Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

what shall I buy ?

SteveA

Got about $850 to spend do I go new lower end gen,mid range used gen or high end rep?I like bigger watches ,don't like Pam's,sinn,chopard.I do like Rolex,Tudor,AP,Bristling,Tag

conx

But Markrfc's Tudor in M2M !

nev848

I would spend no more than $350 on a rep to be honest. It depends what you are looking for. If it is a future proof watch then go second hand Gen.

Bang for buck Hamilton do some beautiful watches with Swiss ETA movements.

Good luck.

nev848
But Markrfc's Tudor in M2M !

Pounds to Dollars makes it nearly $1600 twice his budget unfortunately.

R1evans

Steve,I had the same dilemma 2 weeks ago,I had a little bit more $1000,which is a bit of a no mans land,too much for a rep,but just not enough for a good used gen.

I ended up with a brand new Longines hydroconquest,Swiss movement and 2 year warranty.

Good luck with your quest.

Barth

I second R1evans, Longines are fantastic value. A real luxury, yet affordable watch brand.

James.

You can scour a conquest on WR for >$900 most days of the week.

You're in a weird position, I personally would continue to save up and get something more expensive depending upon your personal preference, you don't need much more to get to a level you can acquire a Seiko MM300, B&R, Longines legend diver etc etc etc There's even a reduced speedy on WUS for like $1200 right now. There's heaps of really, really great low level gens in and around the $1200-1600 range, as much as I think reps are great there are levels of price where I personally believe you're much better off buying a gen that'll hold value much better and it's something you can't get repped/repped well.

That's what I personally would do, especially if it'll only take you a few weeks, or a month or so to save up the extra scratch.

baxter

You can scour a conquest on WR for >$900 most days of the week.

You're in a weird position, I personally would continue to save up and get something more expensive depending upon your personal preference, you don't need much more to get to a level you can acquire a Seiko MM300, B&R, Longines legend diver etc etc etc There's even a reduced speedy on WUS for like $1200 right now. There's heaps of really, really great low level gens in and around the $1200-1600 range, as much as I think reps are great there are levels of price where I personally believe you're much better off buying a gen that'll hold value much better and it's something you can't get repped/repped well.

That's what I personally would do, especially if it'll only take you a few weeks, or a month or so to save up the extra scratch.

good advice i think

Dr. Jimmy

If you're in the states check out ashford.com, they have some great deals on gens.

StormyNight

Buy a "bombproof" rep for now that you can sell on M2M and recoup your money on whilst saving more for a decent gen.

greg_r

With that sort of dough I'd definitely buy gen. Longines, Glycine, upmarket Seiko...

NFleischer

Longines are great watches. Low end of about $1000, unless you take the quartz version for $200 less. Also Hammy, Tissot, Steinhart,

have brand new waches from $400 up- with gen Swiss mov'ts!

fetasigma

might be able to find a speedmaster reduced for that

SteveA

Thanks I think gen is the way to go.I actually have a gen longines hydro conquest auto which is a cracker