Sign in to follow this  
AustinTech

Tag Heuer gets OWNED by WIS

AustinTech

From Luxist

"This was certainly a sticky situation for Tag Heuer, the details are a bit murky, but the situation is clear. Tag Heuer recently announced their "new, in-house made and designed" Caliber 1887 automatic chronograph movement. All seems well with the movement itself, but the problem is that Tag Heuer didn't design it. Nope, they sort of cosmetically altered an over 10 year old Japanese Seiko movement design (Seiko 6S37). So after 150 years, Tag Heuer's anniversary surprise was on loan from Japan. I do understand that this was arranged with Seiko, and that Tag Heuer will actually be building the movements in limited quantities themselves. At least Seiko isn't doing everything.

Tag Heuer got caught red handed by the watch lover community who noticed the similarities between the two movements. This qualifies us as true nerds, seeing details such as this. Tag Heuer would have gotten away with it to, if it wasn't for us meddling bloggers! That's right, thank the internet watch lover community, who is responsible for this situation being discovered. A powerful indication to the watch industry of what the internet can do for them, or against them. In good taste, as a response to the situation, Tag Heuer CEO Jean-Christophe Babin himself went online to respond to the "accusations." He honorably admitted a "mistake" by Tag Heuer and that the movement was in fact "adopted" from Seiko."

I was seriously considering getting this gen (1887) - not now. I think Tag has handled the situation well, but their first move was to lie to their customers. Not good.

Article - http://www.luxist.com/tag/movement/

pollux1

Owned!!!!!

TAGster

Owned hard!!

I was a TAG Heuer fan, but not anymore. Since I´ve been reading more and more and educate myself about horology and watches, I can see TAG is just a good marketing company which leverages very well the Heuer name.

This note will be very useful for me, since I need to shut some smart asses that claims TAG Heuer is the best watchmaker in the world, ha ha ha.

AustinTech

Almost all brands are just part of a huge conglomerate. IWC, Bregeut, Omega, etc - all just part of a corporate machine. Some just buy the brand name from an old company and make "new" designs. So silly.

Rolex is a good exception to the rule. Patek obviously. A few others.

TAGster

Yes mate, I totally agreed.

But the difference with TAG, I think, is the fact the try to position themselves as "innovators", and in fact they have very interesting concept watches like the Monaco V4, but IMO they like to make more show than what really is. I know TAG is a division of LVMH, so yes, they should act as part of the corporate machine.

That is why now I am not longer a TAG "fanboy", because now I know what a good horoly piece means.

Anyway, I am thinking of getting a nice Grand Carrera rep as a birthay present, he he :lol: but in other days, I would go for a gen one, now not anymore.

Member X

So you're changing your name...? :lol:

TAGster
So you're changing your name...? :Whistle:

That could be very possible ;)

he he he.

speedzmaster

I don't care. I like the Heuer Carrera Chronograph Date.

dingle

damn internet nerds :)