Sign in to follow this  
HamiltonFan

Fascinated newbie

HamiltonFan

Hey there! A few weeks ago I started looking at watches online, and I think I'm a genuine addict now. I really had no idea what I was getting into. I've got no "collection" to speak of, minus a really lovely Lucien Piccard my parents purchased for me a few years ago.

I also have a cheesy Chinese thing I bought for travel...it's got two time zones and cost about $15. It's an "OS Dandon," apparently...I get TONS OF COMPLIMENTS on it, which is irritating. Nobody ever noticed the LP...

It's been a lot of fun trying to figure out which watch to purchase, and this site has just blown my mind.

Until I discovered this site, I was totally unaware of replica watches. I was slowly narrowing down my selections, based on my budget, to a few less-expensive genuine brands that still seemed pretty highly regarded in their own way by watch enthusiasts like yourselves. Seikos, Bulovas, Citizens (That Nighthawk is just insane), and the Victorinox/Wenger types. But my budget is definitely...not tremendous. I'm on the GI Bill right now, so if I suddenly started wearing an extremely expensive make of watch, I'm sure people would figure me out pretty fast. I'm hoping to purchase something that I guess would be an "entry-level" kind of guy's watch. So far I'm looking at some really neat replica Omegas, Ebels (my dad has always been an Ebel guy...says they're the only watch that doesn't tend to catch on his sleeve), IWC, and other watches that wouldn't cost more than my house if they were "real."

I've also got a thing for Hamiltons. I know they aren't American anymore, but I like them a lot.

I kind of want to avoid Tag Heur...it's not that the watches aren't great, but everyone knows Tag, and I'd like to stand out just a little bit.

I'd appreciate any advice -- purchasing tips, styles to avoid, or just help narrowing my selections down...I went from having very few options to way too many! It's nice to have a community of experts to pester with dumb questions.

Thanks again!

pollux1

One of the Ebels is considered a SUPER REP, really one of the best out there. It uses the Asian 7750 movement so figure in a service in the next six months to be safe and you're good to go! oh and welcome mate!

KBH

Welcome. There are some fantastic Omegas available. PO's, Speedmasters, Railmasters, Seamasters, GMTs and chronos. You just have to do a little research to find the best reps.

Also, the Ebel 1911 Discovery is one of my favorites. Be sure to check of the review section.

FILE0003ps-1.jpg

trailboss99

That would be the Discovery Pollux, yes it is indeed almost perfect.

The only tell is the .5mm too long pushers otherwise it is identical to the gen.

Since Ebel have a lot of parts made in China it is very possible that the case

and dial at least are in fact gen bits. If not, someone stole the blue prints!

Col.

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :P

HamiltonFan
One of the Ebels is considered a SUPER REP, really one of the best out there. It uses the Asian 7750 movement so figure in a service in the next six months to be safe and you're good to go! oh and welcome mate!

Thanks for the tip!

HamiltonFan

Whoa. That Ebel is just about perfect. Interesting point about the manufacturing location of genuine Ebels...

This is all just way too much fun. I keep waiting for people on this forum to pop out from behind a curtain and say, "Ha, it's all a lie, we made these watches out of plastic just to fool you!" But everyone seems pretty happy with what they find...

I guess I'll have to go hunt through the rep Omega catalogs now...oh darn...;)

dingle
Whoa. That Ebel is just about perfect. Interesting point about the manufacturing location of genuine Ebels...

This is all just way too much fun. I keep waiting for people on this forum to pop out from behind a curtain and say, "Ha, it's all a lie, we made these watches out of plastic just to fool you!" But everyone seems pretty happy with what they find...

I guess I'll have to go hunt through the rep Omega catalogs now...oh darn...:lol:

"if you got da money,honey, we got your disease"....;)

HamiltonFan

Seriously...speaking of diseases, when I first started shopping, I almost bought an Invicta. From what I read about them afterward, I'm really glad that I didn't. They have a D- rating at the Better Business Bureau...I'd rather take my chances with the folks in China you guys work with.

madcatlancelot

Welcome to the forum hammyfan!

For Omegas, I'd recommend the SeamasterPro Chrono, wonderful watch! The SMP Chronos were out of stock for few months and just became available few days ago. Here's some pict of my SMP chrono, the glass had an AR coating modification.

OmegaSMPProChrono01.jpg

OmegaSMPChronowristshot01resize.jpg

OmegaSMPChronowristshot02resize.jpg

OmegaSMPChronowristshot03resize.jpg

onzenuub
I also have a cheesy Chinese thing I bought for travel...

Is that thing female????

HamiltonFan

Hi, is it bad form on this forum to just come out and ask where someone got their watch? Because I'd really like to know more about that Ebel you posted. If you'd rather not, that's fine, I'll just keep looking. Thanks again.

dingle
Hi, is it bad form on this forum to just come out and ask where someone got their watch? Because I'd really like to know more about that Ebel you posted. If you'd rather not, that's fine, I'll just keep looking. Thanks again.

NO. that is exactly why we are here. Ask away :D

trailboss99

Any dealer can source that one for you mate, most if not all the dealers watches come from the same places, the exception being stuff like WM9s that are unique to one dealer. For that one I would try ReplicaMake myself.

Col.

onzenuub
I would try ReplicaMake myself.

Col.

You are going to rep yourself????????????? Wow.

KBH

I got that Ebel from Ruby, but as Trailboss said almost all our dealers can get it. Ruby's good, Mary at WacthInternational is good. Mark at Timeshops is good, Robert at PWC is good (as long as you don't ask too many questions).

There's a lot of dealers that I haven't used but have great relationships with other members. Read up and decide on which one sounds like they'd be good for you.

skintrade

Hello and welcome :thumbsup:

Pob

Welcome and enjoy your stay with us ;)