Sign in to follow this  
Member X

Swiss ETA off ebay

Member X

I was looking at this seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/SWISS-MADE-TIME_ETA...634Q2ec0Q2em322

And in particular this 2836-2 movement:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETA-2836-2-AUTOMATIC-M...m-/130417983869

(Would it matter, getting the 2836-2 in place of a 2836?)

It seems pretty legit.

Would $111.50+£12 shipping be a reasonable price for one?

If my Explorer 1 movement is fubar then I might as well go swiss, as I seriously love the watch :)

trailboss99

Check OttoFrei for an idea of current pricing.

Col.

Member X

Cool, thanks Col :)

KBH

The price seems about right but the problem with buying these off the net is unless it's got a set of tall canon pin, hour and minute wheels, you may not be able to use it in a Rolex rep. They come in 4 different sizes and I believe you need either of the two tallest( H3 or H4 I think). I've made the mistake of buying a couple of Eta movements only to find they wouldn't work.

Here's what you might end up with:

DSCN2664.jpg

Also be aware that you will need a new set of hands.

prestigewatchco

You will be fine you can use your cannon from existing movement the hands you have will fit KBH is assuming it's Asian 21 j you have in that event you would need new hands but with a clone no such problems

Brightlight
The price seems about right but the problem with buying these off the net is unless it's got a set of tall canon pin, hour and minute wheels, you may not be able to use it in a Rolex rep. They come in 4 different sizes and I believe you need either of the two tallest( H3 or H4 I think). I've made the mistake of buying a couple of Eta movements only to find they wouldn't work.

Here's what you might end up with:

DSCN2664.jpg

Also be aware that you will need a new set of hands.

That happens more with the 2824-2 KBH. I tried to fit a 2824 in my franken dj but it required the H3 set. The 2836-2 slotted right in. The 2836-2 is a thicker movement than the 2824-2 because of the superstructure on the top and has higher canon etc to clear.

Parts are available to convert though, 4th wheel (seconds) canon pinion and hour wheel.

KBH

I know, I just had one changed. Unfortunately, to change the canon pinion requires almost complete dis-assembly. Not something the average hacker can do.

And yes, I was assuming you were going from A21j.

Also, the 2836 is just an older version of the 2836-2. But they were often not 28,800 bph.

Member X

Why is this never simple... lol

Eiderdaus

but where can you get clone etas and asian 21j ?

Brightlight
but where can you get clone etas and asian 21j ?

Asian 21J you can get from Cousins UK Eider, look up DG2813 or NN2813. Clone ETA only from dealers I guess

KBH
Also, the 2836 is just an older version of the 2836-2. But they were often not 28,800 bph.

Sorry again KBH but FAIL :) Take a look at this, a very useful reference by the way - http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi...wk&ETA_2836

I notice the 2836 was discontinued 31 years ago.

Perhaps the 2836 did not come in low beat although I'm not totally convinced quite yet. Apparently the 2824 started life as a 18,000 BPH, which is basically the same movement without the Day wheel.

http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2824/eta2824.html

QUOTE: "Looking through Heinz Hampel’s excellent book, ‘Automatic Wristwatches from Switzerland’, it appears to me as if the ETA 2824 is also an Eterna derived caliber. Although not identical, it definitely seems that the Eterna Caliber 1429/1439 U was used as the base design for the ETA. I’m no expert in movement design, or movement history, so perhaps one of our technically minded history buffs can make further enquiries in that regard. Like its Eterna cousin, the Caliber 1466U, it too started out at a leisurely 18,000 BPH. It does predate the latter by a couple of years though, being introduced in 1961 according to Hampel."

"Like all ETA products it too has undergone continuous refinements to bring us the work horse that we know today. If one were to check through old technical literature, one would see that this caliber has also had many reincarnations in slightly different guises and beats. All the way from 18,000 BPH, right up to the super-fast 36,000 BPH. Often times, many of the parts being completely interchangeable."

Member X

Sorry again KBH but FAIL :D Take a look at this, a very useful reference by the way - http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi...wk&ETA_2836

So there's no Swiss 2836 available now?

KBH

Sorry again KBH but FAIL :D Take a look at this, a very useful reference by the way - http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi...wk&ETA_2836

So there's no Swiss 2836 available now?

Newer model 2836-2 is the replacement.