Sign in to follow this  
Brightlight

Removing/replacing stems on watches with ETA movements

Brightlight

I have always in the past removed the stem on any swiss ETA based watch with the crown in the innermost winding position. I've never had any problem replacing the stem. However I have just been fitting a serviced ETA Clone into a watch, the keyless was assembled correctly with the stem in position, the stem then removed, dial and hands fitted and movement mounted in the case, then the stem put back. Oops, keyless thrown out. So I removed and repeated thinking I had done something wrong. Same result. Again out came the movement, but this time after reassembling the keyless I removed and reinserted the stem. It proved impossible to do this in the winding position, the clutch pinion was displaced every time. I would guess this is a matter of poor tolerances. In despair I tried the same thing with the stem in the time setting position and lo and behold, success every time. The watch is now successfully re-assembled.

So my rule from now on is 'on ETA based watches, always remove and replace the stem from the time setting position'

KBH

Agreed! And don't be afraid to push the release button in a little you you are having trouble.