches were actually produced by Longines, but I believe that stopped around WW2. Wouldn't be surprised if that one wasn't sourced from Rotary...

Member X

Quartz or not, that's still a nice piece that probably cost a group of work colleagues a fair wedge for someone's retirement!

Sad to see that the family didn't keep it. If he retired at 65 in 1983, he'd be knocking on a bit now... lol

graman

Lovely watch mate.....I can see why you like it.