Sign in to follow this  
srmd22

Need a regulation

srmd22

Well, my new LV Sub is slow by about 6 minutes a day. Jeez, this rep business is turning into a string of niggling hassles.

Aside from whining, I would like to get this thing regulated, and maybe waterproofed while I am at it. I figure going into most AD's will just get me arrested, or my watch conficsated (I know that is dramatic, but I am paranoid).

So-- anyone know a good watch repair guy in the boston-brookline-newton area of Massachusetts? It was a $45 watch, so I don't want to spend $50 to fix it, if ya know what I mean.

I am wearing the thing anyway, cuz it looks cool. Screw the time anyway, I'll get there when I get there.

KBH

For a $45 watch you're just as well off trying to fix it yourself. Anybody that does work on it is going to charge you probably as much as it cost.

Read some tutorials and get a set of small screwdrivers and some duct tape and start on your new career.

mondeov6
Well, my new LV Sub is slow by about 6 minutes a day. Jeez, this rep business is turning into a string of niggling hassles.

Aside from whining, I would like to get this thing regulated, and maybe waterproofed while I am at it. I figure going into most AD's will just get me arrested, or my watch conficsated (I know that is dramatic, but I am paranoid).

So-- anyone know a good watch repair guy in the boston-brookline-newton area of Massachusetts? It was a $45 watch, so I don't want to spend $50 to fix it, if ya know what I mean.

I am wearing the thing anyway, cuz it looks cool. Screw the time anyway, I'll get there when I get there.

Hi there,

Funny thing....(or not actually) :) I have got two of thoose "45$ Subs" wich I now have checked accuracy on for a couple of days.

Both of them are loosing almost on the spot 6 minutes a day!! I did not think it would bother me much but I think this is a

bit to much even for a cheapie. I am not sure this is possible to regulate.

@Greg-r : From what you told me in your PM this is a bit to much to regulate is it not?

Is it possible to regulate so that the time loss will be less?

Rolf

greg_r

Rolf: probably best to let the guys who really know what they're doing get in here and answer this as I'm no watchsmith, but whilst 6 mins is quite a lot, it should be within the realms of adjustment, I suspect...

mondeov6
Rolf: probably best to let the guys who really know what they're doing get in here and answer this as I'm no watchsmith, but whilst 6 mins is quite a lot, it should be within the realms of adjustment, I suspect...

OK!...Thank's Greg for the speeeeeeedy answer!! :)

Rolf

srmd22

Ok KBH, sounds like a fun adventure. I will start searching for "how to regulate" info and go to town.

How do you get the back off of these things? I bought a cheap watch opener with multiple attachements for various watches. Tried to open my swiss army officer quartz with it and merely scratched up the back a bit. Still haven't changed the battery, and that was 2 years ago!

Brightlight

Six minutes a day is far too much to regulate out, something else is wrong with the movement. Probably it is lacking in lubrication and possibly the amplitude of the balance is wrong or the hairspring has problems. Frankly there is not a lot you can do with a 21J as there are no parts available. It's cheaper and better to go for a new movement, I fitted one from Cousins in a DSSD this week and it kept good time out of the box. Cost the customer about $50 though all in............

EDIT: Meant to say, an ETA movement has a total of about a minute a day that can be regulated out, see the pic below, the marks below the regulation screw are 6 seconds/day each

SwissETA.jpg

mondeov6
Ok KBH, sounds like a fun adventure. I will start searching for "how to regulate" info and go to town.

How do you get the back off of these things? I bought a cheap watch opener with multiple attachements for various watches. Tried to open my swiss army officer quartz with it and merely scratched up the back a bit. Still haven't changed the battery, and that was 2 years ago!

I bought a cheap "Rolex type" case back opener that actually did fit really good on the case back.

The case backs where quite tight but I got them off pretty easy.

mondeov6
Six minutes a day is far too much to regulate out, something else is wrong with the movement. Probably it is lacking in lubrication and possibly the amplitude of the balance is wrong or the hairspring has problems. Frankly there is not a lot you can do with a 21J as there are no parts available. It's cheaper and better to go for a new movement, I fitted one from Cousins in a DSSD this week and it kept good time out of the box. Cost the customer about $50 though all in............

EDIT: Meant to say, an ETA movement has a total of about a minute a day that can be regulated out, see the pic below, the marks below the regulation screw are 6 seconds/day each

SwissETA.jpg

Yeah...got the same answer from Greg, 6 minutes is not possible to regulate. I tried to regulate my LV and now it is losing about 4, 5 minutes. As you say

the possible regulation span seem to be about 1 to 1,5 minutes tops. On the first picture is the unregulated black sub. Both watches had the same position

before regulating the LV. Second picture is the LV "regulated" pretty much as far as possible I think.

Non regulated

regu2.jpg

Regulated

regu1.jpg

I will settle for the fact that I will end up with two watches that will loose about 4 minutes a day. Not worth spending any money on!

What I will do is to stay away from "bargain" watches from now on. My gut feeling says the risk of getting a watch with either functional

or cosmetic flaws are greater when buying to cheap. I base that on the fact that out of 10 watches bought as wholesale or very low price

watches only three of them are without visible and functional flaws, and they are all quartz watches!.

The watches I have bought at "regular" prices are all very good!

So it might be you do not always get the best examples from the "top shelf" when prices are significantly dropped. The "Hit or Miss" factor

is likely to be more frequent.

Rolf.. who obviously still have a lot to learn about the rep business! :)

Brightlight

Rolf, you can try moving the lever closest to the weight a little closer still(clockwise move). This has the effect of shortening the spring and making the watch run faster. Shouldn't really be done as you're messing with the amplitude of the balance wheel which is better done on a machine, but it may help your situation. As ever, make very small movements and monitor before moving any more. You are unlikely to do any harm and it could improve things and you have nothing to lose. It's a bit like using more power in your car to compensate for the fact the brakes are binding, not correct but can have the required end result!

By the way I've just bought a couple of those NN movements from Cousins, with VAT and postage they worked out at £16. The rep factories seem to be using the NN2813 instead of the DG2813 quite a lot, not sure why.

mondeov6
Rolf, you can try moving the lever closest to the weight a little closer still(clockwise move). This has the effect of shortening the spring and making the watch run faster. Shouldn't really be done as you're messing with the amplitude of the balance wheel which is better done on a machine, but it may help your situation. As ever, make very small movements and monitor before moving any more. You are unlikely to do any harm and it could improve things and you have nothing to lose. It's a bit like using more power in your car to compensate for the fact the brakes are binding, not correct but can have the required end result!

By the way I've just bought a couple of those NN movements from Cousins, with VAT and postage they worked out at £16. The rep factories seem to be using the NN2813 instead of the DG2813 quite a lot, not sure why.

Thank's BL, I really have nothing to loose (the watch was really cheap) so I 'll try moving that lever just a liiiiiiiittle bit. :)

I'll post later on the result.