Sign in to follow this  
pilch23

Which camera?

pilch23

Morning all

Looking to invest in a camera....currently using my phone to take pics.

Would like something point and click, but with quality results, quick and simple uploads.

Flexible on price for right camera.

In summary, an idiots camera which produces great pictures!

Cheers

TheInthusiest

Get a DSLR. Forget the point and shoots. You already have one on your phone.

Go to Nikon.

Look in investing in a Refurbished D7000

you can easily get them for around $600+ a nice quality kit lens.

Thats what i did.

You should too. :)

Ive got some photos scattered around my feed. i will post some later if you wish. :)

It may be a little challenging at first with a semi-pro camera, but i will tell you, it is worth it!

Edited by TheInthusiest

c888

Point and shoot.. so I assume your looking for something that is easy to use and somewhat portable? You looking for flexibility and room to grow down the road? If so I'd suggest a mirror-less DSLR like the newest and greatest sony a6000. Just released and great reviews. priced around 800.

If your looking for something more portable, with fixed lens but puts out nice pics then the Sony RX100II, Canon G16 and Fuji X20. Each has their pros and cons..

I personally like the newer line of Sony cameras,.. good image quality, easy to use.

It'll come down the budget and what your expecting your camera to do..

triplehd

Go to Nikon.

+1 with Nikon. been using my D90 for years now and very happy. Thought upgrading the the D7000 for the video aspect, but hardly take video with the camera.

www.kenrockwell.com

Read his reviews on all types of cameras, lenses, etc.

chekkarn

The reason why I would stick to a point and shoot rather than a DSLR is the depth of field. Say if you use a DSLR and trying to take some good macro shots, the depth of field is usually hair thin (if you use a big aperture).

Other reason why I would recommend a point and shoot is they are generally easy to use. If you don't want to fiddle with settings like a DSLR usually requires.

Having this said I only shoot with my big full frame Canon 5D mk2 :P

Vaughn

If you need a good quality high iso, great colors, solid sharpness and light weight device then go with Fujifilm X-E1, X-E2 or X-T1.

Those are amazing retro style cameras. I had Canon 5D, Nikon D90, Canon 40D, Pentax K20D once and when I bought Fuji X-E1 I forgot about all the DSLRs.

If you are not a professional photographer then there is no need to carry heavy cameras and lenses with you since you don't get paind for that :)

black263

It's mostly the photographer of course. I reckon that Del is at the top of the game in this respect, with a handful of other members ranked alongside him. This is what he uses.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=43659

If you want to go down this route, cheap and cheerfully, Amazon is showcasing a number of sellers of used models. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0015IOB0Q/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

nev848

I splashed out and invested in a new model Sony A58 then splashed out some more on a Macro lens. This was my first attempt at a Macro shot of my Ball second hand. Just need to get a light box sorted now.

6ccd146c7dadc28e87075877d6fe8c4c_zpse42a4b93.jpg

jeffrsho

I use a Sony NEX-3N that is a great point and shoot with some dslr qualities and features. The cost is great too at $299. Here is an example of a picture shot with it.

DSC00470_zps7b1a38ad.jpg

Howeazie

Any Panasonic Lumix that appeals to you. I have owned a few and they have all been reliable, easy to use and produce great shots.

Frankt8242

From what I have seen posted by the folks using the more recent phone cameras, I would say that the old fashioned P&S cameras are rapidly becoming obsolete...I have seen some EXCELLENT results from phone cameras lately...

gbx

Go to Nikon.

+1 with Nikon. been using my D90 for years now and very happy. Thought upgrading the the D7000 for the video aspect, but hardly take video with the camera.

www.kenrockwell.com

Read his reviews on all types of cameras, lenses, etc.

I have both a D90 and a D7000. The D90 was my go-to camera for a long time... but there's something about the D7000 that results in better photographs. I did go back and play with the fine tuning of the D90 (saturation, etc) and ended up assuming it was indeed the sensor. It's hard to explain, but I think when I went from my D40 to my D90, I always felt the pictures were missing something I couldn't quite put my finger on... and it's back now with the D7000.

LightGeek

Canon HS330. WiFi, macro capability, and it's on clearance to boot so it can be had around $100 USD. Workflow is key... you want to be able to get images out quickly. The alternative is adding a Eye-Fi or FlashAir card so you can pull pics right into your phone for editing and upload.

onionbag

If it's a compact camera you're after then look for a Canon digital Ixus, highly recommended :thumbsup2:

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=52580

This.

SSTEEL

I currently use a Sanyo HD1000 with wifi card, it ok, but showing its age now. I do however plan on moving up to a digital SLR eventually.

YotaBoy

Compact camera with dslr style features? I'd go for the canon G- series

thehardnochlife

The Pentax K3 and K5 are the best you can get (entry level). Pentax has in camera vibration reduction and weatherproofing. You won't find either in a Nikon or Canon. You should check out dpreview for camera reviews.

That being said, being a semi-pro, I have a Nikon D7100 because I need super pro lenses. My backup camera is a D300S

Realism

Samsung Galaxy S4... I'm cheap

Conex

Micro four thirds is a route worth looking at as well. Think mini DSLR. Olympus pen Series is a good start. I used to shoot on a Lecia M7 when i shot film and the Olympus EPL has a very similar feel and result. Fuji make great alternatives to the Pen as well.

Dr Yan

I agree with Franko, phone for point and shoot.

KarmaToBurn
Compact camera with dslr style features? I'd go for the canon G- series

+1 Canon Power shot G or S series are some fantastic cameras. I've been using a S95 for a couple of years worth no problems at all and some great pictures.

Bash64

I would not be scared of an SLR. I bought a used entry level Canon T3 for $275. The quality of photos is amazing and it is easy. Depth of field is easy to adjust and the camera connects to my computer for easy download.

It works as point and shoot if you like (the green square setting) with auto focus and auto everything or will allow you to develop your skills and make adjustments a little or a lot as you feel comfortable. I also shied away form an SLR for the reasons you mentioned, but now that I have one, I am surprised how easy it is to use.

Just my 2 cents.

mattstone83

compact - sony rx100 (also great travel camera)

dslr - d7200 or d610 if you want full frame semi pro

pics from both and my old d5100 are here ----> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattstone83/sets

HK / Macau / Singapore were taken with the rx100 (which has a great macro mode)

Edited by mattstone83

thehardnochlife

compact - sony rx100 (also great travel camera)

dslr - d7200 or d610 if you want full frame semi pro

pics from both and my old d5100 are here ----> http://www.flickr.co...attstone83/sets

HK / Macau / Singapore were taken with the rx100 (which has a great macro mode)

The Nikon D7200 does not exist. I think you meant Nikon D7100 which I have and LOVE. OP should get a 35mm 1.8