Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

If you had to go back to ONE watch, what would it be?

greg_r

Most of us have several watches - many of us have 20 or more. It's nice to have some choice, but if you had a financial disaster and had to sell off your whole collection, which ONE watch would you keep to wear every day?

For me it's a tough choice - my favourite watch by far is my Rolex dialed 6154, but it's not really a watch I can wear every day as it really doesn't work with a suit. I have plenty of other watches I really like as well, but the one I seem to get away with no matter what the occasion is my Fiddy. It's smart enough to wear well with a suit, but not so dressy it looks out of place with jeans and a leather jacket. It might not be quite my favourite, but it's certainly in my top three, so it's the obvious choice.

fiddy_290110.jpg

How about you guys?

Baldrick

Fiddy's a nice choice, would agree with you on the Rollie, for me it would have to be an AP Roo on hornback strap or standar Royal Oak, suitable for every occasion, office, yachting, horses etc, black tie events, large enough to be noticed and prestigious enough to make a statement :Monkey:

455APROOSECS12E.jpg

APRoyalOak2.jpg

audemars_safari.jpg

AustinTech

I'd have to go with my PO just cause it is so versatile. Suit, jeans, wetsuit, spacesuit, gimp outfit, it all works.

Only downside is that it doesn't have chrono hands.

JoeyB

A coincidence, I was thinking about this just today. My choice would be a GMT for certain, but which one? I took my Rolex GMT IIc with me this trip. I really like it, but it has some drawbacks to my taste. I prefer the older, smaller case of the 16710, and the lugs holes, and I don't always see the green hand with my old eyes. I'd probably keep the project I will be finishing when I get back home. It will be a GMT II 16710 but with all the things from all the GMTs I like...depending on how it turns out!

greg_r

B: Yeah, I love the ROO particularly. I had one a year or so back - loved the look, but it never quite felt balanced on my wrist somehow, which is why I sold it. I need to try another one at some point, though.

lol@AT. PO + gimp outfit is a picture I'm trying not to think about....

wat44

PAM164 - my only eta mvmt

Member X

I have always loved Bell and Ross BR01s, but they just aren't suitable for every situation! They're a bit big and make a bit too much of a statement when you're trying to be a bit more discreet.

Equally I love my Breitling SuperOcean Heritages - in black they are a lot more versatile than the blue but, again, they're not suitable for every occasion.

I also love my Blue Cerachrome sub but it's too blingy for all occasions, and blue doesn't go with everything. My 1675 and Comex Sub from RA are also favourites but not something I feel you could wear everywhere.

So, remarkably, and somewhat unexpectedly, I think at this moment in time I would say that my new 2010 Rolex Explorer 1 would be my one and only watch! :D

(And I always hated Rollies before I got into reps... LoL :D)

20100807002a.jpg

It's just a great size, 39mm, so it's not too bit but not too small. It's discreet enough to not be noticed but blingy enough to look special. It's not too heavy and it's not too light. It looks casual on the weekend but formal in a suit.

I don't know how they did it but I think they have made one of the most versatile and classy watches going, without the 'cliché' of the Submariner that every man and his dog seems to have :rofl:

Demsey
jeans and a leather jacket

Now you're talkin' where I live son! I would just go with my legacy gen Rolex. Of course I'd never be able to change costume or get out of the Cobra. Just haunt the streets and byways of Daytona like Philip Nolan the rest of my days.

Meh, works for me.

6263II.jpg

If you are talking 'replica' exclusively, then my Josh Classic Swiss 16610 and then 'business as usual'. What would I do with the cash collective of my aging 14 piece TWB Rolex collection in a cash crunch? What any 'Merican would do with $9. Go to Mickey D's for a burger and then to the unemployment line for my handout.

Edited by Demsey

theflyingdutchman

Easy...

wrist2.jpg

HBBgoldbrushedbezel.jpg

new1.jpg

skintrade

So tough, I think the PAM 111 at the moment

KBH

This would be the hardest to give up, although I don't wear it all that often.

DSCN2642.jpg

16013-face.jpg

The SSD with gen insert and pearl would be the one that gets the most wear, by far.

prestigewatchco

Easy choice for me 2 tone DJ casual enough to be classy never seems to be out of place

sfa437

My UPO- just LOVE that watch.

greg_r

Love the classic 'Tona Dems. Beautiful watch and yes, works with anything.

Fascinating to see the range of watches chosen here, guys, and nice to see so many Rollies in favour (my day/date II would probably have been my second choice as it too seems to look right no matter what you wear). Keep 'em coming!

Member X

I think part of the reason that Rolex are seen as such a classic watch is because they just seem to get it exactly right (mostly ;) lol)

There are some exceptions, obviously lol, but the fact the designs are so timeless means that they will always look good no matter what fashion comes and goes.

For me, I still think the TTs look a bit cheap, but that's only because I associate them with nasty reps LoL :D

midasmook

I refuse to go back to one watch, I won't do it , I wont , I cant nooooooooooooooo.

greg_r

I'm not asking you to - just wondering what you would choose if you HAD to. ;)

Now calm down and have a cup of tea. You'll feel better :D

SubFrog

S E A D W E L L E R

midasmook

I've calmed down, had a cup of tea and a wee biscuit and thought it would probably be my Vaccum built 47mm Marina Militare on a Wotancraft strap.

8039th.jpg

JC7

Great thread.. 007.jpg

Black Sub.. can go with anything.

greg_r

lol - nice choice, Midas! :D

barkingtoad

Obvious choice for me

Only ever wanted a Submariner so it would have to be THIS..........

b73e2077.jpg

Once i got it mesh !!!

Baldrick

@GregR, with regard to the AP ROO!

but it never quite felt balanced on my wrist somehow,

Did you ever think about tightening the strap, or is it just that those girlie wrists of yours are more suited to a Gaytona :lol:

@Barkingtoad, good choice, now that's how a watch shold be designed, perfect symmetry, bezel indices correspond to dial markers, easily differentiated hands AND they put the date in the right place.

Logo at the top, balanced by date window at the bottom, shouldn't be at 3 B)

greg_r
@GregR, with regard to the AP ROO!
but it never quite felt balanced on my wrist somehow,

Did you ever think about tightening the strap, or is it just that those girlie wrists of yours are more suited to a Gaytona :lol:

Bugger off!

B)

Yes, I tightened the frickin' strap. It just felt rather top-heavy on the wrist - never really got comfortable with it. I've got plenty of bigger watches that are more comfortable to wear

I do have a theory, though, that it was a combination of the strap and that godawful AP deployant that caused the problem. Tempted to try a bracelet next time.

Baldrick

Sheez, I don't know with you, on the RG Daytona you're considering a strap, now on the ROO, you want a bracelet, is there no happy friggin' medium with you :lol: