Sign in to follow this  
Necromancer

Stem came out - help wanted please

Necromancer

Wow this place is simply amazing.

Thanks for the very kind offer Rolie - so greatful and have pm'd you.

Thanks also to JSJ and everyone else for the help and input.

Will update all soon!

ROLIE

Not a problem bytor thing is I only live 7 miles from you anyway

ROLIE

HI bytor just read your pm and reply back incoming where you live is maybe a little longer than 7 miles lol but still not a problem as I said you can drop it of

LightGeek

Update - I took the back off today, found the detent button (thanks fatarms) and tried to gently insert the stem.

It went in but would not seem to catch or hold.

The watch stops when the stem is fully inserted but usually starts when the stem is pulled out a little.

Also, the rotor appears to have suddenly become noisier.

Any further help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This needs a watchsmith to investigate. I think you have proven beyond reasonable doubt that it's not a simple fix. Sorry mate.

The next question is how much are you prepared to pay a watchsmith to fix this? A new movement is only £30 from CousinsUK - but then you will have to install it yourself or pay someone to do it.

You are about to start on the law of diminishing returns. Welcome to the world of reps. Whereabouts are you?

Well, how deep are you into this hobby? Buying a new movement you'll also need to buy tools to change it or pay someone else. You might as well procure some tools and try to fix it first before getting a new movement... or even sending it back.

Necromancer

UPDATE !!

All sorted and running like a dream thanks to the very kind offer of help from ROLIE.

After reading about my problems on here, ROLIE, a member who I have never before communicated with, posted on this thread and as he lives not too far from me

(around 15 miles), offered to take a look at the watch.

After a couple of PM's I took the watch round to him, left it with him and less than a day later it's all sorted and back on my wrist!

ROLIE didn't even want to charge me for the work and said he was 'just pleased to be able to help a local fellow forum member'

(although I obviously left him a few quid for a pint or two for his time and trouble)

I'm so grateful to him and indeed to everyone else who posted in this thread with advice and help.

This is one hell of a place we have here!

Anyway, allowing for my poor watch movement knowledge, this is what was found -

Firstly, the 21j movement wasn't a DG2813 or DG4813 but some other asian movement (I can't remember what he said it was called).

The stem itself was broken near the end and a piece of it was left in the works.

The detent had come away from its self so he staked that back together.

He reset the keyless and lubed it up with d5. Also lubed the pallet jewels with 9415 on the escapement.

He also timed the watch up, let it run all night and then tweaked the secs a day to get it running as good as possible with this movement.

When I collected the watch earlier today, ROLIE showed me his 'workshop' - a converted room with a vast collection of watch repair tools (new and vintage)

spare parts, cleaning equipment, pressure testing equipment etc and also a very impressive collection of quality reps.

Although he doesn't seem to post on this forum a great deal, this guy certainly knows his stuff and lives practically on my doorstep.

I can also highly recommend ROLIE if anyone else in the UK needs any advice, watch repairs or servicing work doing.

I now have a smoothly running watch again and a 'go to' watchsmith locally should I ever need one in future.

Thanks again to everyone !

Pseudonym

RWG spirit in the flesh. Love this place!!

JSJ

Well impressed Rolie.

wqleow

UPDATE !!

All sorted and running like a dream thanks to the very kind offer of help from ROLIE.

After reading about my problems on here, ROLIE, a member who I have never before communicated with, posted on this thread and as he lives not too far from me

(around 15 miles), offered to take a look at the watch.

After a couple of PM's I took the watch round to him, left it with him and less than a day later it's all sorted and back on my wrist!

ROLIE didn't even want to charge me for the work and said he was 'just pleased to be able to help a local fellow forum member'

(although I obviously left him a few quid for a pint or two for his time and trouble)

I'm so grateful to him and indeed to everyone else who posted in this thread with advice and help.

This is one hell of a place we have here!

Anyway, allowing for my poor watch movement knowledge, this is what was found -

Firstly, the 21j movement wasn't a DG2813 or DG4813 but some other asian movement (I can't remember what he said it was called).

The stem itself was broken near the end and a piece of it was left in the works.

The detent had come away from its self so he staked that back together.

He reset the keyless and lubed it up with d5. Also lubed the pallet jewels with 9415 on the escapement.

He also timed the watch up, let it run all night and then tweaked the secs a day to get it running as good as possible with this movement.

When I collected the watch earlier today, ROLIE showed me his 'workshop' - a converted room with a vast collection of watch repair tools (new and vintage)

spare parts, cleaning equipment, pressure testing equipment etc and also a very impressive collection of quality reps.

Although he doesn't seem to post on this forum a great deal, this guy certainly knows his stuff and lives practically on my doorstep.

I can also highly recommend ROLIE if anyone else in the UK needs any advice, watch repairs or servicing work doing.

I now have a smoothly running watch again and a 'go to' watchsmith locally should I ever need one in future.

Thanks again to everyone !

Now that's what RWG is all about! Cheers to Rolie! And enjoy the watch Bytor. Now this watch comes with an interesting dinner story.

dfer777

Freakum aussome