Sign in to follow this  
Massimo

Super Sea Dweller from Eurotimez

Massimo

I thought I'd post this here, by way of adding a bit of watch content, relating to my SSD, purchased from Eurotimez back in October 2008.

I had a very straightforward transaction with Chris, and my Super Sea Dweller is, well, super - I love it. That little bit more chunkiness in the case compared with the Sub just seems right. Communication was good, and delivery was within two weeks from placing the order, and as per the expectations Chris set. I would certainly buy again with confidence.

On receipt it was running nearly a minute slow each day, but I've given the regulator a couple of tweaks and it's now down to -10 seconds, which I'm happy with. While I had the back off a couple of photos. I noticed the "ETA" and "2836-2" stamps and was pleased. The movement looks good to my untutored eye. Was that Chinese script inside the case back added by the QA person I wonder?

Finally, yes, that is my arm, and it is that pale. I am from the UK!

DSC01351.JPG

DSC01354.JPG

DSC01350.JPG

Update January 2009:

It's still going strong, still keeping time as described above and still one of my favourites. The only disappointment is the lume, which is quite poor, in common with most reps that haven't been "modded". I did have a Sub, Andrew's "Trusty" newbie version, but I found the cyclops annoying, and also the rotor noisy. That movement was the Asian NN2813 which winds only in one direction and therefore spins madly in the other. Happily I was able to sell it on and part-fund the SSD, which is silent, cyclops free and better finished too - albeit quite a bit more expensive.

I've subsequently read more about cloned ETA movements and don't worry too much if that's a genuine Swiss ETA. If a rep factory can clone all the stuff you see on the outside of the watch, and the likes of the Seagull movement is part-for-part identical to the equivalent ETA, I don't see why they couldn't manage a stamp saying "ETA" on the movement.

onzenuub

Nice posting.

AllergyDoc

I liked my SSD, too, but once I got the GMT-II C I hardly ever wore it.

It just needs a Watermaterial.com bezel insert and pearl.

SSDbezel2.jpg

SSDbezel1.jpg

Mine may sit a tad low on the crystal, but it's far better than the rep insert.

Massimo

Nice macro shots, Doc!

That bezel fix is about the most I'd tackle myself, but conveniently there's a recent sticky about popping the bezel so I do have the option. :thumbdown:

I have the non-ceramic GMT-II. It's nice, but I've seen your macro shots of the GMT-II C and it's a much better looking piece. That's my first rep though so I love it. It reminds me of that very special "first rep" unpacking moment. Sigh.

JohnG
Finally, yes, that is my arm, and it is that pale. I am from the UK!

Dude I know a few people from the UK and they are not THAT pale...

Have you checked your pulse lately?

;)

Great post - and yes, the writing is from Chris's QC guy. And the movement is definitely gen - forget the stamps, many clones have them, but you can see the click wheels are the "many hole" versions, which only appear on gen movements...

Enjoy! I have a SSD from Ruby and I love it!

alphakazi
you can see the click wheels are the "many hole" versions, which only appear on gen movements...

I'm not sure I'd go by that anymore - not even Chris was entirely sure on that one - a easy fix for the rep factory

but.. the fact that you are buying from Chris does make it reliable - with his track record you can be assured you are getting a real Swiss movement... (well assembled in Switzerland anyhow ;) )

JohnG
you can see the click wheels are the "many hole" versions, which only appear on gen movements...

I'm not sure I'd go by that anymore - not even Chris was entirely sure on that one - a easy fix for the rep factory

but.. the fact that you are buying from Chris does make it reliable - with his track record you can be assured you are getting a real Swiss movement... (well assembled in Switzerland anyhow ;) )

There was another article recently on this from BK http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/bk...09-01-10025.jpg - and as of yet there is no indication that the Chinese have repped the many hole click wheel. They would be doing it to fool one half of one tenth of one percent of their market...

Here are BK's reference pics...

2009-01-10025.jpg

2009-01-10013.jpg

greg_r

Good review. I have a Deep Sea, but I'll confess I've been tempted to pick up an SSD too - like you, I do like the fact that it doesn't have the cyclops :wub:

As far as the pale arm goes, well all I can say is that you must be from the frozen North ;)

JohnG
As far as the pale arm goes, well all I can say is that you must be from the frozen North :wub:

Or from the realm of the undead...

nosferatu11.jpg

oscarmadfish

real men are from the north and they are pale but they wear deep sea dwellers

IMG_0352.jpg

Massimo

I am from the frozen North - of England, but I get past that pale blue look when the Summer comes round.

I'm coming round to the Deep Sea, but do love my SSD.

alphakazi

but.. the fact that you are buying from Chris does make it reliable - with his track record you can be assured you are getting a real Swiss movement... (well assembled in Switzerland anyhow :wub: )

There was another article recently on this from BK http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/bk...09-01-10025.jpg - and as of yet there is no indication that the Chinese have repped the many hole click wheel. They would be doing it to fool one half of one tenth of one percent of their market...

Here are BK's reference pics...

2009-01-10025.jpg

2009-01-10013.jpg

good point - also, I noticed the "Swiss Made" on the rotor - you can see how clean the swiss is while the clone is a bit jagged as if one was stamped and the other was etched - also the font is different (check the "D") - still, I wouldn't put anything pasted these Chinese rep artists

greg_r
I am from the frozen North - of England, but I get past that pale blue look when the Summer comes round.

'sokay. I'm from the frozen Midlands, myself (living in the soggy South these days, though :wub:)

JohnG
good point - also, I noticed the "Swiss Made" on the rotor - you can see how clean the swiss is while the clone is a bit jagged as if one was stamped and the other was etched - also the font is different (check the "D") - still, I wouldn't put anything pasted these Chinese rep artists

Yeah, I noticed that font problem too.

They make them well but I doubt they will come out with a super ultimate v3 edition - what for? There just aren't enough of us anal types to make it worth their while. Hell they can't make a perfect sub - what are the chances of them making a perfect ETA?

That said, I really wish these fuckers would just be honest and call the clones clones and the gens gens. Puretime does this (and charges accordingly) and I think it is great. You can buy an IWC Ingy from him for $278 w/ ETA or $218 w/ clone ETA...

I will be getting the clone.

iabounty

Thanks Massimo, great watch, great dealer as well so I have been hearing. As for the pale wrist ..... Sunlamp....... :toilet:

JohnG
Thanks Massimo, great watch, great dealer as well so I have been hearing. As for the pale wrist ..... Sunlamp....... :toilet:

That would just make him explode in flames...

alphakazi

Yeah, I noticed that font problem too.

They make them well but I doubt they will come out with a super ultimate v3 edition - what for? There just aren't enough of us anal types to make it worth their while. Hell they can't make a perfect sub - what are the chances of them making a perfect ETA?

That said, I really wish these fuckers would just be honest and call the clones clones and the gens gens. Puretime does this (and charges accordingly) and I think it is great. You can buy an IWC Ingy from him for $278 w/ ETA or $218 w/ clone ETA...

I will be getting the clone.

and I'm sure most if not all Clone ETA come to the assembler in sealed packs vs the used, refurbished, dirty and FrakenGen ETA out there - Eurotimez is one of the dealers I'd trust to ensure a new Swiss ETA

the "swiss ETA" I received from Josh in my $300 SMP PO came with dirt, hair and mildew - no joke - I posted pics on the ole forum - must have been stored in a dungeon

JohnG

pubic hair?

alphakazi

it was real straight but.. well, it was from China so yea probably :lol:

JohnG
it was real straight but.. well, it was from China so yea probably :lol:

pyzamspidies.jpg

iabounty

"the "swiss ETA" I received from Josh in my $300 SMP PO came with dirt, hair and mildew - no joke - I posted pics on the ole forum - must have been stored in a dungeon "

Wow........ They must smuggle them into China in a vagina..........

alphakazi

there are some nasty ones out there I regret having the knowledge of, but not THAT bad :finger: