Sign in to follow this  
coolin

My new PAM 127 and its Problem's

coolin

Well my Pam 127 finally arrived from Robert and 1st impressions were good I loved the big funky look with its bubble glass and the vintage feel of this sweet piece was perfect.

However! on closer inspection there were a few probs which I have listed below that did annoy me but the major one was when I wound it for the day (40+ winds), then strapped it on only too see it stop within the 1st hour. Its been two days now since i received the watch and it has now stopped several times usually when I remove and put it down while washing ect. I did have a similar problem with a Rolex GMT but it seemed to settle down after a day and now causes me no problems whatsoever.

I have posted pics for you guys to comment on the other problems so let me know what you think, maybe im just being a little picky with some of the small faults on the Pam as I keep seeing the phrase "EXPECTATIONS TOO HIGH" but are they? I personally think not on higher end reps at this price range. Either way I am hoping to rectify them and if needed have the watch looked at locally if the movement continues to play up.

Grrrrr annoying dust everyone notices inc the half blind wife!

pam1.jpg

Bit over indulgent with the paint me thinks

pam4.jpg

Dust and Hair inside back glass

pam3.jpg

CG small ding which is actually more noticeable in the flesh

pam5.jpg

Things I need to sort:

1. Sort Movement problem. just a thought but could dust be the cause of the movement stopping?

2. Clean off excess paint or whatever it is on rear engraving

3. remove hair from dagger and dust from inside the back glass of the watch

4. Source new Lug pin as one of the existing ones is stripped and wont unscrew, you have to push it out

5. Sort small ding on Crown Guard and maybe improve canon pin at same time

6. remove spec of dust inside front glass (this is the biggest annoyance for me)

I think most of these things could be sorted by a service and if the movement still plays up by next week ill look into getting them done all at once by a watchsmith. However if the watch settles down and plays nice all I need to know from you guys is where the hell do I get a case back remover for this thing its huge! and is the movement straight forward to remove? (have done a few simple ones already)

Although I have only been a member a couple of months I am not new to the rep scene, I have bought several reps since joining RWG and already own several more which I have collected over the past 10 yrs. This is my most expensive piece to date @ $280 + shipping so my expectations were dashed going off past purchases. Which may I add all of which were faultless and in some cases a 1/3 of the PAMs price or less, so it seems cost doesn't always come into it with QC.

It has not put me off buying some of the more expensive reps and I will definitely be buying another PAM when funds permit, but it has brought me back down to earth with the realization that you can easily end up with the runt of the littler now and again.

now where did I put that hammer :lol:

Col

AllergyDoc

Hmm... Sounds like Robert should swap you for a new one. Very unusual to get one with that many "issues." Happens though. Robert's a good dealer so I'm sure he'll sort it out for you.

Ska

Yup +1.

I think you've definitely got a case there.

Also - the 1st photo is wonderful. REALLY great. :lol:.

coolin

TBH I wasn't gonna bother him if I can sort myself I will as I dont fancy any mail problems and losing it altogether! a bird in the hand and all that lol

col

Member X

Yeah, I fear the customs too!

A good service from BL on here won't cost much more than shipping back and forth, plus you'll know it's a good movement when serviced :lol:

greg_r

Very unfortunate - usually the 6497 is completely bomb proof. I'm sure that Robert will happily sort it out for you if you want him to, but that's up to you.

PAM caseback removers are available from the RWGshop. Either have a look on the shop site or drop Col a PM.

skintrade
Hmm... Sounds like Robert should swap you for a new one. Very unusual to get one with that many "issues." Happens though. Robert's a good dealer so I'm sure he'll sort it out for you.

As you know I have 2 lovely Pams which were both from Robert. You should PM him m8 as I could not live with those issues myself.

I feel invested in your purchase as I told you to go to Robert for your PAMs but to be honest I would still give you the same advice as you may well have received a one off runt as you say.

I will go for another Pam at some point and will always use Robert, I am sure he will want to do right by you.

johnnyboy

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Panerai B)

sconehead

...re-stopping, take the back off it and tighten or loosen the balance bridge screw to see if it makes a difference...B)

KBH

Try duct tape for removing the case back. And like Sconey said, check the screws on the the bridges for tightness. The first Pam I bought had the same problem and it was a loose screw.

But with the numerous problems you have, I'd consider just asking Robert for a new one.

graman

Understand your pain mate, but also your position..good luck with it....

That cannot be the real johnnyboy...................

AustinTech

Best of luck with sorting these things out. I'd see how much it would cost to fix these issues with a watch repairer. If its over $50 I'd just send it back for a replacement. Robert shouldn't have a problem with that unless you bought it wholesale.

greg_r

oh yes it can :lol:

Eiderdaus

I would not tell you to do anything yourself. You bought a Watch that should work and the Dealer is responsible for. Why should you accept fixing issues yourself. You won't buy a pair of shoes to repair the sole because theres a whole in.....

johnnyboy

I have TTK'S head mounted on my wall to prove it.

Edited by johnnyboy

greg_r
I would not tell you to do anything yourself. You bought a Watch that should work and the Dealer is responsible for. Why should you accept fixing issues yourself. You won't buy a pair of shoes to repair the sole because theres a whole in.....

Yep - for sure. However, I sympathise with the OPs dilemma as getting it repaired locally can be both quicker and less hassle.

skintrade
Try duct tape for removing the case back. And like Sconey said, check the screws on the the bridges for tightness. The first Pam I bought had the same problem and it was a loose screw.

But with the numerous problems you have, I'd consider just asking Robert for a new one.

Well Col, whats the latest m8 ?

I have had a chance to now view the pics on my PC and can only agree with other members, there are too many issues to deal with here. Don't attempt to fix it yourself, definately go with a swap out.

Keep us informed.

Oh and any chance of a wrist shot ? :lol:

coolin

Well Col, whats the latest m8 ?

I have had a chance to now view the pics on my PC and can only agree with other members, there are too many issues to deal with here. Don't attempt to fix it yourself, definately go with a swap out.

Keep us informed.

Oh and any chance of a wrist shot ? :P

Hey Andy

im gonna try the duck tape trick and check the bridge screws suggestion, but as of this morning (touching wood desk) the PAM hasn't stopped for the first time ever overnight so I cranked on another 10-15 turns and ill wear it again today.

Ill invest in loupe or magnifier to try solve the paint problems after the bank holiday WE and at the same time have a quick shifty on checking the removal process of the movement while the backs off.

I am in no rush as I want a nice strap from Kain Heratige so ill look for a decent movement holder in the meantime and source a Lug pin and maybe even a CG to get anal on this beauty.

col

ps ill wear it this WE for you to check out in the flesh m8e

graman
I have TTK'S head mounted on my wall to prove it.

Will the real jf please stand up! :rofl:

skintrade

Saw this watch today and BOOM did not realise the size of the "Fiddy" and apart from Stevie Wonder doing the QC it is an awesome watch :thumbsup: even sweeter when restrapped.

Member X

Yep, the 47mm PAM really are substantial compared to the 44mm versions! ;)