Sign in to follow this  
el34han

DSSD comparison ???

el34han

I am looking to buy a DSSD but am a little confused. I am not looking to pay extra just for an ETA movement. A reliable Asian 21J is just fine. As long as the movement is reliable. Appearance, however, is very important for me. Not necessary looking for "perfect" rep, but has to have build quality.

I have seen quite a few comparison among different versions(V3, V4, V5) of DSSD.

But haven't seen comparison between cases and bracelets between DSSD with different movement. For DSSD's been sold in the same period of time with different price tag, other than the movement is different, do they have the exact case and bracelet? For example the following two DSSD

$335 http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6490

$150 http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=2390

Is the extra money only for an ETA movement or the finishing quality of the case and bracelet too?

Thank you so much for helping.

Ska

The "Ultimate" DSSD (V5) which refers to the latest case shape, bracelet and corrected "10" ceramic bezel is the model you're after.

The only things which may be different cosmetically with the 21J movement are the hands and possibly the dial because the canon pin on the movement is different to an ETA. The case and bracelet should be the same and you should even get a sapphire crystal.

As a newbie I'd recommend going with Mary (Watchinternational) If you send her an e-mail to [email protected] explaining clearly what you are looking for then she would IMO be the most likely to get you exactly what you want. This is especially important with the 21j as her Quality Control is second to none and she will make sure the movement is sound.

I've bought every one of my watches from Mary and they've all been incredible. (and I'm a picky guy!) My most recent purchase was actually a DSSD albeit with an ETA movement. Her customer service is also excellent if you're new to the hobby.

I'd also recommend sending her some photos of the watch you're after.

Once she's found you a suitable watch she'll send you photos of it (the ACTUAL one you'll be receiving) so you can check you're happy before sending her payment

Hope this helps. and best of luck!

Ska :D

Oh and I'll post a link once the review of my DSSD is done.

MikeMcNair

having owned 21j movements in the past, i will NEVER buy another watch with one. they are junk. i just sent out a watch today to get fixed, and sure enough it is a 21j. i am fixing it only because i don have the money to buy a whole new watch. so i am simply repairing it to hold me over for a few weeks.

pollux1

Probably best to go with an Asian ETA clone, same sweep as gen and highly likely it'll be a brand new movement as a lot of gen Swiss ETA are old stock/second user mvts.

Wiz

What we call 21j are actually Miyota clones. These are decent movements if properly assembled, but most of the time that's not the case when they come in reps.

The solution is to get it serviced or to swap it with a properly assembled one.

Brightlight

The biggest problem with the 21J, it is not a bad movement by the way, is you can't get parts for them therefore you cannot service them or repair them. The other problem is they are not all the same and don't have interchangeability of parts, even if the movements themselves are interchangeable. And they suffer from the usual Chinese problems, little or no QC, no lube and dirt. But they are cheap. The ETA on the other hand, whether clone or swiss has good availability of parts and can be serviced and repaired. Makes a big difference. The ETAs are also fairly bulletproof.

Ska

+1 BL

Brightlight
What we call 21j are actually Miyota clones. These are decent movements if properly assembled, but most of the time that's not the case when they come in reps.

The solution is to get it serviced or to swap it with a properly assembled one.

Yes but the problem is the service is going to cost three times the cost of a new movement at least, and who will service a movement for which there are no parts....

Another point I forgot, they are definitely built down to a price so are fairly delicate, much more so than an ETA.