Sign in to follow this  
P_Diddy

TAG HEUER AQUARACER 500

P_Diddy

My local AD was offering a BNIB TAG HEUER AQUARACER 500 quartz at 45% off RRP!

So I tried the watch on earlier in the week, a gen watch at 45% off RRP should be a BARGAIN.

Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500

What a disappointment! :johng:

I personally would not pay £300 for that lack of quality.

The bezel rotates easily and does not have the firm click feeling of a gen Rollie Sub or Omega Seamaster!

The bracelet end links don't have 'perfect' tightness to lugs ie the SEL issue again!

the way the crown screws in and out and have I felt 'better' fit and feeling from screwing down the crowns on A21j movements in rep watches!

Overall a lack of build quality and it does not feel 'expensive' even though RRP is over touch under £1300!

Are all gen modern Tag watches built this way, there's no feeling of substance the watch head does not feel 'sufficiently' heavy!

Comments from gen modern Tag owners or those who have handled gen modern Tags

Edited by P_Diddy

AllergyDoc

Maybe he's selling a rep! :johng:

Wouldn't he get in trouble.

Del

I have a gen Tag Aquaracer and do not recognise any of what you say about the model you tried. It oozes quality in my opinion (and everybody else who has handled it).

Here it is :johng:.

P7212723v3.jpg

P_Diddy

nice watch but your one is not same model as the one I posted, the one I posted is non chrono and has a HEV

anyway your 'gen' does not have 'tight' end links with the lugs

Can't understand how a gen manufacturer cannot get that level of tolerance right !

I have a gen Tag Aquaracer and do not recognise any of what you say about the model you tried. It oozes quality in my opinion (and everybody else who has handled it).

Here it is :johng:.

P7212723v3.jpg

Edited by P_Diddy

P_Diddy

its deffo 100% gen as its AD part of high st chain.

Sorry to gen modern Tag owners but the watches simply lack the feel of the equivalent Omega watches.

Maybe he's selling a rep! :johng:

Wouldn't he get in trouble.

Luthier

Maybe their quartz model were made in China?

;)

P_Diddy

I was thinking that but handled the autoversion which was visually identical except for the movement.

All the problems I highlighted in earlier post still existed!

beginning to think the lower end Tag watches are really fashion watches, IMO Tissot is similar or better quality but at less than HALF the price of Tag!

What is interesting is that few if any of the modern Tags are COSC certified.

Maybe their quartz model were made in China?

;)

turnipz

Has anyone gotten this tag heuer before:

1.jpg

Was really thinking of getting it wondering if its any good. ;)

greg_r

You need to link us to the actual item description, turnipz. However, I wouldn't buy from watcheden...

greg_r
http://www.watcheden.com/tag-heuer-aquarac...-22144-p-1.html

This is the one, is watcheden that bad? Thought most the watches are made in 1 spot and havent heard of any bad tags as of yet. ><

Well, other than the fact that they sell a lot of really low quality trash - and it can often be difficult to work out which are the decent cheapies and which are not - I can see no good reason to buy from them. You'll get better service and better prices on the good stuff elsewhere - and won't be running the risk of buying canal street junk.

The model you're linking to has faux chronos - you'd need quartz or a 7750 for the subdials to work properly. Just an average cheapie - fairly uninspiring. I wouldn't bother.

turnipz

Oh, thanks for the heads up on that was wondering why it was so hard to find with the 21j. Ah well all good, I dont mind spending more on ETA. So has anyone got the same model in ETA that can let me know if its any good?

carlton

Does anyone have a rep 500 ?

I was just eyeing one up on Marys site after perving at one in an AD window today.

ReplicaFromDownunder

you are buying an aqua racer, it's entry level Tag. What do you expect? Sometimes things have a discount for a reason.

Baldrick

With the exception of the TAG Formula series, the new entry level models do have a very poor overall feeling of quality, they actually feel and look like rep quality, slack bezel, dull finish, and the rubber bezel insert doesn't inspire, the net result is that if you buy a rep, you'll find it very close to gen.