Sign in to follow this  
pilch23

Which camera?

Ghostripper

The problem that no one is pointing out here is that most of the good DSLR lenses are really expensive, the rest of them are crap (color aberrations, distortion, poor apertures, etc) with a few exemptions of course.

If you really want TOTAL control, enjoy a learning curve and spend money in the long run get a DSLR.

If you want a camera that can take great photos straight from the camera get a point and shoot and base your search on the ones with high quality lenses forget about the megapixel shot you will never really use it.

I will never forget my first digital camera 14 years ago...it was a point and shot with a really good lens and it had 1.3 Megapixels, hahahaha!!!

Cheers

mattstone83

compact - sony rx100 (also great travel camera)

dslr - d7200 or d610 if you want full frame semi pro

pics from both and my old d5100 are here ----> http://www.flickr.co...attstone83/sets

HK / Macau / Singapore were taken with the rx100 (which has a great macro mode)

The Nikon D7200 does not exist. I think you meant Nikon D7100 which I have and LOVE. OP should get a 35mm 1.8

Right you are getting mixed up with the d5200 and d7100. D7100 is a beastly camera at a reasonable price,

Conex

The problem that no one is pointing out here is that most of the good DSLR lenses are really expensive, the rest of them are crap (color aberrations, distortion, poor apertures, etc) with a few exemptions of course.

If you really want TOTAL control, enjoy a learning curve and spend money in the long run get a DSLR.

If you want a camera that can take great photos straight from the camera get a point and shoot and base your search on the ones with high quality lenses forget about the megapixel shot you will never really use it.

I will never forget my first digital camera 14 years ago...it was a point and shot with a really good lens and it had 1.3 Megapixels, hahahaha!!!

Cheers

A very good point. It's all about the lens. What winds me up on most point and shoots and cheaper DSLRs is the lens does not have an infinity setting. That's probably the thing I miss the most from my SLR and Rangefinder days.

torobravo

I bought one Panasonic from Japan because it was a really killer deal, turns out when I received it has menu in japanese only and cannot be changed..

Ghostripper

I bought one Panasonic from Japan because it was a really killer deal, turns out when I received it has menu in japanese only and cannot be changed..

Nunca es tarde para aprender un tercer idioma, jajaja!!!!

It is never too late to learn a second language! :)

Ghostripper

This is great pro/cons review of several types of cameras.

http://shotkit.com/dave-hill/

pilch23

Gents, thanks for help and suggestions.....done lots of reading and looking at reviews etc.

Great help.....off to make a purchase!