Sign in to follow this  
zub3qin

I'm looking for a watch to buy- can you help me decide?

zub3qin

I am looking hard for a watch that suits my needs. I know there are tons of experts here, so I am counting on you to lead me in the right direction!

Here are some things I am looking for:

1) A not-too-large dial (40mm or so is fine)-I am not fond of the BIG watches.

2) A smooth sweep second hand (not in the subdial, but on the main dial) 28,800 bph preferably and automatic.

3) Easy to read date

4) Not Rolex and not quartz

5) Somewhat different looking than my omega seamaster chrono and tag link chrono. Black rubber strap/black case would be nice.

6) Clear caseback is desirable but not mandatory

I don't mind chrono watches, but it is important that the sweeping second hand is on the MAIN dial- I don't know if this exists.

So after extensive searching, these are the watches that sort of seem good, but none seems perfect:

But maybe they will give you an idea of what I am looking for.

1) Tag Carrera Vintage Limited Edition (see photo below)-

Cons: no date. Hand-wind. Will handwinding get old quickly?

2) IWC 3717 Black/black strap (see photo)

Cons: Large? Second hand on subdial only.

Can you run the chrono all the time to have the main dial second-hand running constantly or is this bad for the replica mechanism?

3) Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Cons- the replicas seem to be HUGE (45mm?) I know there used to be smaller ones (42mm?) Are these still avaialble? Do they come in a black face with a black rubber strap?

This is what I think I'd get if I had an option. Is there a Tag equivalent to this one?

Please help this newbie find a watch to buy!!!!

5913-cal1-front-1.jpg

3717BluePicnicTable.jpg

Brightlight

The best advice I can give you is read all you can on the forum including the advice provided for newbies then look at the recommended dealers' sections and do your research, perhaps contact the dealers with your questions. While people are willing to help, you cannot expect them to do everything for you and it is impossible to advise someone else which watch to buy really. Oh and patience really is a virtue in this business :D

coolin

of all my reps so far the Omegas have blown me away and look gen. I personally would stay clear of the chrono ver that way you will get more reliability and not so much can go wrong. I am almost sure you can get hold of the smaller case ver with black face and rubber strap just email a few of the trusted dealers for availability and pics that should do the trick

col

speedzmaster

Heuer Link

pollux1

3717, top drawer watch. You definitely won't regret it.

Member X

Bell & Ross.

http://www.bellross.com/uk/

Either the 03-92 or the 03-51.

Although you'll soon realise that they're a bit small, and you can then get an 01-96 :D

Luthier

Planet Ocean 42mm do exist, and it's with Swiss ETA. There's few more Omegas that fall under your description.

Surf our dealers subforums, there's plenty of good watches you'd want to buy.

Good luck!