Sign in to follow this  
DejaWho

Need your advice. JLC, broken rotor removed and it's still loud...

DejaWho

I love my JLC "Mastbr" geographic... but I never wear it because it makes a rattling noise that very loud and cheap sounding (yes, it was a cheap watch but i'd like to eliminate some of the noise).

I opened the back with the intent of greasing the rotor or removing it completely. I was actually happy to see it was broken in 2 pieces because it seemed like an easy solution.

Even after I took out the broken half, it still rattles... and if I hold my finger over what's left of the rotor (so it's not moving) and shake the watch still makes that same noise.

Any idea what else I can do?

I can remove what's left of the rotor but the noise will still be there..

jlc.jpg

P4GTR

you'lll need the counterweight put back on for it to wind properly.

If you remove the screw and the rest of the rotor, is the rattle eliminated? Is it a rattle, or is it a scraping from the rotor being bend and rubbing along the movement as it spins?

DejaWho

Thanks for the help.

Rotor is completely off right now, but it still rattles when I shake the watch... hmm... any other suggestions? Maybe it's a common fix and i'm not searching for the right thing?

P4GTR

if you put pressure on the watch movement to secure it to the case firmly and shake, does it stop the rattle? Perhaps you need to check the movement holder screws?

Frankt8242

Something is loose ...And it apparently ain't the rotor..!!!...How tightly is the movement secured to the case...???

DejaWho

Holding the movement to the case and shaking is exactly what I just tried... it still makes the noise.

P4GTR

Probably a loose screw floating around in the movement, perfectly normal.

SSTEEL

Sounds like it could be a loose dial spacer to me. The cause, a loose dial. Can you see any movement of the dial when you pull out the crown to adjust the time?

Or as P4 quite rightly proposed, a loose movement, or movement holder/screws/tabs.

DejaWho

I think I just found the culprit... I believe it's a lose wheel (the one that shows the location/timezone at the bottom)...

Ok.. it totally is... If I keep turning it, it gets to a point where it sort of jams (which is ok with me because when it gets stuck it doesn't rattle). but as soon as it breaks loose it rattles. Anything I can do?

I do like that I'm learning from this. my first time opening a case, I took out the rotor, fixed it and put it back on. Small steps but a good baby step.

DejaWho

when it gets stuck it's almost like grinding black pepper.. does that mean it's a screw in there? Should I attempt taking the whole thing apart?

twofake
when it gets stuck it's almost like grinding black pepper.. does that mean it's a screw in there? Should I attempt taking the whole thing apart?

Yes, got peace of mind, have a go but take raps if photos in case it falls apart a lot and you forget how to reassemble it.

Best of luck.

Aren

Are you referring to the Balance "wheel"?

Maybe take some large photographs and post them here.

:)

DejaWho

Here's the same photo zoomed in. I've since fixed the rotor and reattached it.

I'm now trying to take the stem out so I can remove the movement... watched a few videos but can't figure out which screw/button I need to work with to remove the stem.

jlc.jpg

Thanks Aren, it's not the balance wheel... it's the wheel at the bottom with the names of the cities that I find rattling and grinding. (photo from PC's website)

Nl4U1.jpg

DejaWho

ok i got the stem out.. yikes!

Aren

I suggest taking it apart in a box lined with white paper towels so no parts go missing.

Good luck...be brave...

Carry on!

:)

fatarms

Have you taken the movement clamps out yet? They aren't in the pictures you posted, that's why I ask.

DejaWho

Have you taken the movement clamps out yet? They aren't in the pictures you posted, that's why I ask.

I did not... The photo I posted was after I just removed the back and the rotor half fell out on its own. I didn't remove anything else...

DejaWho

trying to figure out how to remove the movement from the case. this might prove to be a $200 lesson.

I can't seem to figure out what's holding it all together. when the movement spins the face of the watch does as well, so I guess I need to take out another screw somewhere?

Edited by DejaWho

JSJ

Mmm I don't know this particular watch but it looks like there are two holes where the movement retention screws and brackets should be. On most watches the movement drops out at this stage but on the IWC Portuguese for example, the bezel has to come off the front and the movement comes out that way. Somebody who knows this watch should advise.

Also, as said above, if you didn't take out the movement retention screws, they are likely to be inside the watch. Nothing particularly rare about that but you need to find them.

DejaWho

Mmm I don't know this particular watch but it looks like there are two holes where the movement retention screws and brackets should be. On most watches the movement drops out at this stage but on the IWC Portuguese for example, the bezel has to come off the front and the movement comes out that way. Somebody who knows this watch should advise.

Also, as said above, if you didn't take out the movement retention screws, they are likely to be inside the watch. Nothing particularly rare about that but you need to find them.

Thanks JSJ. I'll wait to see if anyone knows. At some point I gave up and just wanted to put the thing back together, but the stem would never secure.. it comes right back out...

Pihlippe

I have the same watch with the same problems.

First thing I did was unscrew the rotor.

Used a little bit super glue and pressed rotor parts together.

Used very little silicone grease in the bearing of the rotor to remove noise.

The movement clamps were loose and had to tighten these to remove the rattle. Looks however that these is missing in yours.

JSJ

Thanks JSJ. I'll wait to see if anyone knows. At some point I gave up and just wanted to put the thing back together, but the stem would never secure.. it comes right back out...

The stem will go back. They always do. Just gently push it in and gently rotate it back and forth at the same time. You probably got the key word there - gently. It will just slip in.

My concern with putting the stem back is that you probably have up to four loose parts inside the watch. There really is no good long term outcome for that.

DejaWho

My concern with putting the stem back is that you probably have up to four loose parts inside the watch. There really is no good long term outcome for that.

Ok, i'll keep trying to take the movement out so I can look for those clamps... still not sure how to get the movement out though.

Also, Thanks for the feedback Pihlippe, very helpful.

JSJ

Ok, i'll keep trying to take the movement out so I can look for those clamps... still not sure how to get the movement out though.

Have you tried tapping the back of the watch onto your open palm? The fact that it's rotating shows it's loose.

DejaWho

It's definitely loose, it's rotating free but won't come out of the case. :-/