Sign in to follow this  
avc0002

Mechanical chronograph question.

avc0002

I have some technical knowledge but not too much. I have a mechanical chrono that works fine but when I reset it the chrono hand goes to 2 sec. instead of centering up to the top.

can I fix it? or should i take it somewhere.

Thanks

black263

IF you feel up to it, simply remove the hand and replace it on the 12 o'clock. If you don't feel brave, it's a simple job for your local watchmaker.

JSJ

Relatively easy like black says - which watch is it? Some are more difficult to get at than others. Most will be movement out from the back which is easy peasy. The IWC Portuguese for example, you will need to take off the bezel and crystal. Not so very difficult but if you don't know that, it's a right bugger.

This non-zeroing the reason we are strongly advised to reset the chrono hand when it is stopped between 10 and 2. If you reset from further round the dial, the momentum can move the sweep hand from zero.

avc0002

ok sweet. I'll probably drop it off somewhere. because I dont really want to mess with this watch. I want to get a hold of a cheaper one that I can tinker with.

know what a good cheap watch I can take apart?

black263

Does this one zero always clockwise, or does it take the shortest route back to the 12?

Daywatch

Hi, I trained on this one: a V6 from miniinthebox for $6,99, lol - was enough to learn the basics removing stem/ pushing off/ replacing hands and mount a Seiko FFF - still training lume application - it´s a mess:))

IMG_1866.jpg

avc0002

Does this one zero always clockwise, or does it take the shortest route back to the 12?

hmm. not sure. Im pretty sure it goes counter clockwise but I can check when I get to it next time.

Hi, I trained on this one: a V6 from miniinthebox for $6,99, lol - was enough to learn the basics removing stem/ pushing off/ replacing hands and mount a Seiko FFF - still training lume application - it´s a mess:))

IMG_1866.jpg

Very nice. good call on the cheap watch. Where can I get one?

Daywatch

Just google miniinthebox the above is the V6 - but they have cheaper ones :lmao: