Sign in to follow this  
Del

Automatic watches - keep them running or not?

Del

I was wondering what you guys thought about keeping automatic watches running all the time or not. Do you think it makes a difference to their reliability on a long-term basis if they are always kept wound or do you think it is better to let them stop regularly before winding again?

Particularly the Asian 21j movement - being so cheap, will it last longer if it is always kept moving or is the opposite more likely?

Cheers,

Del

Brightlight
I was wondering what you guys thought about keeping automatic watches running all the time or not. Do you think it makes a difference to their reliability on a long-term basis if they are always kept wound or do you think it is better to let them stop regularly before winding again?

Particularly the Asian 21j movement - being so cheap, will it last longer if it is always kept moving or is the opposite more likely?

Cheers,

Del

How long is a piece of string? Who has the best Sub? You'll find this question fits in with these, everyone has a different opinion. To me, having a watch running permanently simply wears it out faster, but on the other hand if you wear one watch all the time, it's the same thing, and they last for many years. I'm happy just to let mine run down and wind them up when I wear them again, spending good money on a watch winder doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But that is just my personal opinion.

GC

from a purely technical stand point... a movt only requires a monthly wind when not in use to keep the lubricants evenly distributed on the moving parts.

but like BL said... neither here nor there

Del

Thanks guys - interesting and helpful :rofl:.

Ska

+1 Curcio and BL agree with both of you my only addition to that advice would be it saves on hassle to have a winder if you've got a small number of "favourites" that you wear regularly and don't want to go through the hassle of winding/adjusting the time on every other day!

I have a watch box which stores 12 watches but only winds 4 of them with the other 8 lined up below. This allows me to rotate my 4 favourite automatics without having to keep unscrewing the crowns and winding them constantly.

Its worth noting that you'll have to change the date on any watches (with that function) you're wearing regularly for every month with 30 days or less anyway.

sconehead

I agree with BL. I keep my watches in the watchbox 'till I need to wear then, no winders for me and no problems with them either...:rofl:

vonGluberschmidt

I'm torn....

heading overseas for a contract and can only take (....well, should only take) one watch.

I've picked which one is coming, but leaving 4 auto's at home that won't be worn for a year.

I hope they fair out ok...

KBH

I keep my 4 current favorites in a winder, but only because I'm lazy and setting the date, time and winding every time I change one is too much effort.

Member X

I'm sure they'll be fine - there must be plenty of automatic gens that sit in a shop storeroom for a year before being sold!

KBH
I'm sure they'll be fine - there must be plenty of automatic gens that sit in a shop storeroom for a year before being sold!

My grandfather's Waltham railroad watch hasn't been serviced for at least 75 years and it still fires right up and keeps COSC time.

Del

Thanks everyone :D. General consensus appears to be let them stop and they'll be fine (unless you can't be arsed setting the time and date every time you take one out the box to wear :rofl:).

AllergyDoc

Watch oils, if there are any in your movement, have a finite life regardless of whether you keep the movement running or not.

KBH
Watch oils, if there are any in your movement, have a finite life regardless of whether you keep the movement running or not.

How come you can go 20 years and 250,000 miles without changing the oil in a cars differential with no damage while the watch smiths try to tell you you need service a watch between one year and 5 years. And now they are using synthetic oils which should last much longer. There's no combustion to foul the oil. It's in a closed almost airtight container which makes it next to impossible to get contaminants. Why shouldn't it last almost forever.

Can you imagine some of the more fanatical collectors here would be paying thousands of dollars a year just in maintenance.

And gen collectors paying $500 or more for a service on each watch?

AllergyDoc

Watch oils and car oils are different, haven't you heard? :D A little thinner, I believe.