Sign in to follow this  
Kcore

IT'S ARRIVED - Steinhart Ocean One Vintage (PICS - Crazy Horse strap ADDED)

Kcore

Very impressed with Steinhart. As I indicated yesterday, I received an e-mail from Steinhart with FedExp tracking indicating my watch was being shipped. Today I checked tracking and my watch has left Munich Airport and expected delivery is tomorrow. That's 3 days from factory in Garching to my door in the U.S. - WOW.

Kcore

Good luck Chek - both are beauties, very different styles, diver & pilot but both stunning.

chekkarn

Thank you :)

Pilot first then diver I think. Please post photos when your beauty arrives!

Aren

I was working out of the house yesterday, so I missed this news.

WOW 2 emails from the prez. Nice

I have liked the Steinharts since I started seeing them...Del and SEClark and then others.

Very nice. Can't wait for the pix.

Trust it will arrive safely tomorrow.

:D

mrtsumoto80

Still waiting for my shipping email :suck:

Kcore

Today's update: My watch won't be delivered today! :sad:

Yesterday my watch was moving along nicely, it was airborn from Munich and on it's way to me in the U.S.. Last night my watch safely tranferred in Somma Lombardo, Italy and was again heading to the U.S. When I woke this morning I checked tracking and it safely arrived in Memphis, Tennessee awaiting Custom clearance.

At approx. 8:30 AM EST I receive a call from FedExp that Customs needs answers and won't clear my watch until I call. Seems Steinhart didn't provide all necessary info. that Customs requires. I call the FedExp rep and she say that Customs has gotten very strict regarding watches coming in from Europe. I would've thought they'd be on the lookout for goods coming from China. Nope, Europe is on the radar!

FedExp rep says that it happens, she seen many watches from Steinhart come and go without problem, but sometimes Customs gets tough. Anyway, these are the questions that Customs wanted to know:

1: does the watch use a battery

2: what is the case made of

3: if the watch has a bracelet, what metal is it made of. If a strap, what's it made of

5: does the watch contain Swiss parts

6: how many jewels

5: a breakdown of cost of the watches main parts. This was idiotic! Cost of case, bracelet, etc, etc.

I answered all questions easily except I explained I couldn't answer cost breakdown. The FedExp rep said she could use a standard breakdwon that will Custom's accepts. I asked her for the value that Steinhart declared and the generic cost breakdown FedExp uses. I wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be an major price difference that might impact or cause a "duty" owed.

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully my watch will clear, I won't be hit with a duty charge and I'll have it tomorrow or the next day.

P4GTR

That sucks K. I was hoping to see it today. If it's any consolation I have one due to arrive today that may not. So, I have that same "watch anticipation situation" feeling we all love to hate. :)

chekkarn

Hope it clears it fast!

axled

Damn these are beauties, but still not showing as available on the site. The 42mm is really a perfect size.

Kcore

HOORAY!!! as of 6:58 EST, my watch has cleared Customs. No ETA posted by FedExp but at least it's out of jail :)

Kcore

I’m thrilled to say tonight, my Steinhart Ocean One Vintage is safe and sound at home! Was it worth the wait? You bet!

Here’s my review:

I’d like to start by saying that the order process with the Steinhart company was very straight forward and simple. I found the company to be responsive to my e-mails. They answered all questions in a timely fashion and I found all comms with the company good.

There is only one complaint I have and that’s the company rep didn’t completely fill out the necessary U.S. Customs paperwork before shipping. This caused a delay in my watch being released and delivered. Luckily, the Fedexp rep at Customs called me and I was able to answer some technical questions that satisfied the Customs officials (You can read my earlier post about this).

The Ocean One arrived tight as a drum. Very well packaged and protected. After removing it from the FedExp outer packaging, the watch box itself was well wrapped in multi-layers of bubble wrap. There was a glossy white cardboard outer box that had the company name and logo on the top in silver. Inside the outer box was the watch box itself. This was a soft, black leather box, again with the Steinhart name and logo in silver on the top. The watch box has an outer leather flap that snaps over a small stainless ball to keep the lid shut tight. There is also a spring hinge concealed in the same black leather that keeps the lid open or closed.

The Ocean One itself just says quality and luxury. IMO, this watch has at least a 4-5X value to price ratio. I really believe the price of this watch will only be going up.

The watch dial is 42mm w/o the crown. The dial is a beautiful charcoal grey color ( Tropic style) that really looks stunning along with the wonderful vintage superluminova ( Old Radium) Arabic numerials, stick markers, indicies, pearl, and hands. Speaking of which, the hour hand is a thin Mercedes, the minute hand is slim, and the seconds is lollypop. This watch says “vintage” and looks the part. It’s reminiscent of a bygone era, like a 6538 sub.

The movt. Is Steinhart’s new automatic, ST.5, 11 ½” with hacking second hand. It has an anthracite galvanized bridges in cube-design, 28,800 vibrations per hour,25 jewels, shock protection with geometrically shaped, rotating spring with a decorated, skeletonized gold-plated rotor. This has to be one of the SMOOTHEST winding movements I’ve ever had the pleasure of winding. It’s amazing.

The crystal is a domed sapphire crystal with double anti-reflection coating on the inside with a height of 16mm. Lug width is 22mm. The bracelet is solid link SS with links removable with screws and micro adjustment on the diver clasp. The watch weighs in at almost 200 grams which incls the bracelet. This is a good solid watch but very well balanced that it’s not even felt on the wrist.

EDIT ADDITION: The bracelet consists of a total of 6 removeable links, 3 on each side of the buckle. Sizing is very simple as the links are held in place with screws. The screws have a nice feature that I haven't found on other type bracelets. That is, instead of the threads starting at the very begining of the screw, there is a small tapered section at the very tip of the screw without threads that act as a guide. I found that this allows the replacement of the screws quick and very simple to do as there's no hassle of first trying to catch the screw thread first.

I have a 6 5/8" wrist and like to wear my watches fairly snug up close to where my wrist meets my hand. To achieve this perfect fit, I had to remove 4 links ( 2 on each side) and adjust the clasp's micro adjust ment in 2 holes.

If you’re looking for a real quality gen vintage diver, manufactured with Swiss parts and having modern technology that won’t break the bank, look no further than the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage.

OK, on to the pics:

IMG_1868_zpsbd1eb5bd.jpg

IMG_1873_zps7ab7ae9a.jpg

IMG_1874_zpsa5e6d4a8.jpg

IMG_1876_zpse3f299fb.jpg

IMG_1879_zps8c1063eb.jpg

IMG_1890_zpsf17d9950.jpg

IMG_1896_zpsc82e0598.jpg

IMG_1897_zpsde9db455.jpg

IMG_1900_zps46eeef24.jpg

added lume shot

Steinhartlume_zps02720eb2.jpg

MikeAlmighty

This is nice K. I'm one step closer to an Ocean One Black purchase

chekkarn

Looking great! Also a nice read :) Enjoy

Del
:thumbsup:

Leigh

Very nice - I'm loving the Steinharts, enjoy.

Kcore

Thanks everyone. I'll try and post a lume shot today. As of this morning the Ocean One Vintage is spot on with the time. I set it last night with the Atomic Clock about 9:30 PM and it hasn't lost or gained a second.

mrtsumoto80

Clap Clap Clap!!!!!!

:q5:

Aren

Congratulations on a great watch.

It's beautiful.

Sorry you had some bumps in getting it. Customs sounded unusually nosey and nuisance like.

Glad it arrived safe and sound and that you like it so much. Enjoy it often. It looks great.

I really like the vintage look and will wait to see what your strap combos will be.

The lume is lovely. How long does it last?

If you posted that, I missed it...but what a great review and nice info on the watch.

Thanks for sharing!

Kcore

Congratulations on a great watch.

It's beautiful.

Sorry you had some bumps in getting it. Customs sounded unusually nosey and nuisance like.

Glad it arrived safe and sound and that you like it so much. Enjoy it often. It looks great.

I really like the vintage look and will wait to see what your strap combos will be.

The lume is lovely. How long does it last?

If you posted that, I missed it...but what a great review and nice info on the watch.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Aren!

Funny thing about those bumps with Customs. A very cool person ;) reminded me to channel positive energy during this bumpy period. I did and my watch cleared next day. Matter of fact, my watch cleared Customs and flew out of Memphis, Tenn. right before a major storm hit the area that shut down the Memphis AP!

Will report on how long the lume lasts with various charges. I'm still testing time keeping accuracy and PR.

Aren

Just curious about the lume. I imagine that as a gen lume, it lasts almost all night.

zufir

That's a nice looking piece you got there. Congratulation on the purchase :)

Kcore

Just curious about the lume. I imagine that as a gen lume, it lasts almost all night.

I'm sure it will glow all night. The specs do say, "Superluminova Vintage Old Radium." You can count on me to let you know.

That's a nice looking piece you got there. Congratulation on the purchase :)

Thanks Z!

Kcore

UPDATE: For anyone in the CONUS purchasing this O1V, I just received a bill from FedExp for $25.00 USD that was paid to US Customs for duty on this watch. This wasn't a surprise as I was aware that there probably was going to be a duty charge and that FedExp would foot the bill and then invoice me. I just didn't know how much, which now I do :giggle:

Aren

UPDATE: For anyone in the CONUS purchasing this O1V, I just received a bill from FedExp for $25.00 USD that was paid to US Customs for duty on this watch. This wasn't a surprise as I was aware that there probably was goping to be a duty charge and that FedExp would foot the bill and then invoice me. I just didn't know how much, which now I do :giggle:

That is good to know, especially since the Steinhart's are becoming much more popular.

At least you were prepared.