Sign in to follow this  
tofurky1975

IWC Portofino Guidance

tofurky1975

I have been reading reviews and flipping through all the TDs trying to find the "best" IWC Portofino. I have noticed that most of the ETA versions are the same pictures from TD to TD.

I know most TD do not hold a stock pile usaually source the watches, so my question is: Is there a known place for the "Holy Grail" of Portofinos that I have not found or are most of them from the same factory and I should just go with the TD that tickles my fancy?

Yes, I am as newb as they come but all the research is starting to make eyes bleed.

Thank you all for parting your wisdom on such a humble FNG

Eric

Doomsday

I'm wondering the same question!,

Hope someone can shed some light here.

JSJ

I'm kind of hooked on IWC but I don't have a Portofino. I have various pilots and a couple of Portuguese chronographs plus an FA Jones

I'm interested in what Portofinos you have been looking at. Can you post some links or pics please? Maybe we can bounce some ideas round.

Prancuzas

When it comes to Portofinos. Older versions of automatics (with stick markers) and chronographs are better than current. The problem is that these older versions could be harder to get.

As for newer versions - automatic is really good, but need redoing AR badly. As for chrono - it is a disappointing miss from the factories...

In my humble opinion this is one of the best reps of Portofino line (and I'm not only saying that because i own it, read more and You will have to agree):

IMG_20130508_111748_zps9fa416f9.jpg

IMG_1964_zps1f0e9782.jpg

mike70sk

i just been looking at them and then saw this post, i been debating over the new version and the old all stick, i have had gen watches with ar issues before, i prefer the new style overall, but is there a lot of banter somewhere saying the ar is really bad with the new ones ?

i have been debating over these two

http://www.p-cls.com/iwpt01003-portofino-automatic-ssle-black-asia-2892-p-11972.html

http://www.p-cls.com/iwpt00993-portofino-automatic-ssle-black-asia-2892-p-12365.html

Edited by mike70sk

dave0280

Prancuzas - what a mighty fine IWC and you have the blue faced beauty in your collection as well - 2 of the finest reps out of the box. Short of a JLC Master (which i can't find a good rep for love nor money) they are the best dress watches on the market.

tofurky1975

i just been looking at them and then saw this post, i been debating over the new version and the old all stick, i have had gen watches with ar issues before, i prefer the new style overall, but is there a lot of banter somewhere saying the ar is really bad with the new ones ?

i have been debating over these two

http://www.p-cls.com...92-p-11972.html

http://www.p-cls.com...92-p-12365.html

The second link you posted is the one that started this whole new obsession. I am waiting a response from Mary at WI, she gave me a lower quote but I want to be sure it meets my criteria.

tofurky1975

Pancruzas,

Where did you purchase that sexy horological piece? What is under the hood? (sorry, still learning the watch lingo)

Vbmrk

I went with the 3565 (newer version of 3563). Wore it for a few months then felt it was time to properly mod the watch to eliminate the issues of no AR and a crappy and loud movement. I've put up a few pics you can see here:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=47250&st=0

This is now a stunning portofino IMO. Either way though, I think you'll see that if you want a quality portofino you'll have to do a few mods. But if you like the watch it's well worth it.

mike70sk

I'm not a mod person, generally speaking so will the older version work best for me, no a/r issues ?

Prancuzas

Mine came from M2M sales, but I think good dealers will get it.

It has A2892 inside

Duzza

Has anyone seen the Miyotas Angus has listed today?

Prancuzas

Just checked them, ar looks better, don't like the datewheel font though.

Hope same factory is working on chrono version too ;)

mike70sk

I was just looking at the ones at puretime, they have a different movement, is it possible from a different factory or this is a different batch, and the ar might be ok ? the price is good too and only 9mm like the other ones.

zelhomer

Is there any information about a new better version?

Dr. Jimmy

Is there a known place for the "Holy Grail" of Portofinos that I have not found...

Yes there is, I bought mine there:

imag0028jb.jpg

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

tofurky1975

Is there a known place for the "Holy Grail" of Portofinos that I have not found...

Yes there is, I bought mine there:

imag0028jb.jpg

DR Jimmy,

Where is there? WI?

Dr. Jimmy

DR Jimmy,

Where is there? WI?

The IWC boutique in Las Vegas

bklynboy

Sort of a let down after Dr. J's gen but picked up the suggested older version in m2m across the street and popped it on a gen croc strap, the rep straps are all rubbish imo

Originally from PureTime

2014-03-12.jpg

Edited by bklynboy

Prancuzas

Nice pickup! How do You like it?

bklynboy

So far so good, don't expect to use it often, only wear a suit and tie twice a week or so anymore . . .

2014-03-13.jpg

Like today :)

Edited by bklynboy

tofurky1975

Bklynboy, that is a good looking watch.

wizzzard

Guys,

Do the figures on the date wheel seem too thin on this Portofino?

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Prancuzas

Is this one with Miyota?

Personally - I wouldnt bother on the thickness of the font as long it's a nice looking watch.

EDIT: just googled a bit - dont see much difference in thickness.

Edited by Prancuzas