Sign in to follow this  
MHardiman

2 AP Divers Inbound [UPDATE: Watches Received]

MHardiman

So last week I picked up not one but two AP Divers from some members on these watch forums. Both watches should arrive here in Chicago by mid week so this is kind of premature but wanted to start this topic to get things started.

I mainly wanted to start this topic early to talk about the sellers.

The first watch I purchased is an AP Diver 4.1 and was from "peterpl" over at RWI. He's located in Australia and let it go for $300 USD shipped including paypal fees. As of right now the package is in customs. Peter has been a pleasure to deal with so far. He sent me QC pics of the watch being packaged showing me that all the paperwork was filled out and included a description on the shipping label, "Watch for repair." Also included was a QC video showing me the watch performed as it should and that the date turned over as it should when hitting midnight. I paid him around 11am Chicago time and he had it shipped by 7pm Chicago time the same day. Peter has been more than kind with his QC and PM's to see how tracking is going.

The second watch I purchased is a White faced 21J AP Diver from P4GTR or may be better known for his Migliore straps. Dan originally purchased the watch from Reg and used it only for test fitting the AP straps he makes for his clients. So essentially the watch is brand knew with a very minuscule mark on the bezel that can be buffed out. Dan was extremely friendly and let the watch go to me for $150 shipped and fees included. He even took my joke of including one of his straps in for an extra $50 well hahaha. As of right now the watch is still in Florida but should be here in Chicago by mid week.

Both of these seller are extremely friendly and more than happy to answer any questions I had about the pieces. If anybody ever has the privilege to deal with these kind men, be assured, they are honest and buy with confidence.

I will post pictures as they arrive and do a mini review of each in this thread.

Stay tuned and no "this topic is worthless without pics," emoticons just yet!

Thanks,

Matt

[uPDATED]

Received the watches and extra wrist candy today. Quality on all of these are amazing. The watches have been talked about but anyone interested in the bracelets, they were purchased from MadeByBerg.

be186297-e9f0-4736-a67e-0cb2add5721a_zps6fe73f21.jpg

IMG_20140306_133623_zps569bfc32.jpg

IMG_20140306_133633_zps5a179f92.jpg

IMG_20140306_133642_zps27697f63.jpg

IMG_20140306_133649_zpsf6700730.jpg

IMG_20140306_133655_zpsa865a07b.jpg

IMG_20140306_133705_zps5ccd7ed2.jpg

IMG_20140306_133724_zpsdf548b37.jpg

Edited by MHardiman90

MHardiman

So I just checked USPS the V4.1 passed through Los Angeles customs yesterday and left LAX this morning. My 21J White model just left Tampa.

I have a question I'd like to be answered before I receive them both. I've read on numerous threads that it's good to hand wind watches to keep tension in the main spring. I've also read some watches have a "clutch" to keep from winding to much and causing damage to the main spring. My question is what's the proper way to wind the 2824 Divers and the 21J Divers. The guy I purchased the 4.1 from suggested that I never hand wind my watches and to just give them a good shake before putting it on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I've read on numerous threads two different thoughts on this and would just like a concrete one to follow.

-Matt

avc0002

nice choice on the divers but war eagle!

MHardiman

nice choice on the divers but war eagle!

Hahaha, how do you lose to a team that played Duke in their conference championship?

Thanks by the way!

Edited by MHardiman90

avc0002

How do you lose to a team that loses to a team that played duke in their conference championship?? Ha

avc0002

ypumy9y6.jpg

I was there too btw. Had a blast.

MHardiman

That Barner luck kicked in!!! Do you know that answer to my question?!?!

MHardiman

Screenshot2014-03-06at121419AM_zpsda661f63.png

Both watches arrived in my state within 2 minutes of each other. Hopefully they'll get processed in time to make it out for tomorrows delivery. I doubt it but definitely Friday.

nunu78

Hi, im in Chicago as well :)

MHardiman

Updated first post to reflect!

Edited by MHardiman90

MHardiman

I'm stunned by the quality of these

Daywatch

Hi and congrats, waiting for some new pics to post here:). As for winding, I do wind my 21j slowly about 20 turns, the 2824 I don´t wind them I turn them slowly like a whisky glass or a small driving wheel to start up and they run reliably and fine.

MHardiman

Hi and congrats, waiting for some new pics to post here:). As for winding, I do wind my 21j slowly about 20 turns, the 2824 I don´t wind them I turn them slowly like a whisky glass or a small driving wheel to start up and they run reliably and fine.

Good to know. So only 20 turns for the 21Js huh? I just did 40 (small twists) and it didn't seem to get tight. I'll start doing 20 full turns.

MHardiman

Does anybody have a safari rep band they want to get rid of? I want a brown hornback for the white diver as it'll be my beater but don't want anything expensive or custom made.