Sign in to follow this  
cooler

Quartz portuguese chrono

cooler

Ok I've made a mistake and accepted qc pics of a quartz portuguese watch but after looking at pics later I have noticed that chapter/index ring is not aligned correctly.

IWC_zps1b6e1610.jpg

Is it possible and how difficult is it to fix this when I receive watch?

Thanks

Edited by cooler

JSJ

If it's like the 7750 Portuguese (which I suspect it is), the bezel and crystal come off in one piece. Not so very easy to do and a risk of damaging something depending on how confident you are. I can do it now but the first one was a right bugger.

Here is the process I use on the 7750s:

1. You can see a very thin gap where the bezel sits on the case.

2. Heat the crystal up with a hairdryer so it's more or less too hot to touch.

3. Leave it to soak in the heat heat a bit. Maybe a bit more hairdryer.

4. This softens the plastic gasket on the inside and makes it much easier to pry off the bezel. I use a sharp, rigid (Stanley) knife. A caseback tool is a bit thick and you can bend the edge of the case inwards.

5. Now hold the case in a towel or something. Three reasons. It's too hot to hold, you need a good grip and if the knife slips you may not need a trip to hospital. You are going to be applying quite a bit of force.

6. As soon as you feel the knife blade penetrate the gap, you are in. Then carefully work round the gap and widen it and off it pops.

You will then just have to line it up and press it back in the right place. Unfortunately, some chapter rings never line up all the way round although yours looks like it is way off. If the 60 is right (my preference), sometimes, the 15, 30 and 45 are not. Some are OK though. Welcome to reps.

Best thing is to wait till it arrives and take the caseback off first to see. Earlier 7750 Portuguese have four screws holding the bezel and those bezels are much easier to remove. Then again, if that is the case you will need to find a way of realigning the chapter ring insert into the bezel. I bet it's a pressed on version.

Good luck and when it arrives, PM me if you want as I may not see this thread. If you are in the UK and want me to do it, I'm happy to. Just let me know.

JSJ

Oh and the reason I know how to do this is not because of misaligned bezels but because the 7750 movements come out the front of the watch so when I repair the secs@6 (which I do fairly often now it seems), I have to take the bezel off :).

cooler

Great info thanks a lot, I am in UK I'll see how it looks when it arrives.

Cheers

cooler

Quick update and a thank you to JSJ watch arrived and following JSJ's guidelines managed to realign bezel.

Edited by cooler

JSJ

Well done mate! Really pleased you managed to fix it.

Next job is to learn how to take a decent pic of it :rofl: