Sign in to follow this  
James.

when I see someone wearing a Rolex

James.

When I first started collecting watches the first thought that would cross my mind when I'd see or meet someone was generally "I wonder whether its gen". Sadly and recently my mentality has shifted to the initial reaction being "well, thats a boring, unimaginative choice by someone who just don't know better"

Excluding the vintages and one, mahbe two modern incarnations, it bemuses and befuddles me why people bother with the brand when for the same outlay there are so many better options in scope.

Hypocritically pontificated by someone currently pondering a hulk.

greg_r

Not only are you contemplating buying a Rolex, but you're contemplating buying THE most boring Rolex of them all. A submariner. :picard:

There's no hope for you, James. :lol:

... and yes, I'm wearing my DJ today :P

Mazz

Hey I own a gen sub.

seclark007

James, I think you are absolutely right. I like many came here looking for a sub. When I got turned onto Steinhart I ended up with a "LV Sub" and a "DRSD" in the form of two like-styled Ocean 1's. My next will be a GMT. They hit all the same style notes, and at the end of the day, three gens in my hand that still only equate to the cost of 1/3 of the cheapest used sub I could find.

plankton

Not only are you contemplating buying a Rolex, but you're contemplating buying THE most boring Rolex of them all. A submariner. :picard:

There's no hope for you, James. :lol:

... and yes, I'm wearing my DJ today :P

DateJust kicks ass! (DJII)

James.

A rep is one of the few logical choices of buying a watch with Rolex on the dial :lol:

James.

Theres obviously WIS who adore Rolex, but lately to me it seems the lazy option of someone who had $8k to spend but only 2 minutes to research whilst eating breakfast. Stigma of popular mediocrity.

StormyNight

Rolex. The choice of those with no imagination.

Signed:

Victoria

Owner of 10 black dial Rolex Sports models :D

greg_r

Hey I own a gen sub.

My commiserations. :D

rickyrosey

A lot of people who buy rolex also buy one because of the history of the model and the brand itself (just like many buy a "boring" panerai) it is one of the most important watches ever made in my opinion. But i also agree with what you guys say that people buy it just because its a rolex and they are expensive and cool for people who dont have a clue about other brands

James.

The history applied to only some models (like panerai) and is often a crutch.

I see someone with a tona, I look to see if its a zenith :lol: respect.

Baldrick
Hey I own a gen sub.

How very American of you :B):

dfq23

Google the words lottery winner and rolex.... I rest my case, stereotype or not ;)

greg_r

Seriously, what bugs me is that many of Rolex most interesting watches are not repped - most notably the Cellini Prince (which is by far my favourite Rollie). It's really only the common or garden stuff that's around. It's an interesting brand, but you'd never know it from the models that are repped (much as I admittedly like both the DJ and the Daytona).

Mazz

Too be honest I wouldn't donor again though

James.
Hey I own a gen sub.

How very American of you :B):

machine gun? Oops wrong thread He he he

greg, cellini is so underrated and unkwn because their marketing depertment accidentally deleted that model off their excel :lol:

fetasigma

well i came originally with an allergy to rolex.....but it has grown on me, especially vintages to the point to where rolex and its cousin tudor are half of my collection

Edited by fetasigma

dfq23

IMG_322259736838648_zps113c1a1b.jpg

I bet he bought a rolex

boneyjr

When I got into the rep game and began learning about watches, I stayed far away from Rolex for a lot of the same reasons that people have already stated in this thread. However, Rolex now dominates my collection. Why? Because of fit and versatility. All things being equal, I just really like the design, and the bracelet mechanisms are by far and away the best.

Baldrick

Quite frankly I see little of noteworthy innovation at Rolex, sure they came up with the new Yachtmaster and Air something.....but for a company with the resources they have and can command from other sectors of the industry, there's little of consequence.......where are the perpetual calendars. .....petite / grand sonneries....EOTs.......retour en vol.....dual time display (not GMT)......alarm watches..... 1/100th secs chronograph.....ad infinitum.....a complete lack of innovation.

At a time when the Swiss watch industry has fully recovered from the potential onslaught of quartz watches and in fact when Rolex is at the head of a new burgeoning market....particularly in men's watches....they should be exemplary. .....a new coat of paint ....lamentably late re-design of a rubbish clasp and some ridiculously oversized diver's watches........just doesn't cut it.......it's a fashion brand......dull and ordinary for dull and ordinary people....with limited aspirations.. :B):

Show me a dive watch from Rolex and I'll show you one from another manufacture that is better at the job and infinitely more attractive.

Show me a chronograph from Rolex and I'll show you one from another manufacture that is better at the job and infinitely more attractive.

Show me a dress watch.......etc etc.....you get the drift !!!

black263

Perchance I am misreading things young Baldrick. But I am starting to be of the opinion that you are not over-enamoured with Rolex. Could be wrong, of course, but it's just a feeling.

964boy

I always fancied a nice submariner, but gen was way out of my league, so I have owned a few reps, from cheap and nasty to a very nice BK WM9 TT, which I sold to help finance this baby, and YES it's gen

P1000318_zpsd1fbf882.jpg

A minted 14060m no date, wear it most dates, and it's a stunning classic

So one never knows where your watch collection will lead to.

HAPPY DATES :nana: :nana: :nana:

solkryssare

I agree innovation is not Rolex thing. But I have yet to see a dive watch as handsome in its simplicity as a Sub or SD. Over the years they made very small changes to end up with something that is almost perfect IMO. What's wrong with that?

Chiquita Fanjita

I agree innovation is not Rolex thing. But I have yet to see a dive watch as handsome in its simplicity as a Sub or SD. Over the years they made very small changes to end up with something that is almost perfect IMO. What's wrong with that?

Like the Porsche 911 ;)