Sign in to follow this  
Kleen™

Watchmaker's loupe - seeking advice...

J!m

I use a visor mainly (best birth control known by the way- women WILL run away from you wearing it) but a loupe is also an essential piece of kit. Even wih a visor on, the loupe can be held close to the work and give greater magnification. Plus I will sometimes use the loupe to get very close to my work (setting a seconds hand for example) when it is needed.

Short answer: you need both.

My visor is 3X with a (useless) flip down internal adder and an external swing down loupe I sometimes use. I also use a B&L 4X / 7X loupe- a second lens screws on to make it 7X but I never use that. So, I guess it's a 4X, 2-1/2" focal distance. Places like MSC industrial supply in the US is a good place to get a nice B&L loupe for short money.

Kleen™

What a noob I am - slowly realizing this as I'm reading all the splendid advice from the horologically more advanced members of the forum. Thanks guys...:-)

SSTEEL

My Optivisor has landed with a 2.5% Loupe attachment.

12901198775_7600b90ab6_b.jpg

12901200555_330e860526_b.jpg

Initial findings having tried it out, (currently has a No' 4 Lense fitted), the working distance is not as long as I would like so ordered two additional lenses, No' 2, and No' 3, which give focal lengths of, 20" and 14". The No' 4 Lense is 2 x Mag, with focal length of just 10 inches.

Aren

I can't use a loupe and need to wear glasses. I ordered the OptiVisor SSteel recommended (Da-4 2x mag @ 10")

I also ordered the visor recommended by Kcore to try it out.

While I was looking at some watch tools, I ordered some oilers. I think I may have made a mistake with the oil.

I used Hoppes oil and I don't know if that will create a problem.

It is a precision fine machine oil and I thought it would be ok. Was this a mistake? It doesn't harden.

I ordered some Moebius oil now, but don't know if I have created a potential problem for the future with the Hoppes oil.

Suggestions anyone?

TIA

George.

51R4ZKZEnaL._SL1500_.jpg

For looking at 10x from Amazon or dinodirect some 5 to 10 usd; 5x lupe otherwise

Definitely need these...

After using my loupe for more than 5 minutes, my eyes feel like they are going to start bleeding so i'm excited to see what these bad boys do

BigBuys

I find this type to be helpful.

images_zps9ac94605.jpg

Ditto that plus I bought two loupes on eBay for $5.78 that have an LED that pivots for aiming. Two loupes because they come mounted on a wire glasses frame and I threw the frame away so now I always have a lighted loupe closeby.

51R4ZKZEnaL._SL1500_.jpg

For looking at 10x from Amazon or dinodirect some 5 to 10 usd; 5x lupe otherwise

THAT'S IT!!!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THESE ON THE FRAME. You will go crazy They never align on the same spot. Think about it. That is why I now have two lighted loupes.

PhillyRock

I searched the BAY for "jewelers glasses" and found a pair for under 10 bucks.

With all honesty, these Chinese cheap specs are pretty damned good.

Light on the side of each lens and 20X magnification.

I'm bad at selfies and I know I need a shave but here are the ones I own, (see photo's below)

P.S. pay no attention to the person wearing them. It's been a long day and I have a date with a razor later on tonight =)

20140403_190833_zps99d57631.jpg

20140403_191322_zps4a316ed8.jpg