Sign in to follow this  
J.Eric

AP Diver with Low-Beat Mod

J.Eric

Hi Gang!

I wanted to share with you my most recent mod attempt. I used my v3.5 diver with an ETA 2824 I picked up from WI a little over a year ago.

I found an ETA 2846 from the Bay and when I received it, I set out to finish the mod. After all is said and done, I have a AP Diver beating

at 21.6k and loosing about 5 seconds a day.

I used the info from this post from the other RWG http://www.rwgforum....t-2824-success/

Just like the post said, it was very simple to swap the parts over.

Here are few pics...

ETA 2846 as it arrived

P1450501_zpsd65cd70f.jpg

P1450494_zps8f6aa9a6.jpg

And with the balance assembly, pallet fork, pallet fork bridge and escapement wheel installed

20140404_041638_zpsrhybnstx.jpg

20140404_041707_zps2hhjku1f.jpg

20140404_041739_zps5inkpceq.jpg

20140404_042142_zps3mrmcebg.jpg

And here are the video results. Although the watch beats at 6 times a sec, it is still very smooth.

Thanks for looking!!

JSJ

Great work! Thanks for sharing.

You gonna regulate to +5?

J.Eric

I will try to get it more exact, but for now i can live with it.

+/- 5 seconds seems decently accurate.

If any one cares, this cost $30 and about 30 mins to do.

Well worth it.

SSTEEL

Great job! What you doing with the spares left over? :P

J.Eric

Great job! What you doing with the spares left over? :P

Thanks! I saw your post about looking for spares....

The 2824 parts went into the 2846. I was going to try to swap the GMT parts from my GMT IIc onto the 2846 since the clone is acting weird again

and the date no longer quick-changes. If I am successful, I will shoot you a pm about the clone.

JSJ

Mmm, is there a 'usual' cause for the the date not to quick-change? I'll be interested to read what you do because I just bought a 2892 which only sometimes quick-changes. I'm thinking a keyless issue?

SSTEEL

Mmm, is there a 'usual' cause for the the date not to quick-change? I'll be interested to read what you do because I just bought a 2892 which only sometimes quick-changes. I'm thinking a keyless issue?

Possibly, but maybe not, it could be related to the calendar click spring, and/or calendar 24hr flip gear.

JSJ

OK thanks for that Micky. I haven't delved inside it yet. So far, apart from that it's working fine so it's not my priority. I may not be able to resist though...

profsteve

This may be a silly question but why did you decide to replace the 2824 with the 2846?

SSTEEL

This may be a silly question but why did you decide to replace the 2824 with the 2846?

He didn't, he just swapped out the balance, pallet fork, and escapement from the 2846 fitting them in the 2824-2.

J.Eric

The Gen Diver beats at 21.6k (6 beats a second) where as the 2824 beats at 28.8k (8 beats a second.)

The date wouldn't flip over at midnight but would eventually change around 10 am, so I reset the hands to make the change at midnight. I could never figure out why

it was doing this so that's how I left it. Has been working fine like that for over six months.

Edited by J.Eric

JSJ

The date wouldn't flip over at midnight but would eventually change around 10 am, so I reset the hands to make the change at midnight. I could never figure out why it was doing this so that's how I left it. Has been working fine like that for over six months.

That just means someone put the hands on in the wrong place.

J.Eric

It used to work just fine when I got it but stopped working a short time later.

I am looking at it now. I believe there is a problem with flip gear. It doesn't turn enough to change the date wheel.

Its not catching on anything because I can manually set the date and it changes smoothly.

plankton

Pretty cool dude!

J.Eric
Pretty cool dude!

Thanks!!

SSTEEL

You got me looking on ebay now for 2846 movements, and they can be had really cheap too, most I spotted yesterday, `£20 delivered :)

J.Eric

They can be a great deal. The two I bought came from India and were packaged good.

SSTEEL

They can be a great deal. The two I bought came from India and were packaged good.

Always been dubious about buying from sellers in India, don't know why lol.

J.Eric

Me too but they had really good feedback so I gave it a chance.

Good luck on your quest!