Sign in to follow this  
mistabonze

Installing a new movement

mistabonze

I have a older Fossil watch that I really like although havent worn for about a year or so due to what I thout was a bad battery. I finally brought it to get a new battery and it still didnt work. We tried another battery and the same thing. Tested the batteries and both were good. SO.....is it possible to replace this movement with a asian 21J automatic. I read you can pick these up for as cheap as 7 dollars so thought this may be the cheapest way to fix. Im sure the watch was only $50-60 brand new but if I can fix it for cheap Id like to. Since its a battery (quartz....right) does it need to remain a quartz. Whatever it needs where can I find it and how difficult is it to replace. Im pretty handy with things like this but have never attempted fixing a watch movement. Thanks.

AllergyDoc

I'm no expert at that but, I think you're out of luck.

trailboss99

Yeah, the hands won't fit for starters and finding a MVT ring would be impossible.

While it is possible it would not be practical.

But! All is not lost my son. First up you need to find a proper watchmaker and ask if they have a quartz driver.

If they do ask them to give it a spin, chances are it will come to life. Did they check for a pulse when they changed the battery?

If there is no pulse a driver won't fix it on it's own, there is a bigger problem. It may well be the hacking switch in the quartz version of the keyless works that is the problem. If the stem is removed and a good blast of air is blown down the crown tube this may well get the switch working again. If not the MVT can be pulled and cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner or just rinsed in "one dip" or even white spirit.

At any rate, the whole MVT is worth about 20 bucks at the most so just replacing it would be the easiest way to solve the issue. It will be either an ETA, Seiko Epson, or Miyota quartz, the model number is on the MVT.

Col.

mistabonze

So should I pull the movement out to look for the model #. Where would I buy a new one. I dont think it would be worth getting it fixed unles I could replace it with a cheap $20 movement myself. If I had to spend more than that Id rather put the monet into purchasing a new REP ( I do want a seamaster)

Yeah, the hands won't fit for starters and finding a MVT ring would be impossible.

While it is possible it would not be practical.

But! All is not lost my son. First up you need to find a proper watchmaker and ask if they have a quartz driver.

If they do ask them to give it a spin, chances are it will come to life. Did they for a pulse when they changed the battery?

If there is no pule a driver won't fix it on it's own, there is a bigger problem. It may well be the hacking switch in the quartz version of the keyless works that is the problem. If the stem is removed and a good blast of air is blown down the crown tube this may well get the switch working again. If not the MVT can be pulled and cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner or just rinsed in "one dip" or even white spirit.

At any rate, the whole MVT is worth about 20 bucks at the most so just replacing it would be the easiest way to solve the issue. It will be either an ETA, Seiko Epson, or Miyota quartz, the model number is on the MVT.

Col.

trailboss99

The brand and number are stamped on the MVT back. They will be visible with the case back off.

Col.