Sign in to follow this  
Kleen™

Watchmaker's loupe - seeking advice...

Kleen™

Yentlemen,

Any recommendations on a (not to expensive) loupe. I currently only have the plastic one that came with the RWG toolkit, but I am thinking possibly need one with sligtly better optics.

As this is the only one I've used I don't have any preference for 10x, 20x etc, so any advice/recommendations will be much appreciated...:-)

Cheers,

'imself...

Dr Yan

I use one of the headband visor type ones and find it great. The one I have is selectable 5x, 10x & 20x I think.

Kleen™

Thanks, Doc - which magnification do you find yourself using most often...?

SSTEEL

I too have recently ordered an Optivisor as I want to be able to use both hands when I work, so will leave some feedback on it when it arrives, and put to use.

Its a PITA having to use a handheld loupe to be honest, and if you are a spectacle wearer, the range is quite limited, as most clip on types I have purchased are designed to fit older type frames, not modern rimless like mine.

If you don't wear glasses then a similar type than that from the RWG is fine, but go for a x10, which gives you a better working distance.

Dr Yan

5x would be the most often used while actually working on movements. 10x and 20 x I use just for looking. At that magnification I find it hard to work on things, might just be me though. Multiply my shakes by 20 times and it's a feckin earthquake :rofl:

onionbag

Some Paddy'll fix ye right up 'D'.............

:lol:

JohnPilot

I use one of the headband visor type ones and find it great. The one I have is selectable 5x, 10x & 20x I think.

Same do I, very useful and you have your hands free.

Dr Yan

Edited by Dr Yan

Dr Yan
Some Paddy'll fix ye right up 'D'.............

:lol:

Howld yer wisht............that'll be Bushmills, me auld segosha :)

myaz

I find this type to be helpful.

images_zps9ac94605.jpg

Advantages are that they stay up there without effort, can be raised out of the way, are very lightweight (the weight doesn't put extra pressure on the bridge of your nose as in the clip-on models) and can be had on the internet for cheap.

You need to know that some can come with a battery operated light source, an extra expense not worth it to me. The higher the power, the shorter the working distance, the narrower the field of view (not really a factor when working on small objects) and the shallower the depth of focus: The whole field of view might not be in focus under high magnification. Determine whether the working distance is comfortable for you before buying. 3-4X is fine for me for most situations but it's handy to have a higher magnification now and then.

jerkstore

+1 on the visor. Working with two hands is somehow easier.

And Myaz forgot probably the most important feature of the headgear...

images_zps9ac94605.jpg

The ladies find them irresistible.

myaz
:D true dat, when one belongs to this hobby, one must take advantage of every enhancement available with the ladies.........they do likewise, do they not?

Aren

:D true dat, when one belongs to this hobby, one must take advantage of every enhancement available with the ladies.........they do likewise, do they not?

:lmao2: If anyone wants to enhance a lady, let me know...

I am aiming at this, but need to stop buying watches and straps in order to purchase it...

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

:)

Kcore

A bought both a visor and desk lamp magnifier. Being an eyeglass wearer, I too found using a loupe near impossible and that loupe holder thingy that came in the RWG toolkit is like an intsrument of torture (sorry Col).

I did some web searching and found both products on Amazon at good prices. Again, the OptiVisor that Mickey bought is top of the line. I'm not at that level so I was looking for something less expensive but still was quality. The one I bought had good reviews and it has a built in LCD light as an added benefit.

here are the URLs to the products:

Desk lamp/ 5X magnifier ( $55 USD)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012XG6TS/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Magnifier visor. It has 3 different magnification plus and adjustable LED light ($8.50 - no typo, it's that inexpensive!)

(now no laughing whne you see the price - I use it all the time and it's great. I can wear my eyeglasses under it without a problem).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UCODIA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

twofake

Try dental loupes with a built in rechargeable headlight .

eBay has them for around AU$76 for 3.5x mag with 420 mm working distance. Nice and bright and light lasts maybe around 8 hrs per charge and you can vary the brightness as well as see in 3 dimensions .

Search

Dental loupes and light

myaz

Magnifier visor. It has 3 different magnification plus and adjustable LED light ($8.50 - no typo, it's that inexpensive!)

(now no laughing whne you see the price - I use it all the time and it's great. I can wear my eyeglasses under it without a problem).

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What a find! professional dental loupes with LEDs will run over $1,000.

Kleen™

Sweeb Jeeebussss - tons of good advice and links to go through.

Thanks, guys..:-D

(... is this the time for me to come clean and say I was jus' looking for a tool to locate my penis...)

Kcore

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What a find! professional dental loupes with LEDs will run over $1,000.

You see for me, I'm just tasting the waters of watch repair so i'm always on the look out for good but not expensive tools since I don't know if I'll be any good at it. I guess I'm alright at adjusting bracelets, changing bands and batteries, polishing. but i'm still very green with disasssembling a watch and putting it back together so I don't want to spend a small fortune on speciality tools to have them collect dust or sell for pennies on the dollar.

don't get me wrong, I'm pretty all around handy, as I do electric, plumbing, masonry, sheetrock and such and I know the importance of good tools. I have an extensive tool chest and a lot of specialty tools too, but with watch repair, i'm not sure. Everything I work on is a lot larger in size, actually way larger than wrist watches.

twofake

You need to compar how much you spend on reps and how much the tools are. At under $100 the magnifiers will be similar to a cheapie rep.

Kcore

You need to compar how much you spend on reps and how much the tools are. At under $100 the magnifiers will be similar to a cheapie rep.

Not true at all - My cheapie visor/magnifier is really cheap in cost only but it's a quality product. While the lenses aren't made from optical glass, they work really well without any distortion. It has 2 flip down & lock in place magnification lenses plus an outside loupe that also swings in & out of place. The headstrap adjustment works well, and it has an adjustable LCD lamp to boot.

myaz

I gotta agree with Kcore.

I have seen the print and heard the talk about distortion and eye strain that can be avoided by using expensive optical ground glass scopes.

I'd have to consider one of these if I was a highly paid microvascular surgeon or face the collective smirks of my brethren.

Cheapies work fine.To wit,

1) great pics can be taken using multiple Carl Zeiss optical lens elements, but a single cell phone fingernail size lens does OK for so many pics taken here.

and 2) Sometimes, I'll reach for my plastic $3.99 Walmart magnifying glass with the 10X inset at the bottom for that little extra boost and it gets the job done.

Daywatch

51R4ZKZEnaL._SL1500_.jpg

For looking at 10x from Amazon or dinodirect some 5 to 10 usd; 5x lupe otherwise

Boycie

I picked up a nice selection from good old Banggood.com and they arrived swiftly and well packaged.

Also picked up a few awesome torches from these guys too.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/loupe.html