Sign in to follow this  
TAGster

Replica TAG Heuer Monaco on eBay

TAGster

The auction is about to end. I already reported in the morning but it seems eBay is not paying attention:

http://www.ebay.com/...92?roken=cUgayN

Let´s report it and avoid someone to be scammed.

Cheers mates!!!

Edited by TAGster

RussP

Looks legit to my untrained eye.

What makes you call it a fake?

reximda
Looks legit to my untrained eye.

What makes you call it a fake?

Agreed.

Enlighten us.

stevok2305

Looked fine to me too. What are the tells?

RussP

Still waiting, OP :)

The seller has some beauties on offer at the moment, and they all appear pretty good to my eyes at least.

Duzza

if its a fake can you point me in the direction of a stockist please?

kkz88

This is not fake look gen to me.can u point me.please...

I been looking Monaco gen movement CAL ETA 2892-A2

Now this one same.

Kopcap

and the answer is :

"YES, it's a fake" !

just look at the TagHeuer official website :

http://www.tagheuer.com/fr/montres-de-luxe/monaco/monaco-chronographe-automatique-calibre-1239-mm-bleu-bracelet-cuir

and compare to the pic on eBay...

it's easy to see the 2 points :

1/ the subdial on the right is totally different

2/ on the GEN watch, it's written "Automatic Chronograph Calibre 12" and on the "eBay-version" only "Automatic Chronograph"

that's all !

So bad for the buyer....

Duzza

and the answer is :

"YES, it's a fake" !

just look at the TagHeuer official website :

http://www.tagheuer....u-bracelet-cuir

and compare to the pic on eBay...

it's easy to see the 2 points :

1/ the subdial on the right is totally different

2/ on the GEN watch, it's written "Automatic Chronograph Calibre 12" and on the "eBay-version" only "Automatic Chronograph"

that's all !

So bad for the buyer....

I don't see an issue with the subdial other than the 5 second markers not being present. Theres been several versions of this watch. Some of them even had a different movement to the current calibre 12.

Kopcap

and if you take a very closer look to pic (GEN and "eBay" version")

at the 12 position, the GEN has 2 points side by side (like this "..") "eBay version" has 2 points separated with a marker (like this ".I.")

about the movement,

i'm not quite sure that this model (i mean the blue one) has had different movement, but "yes" TAG Heuer offers differents "Monaco" with differents "Calibre"

(check here : http://www.tagheuer....o/monaco-models)

(edit, after browsing the web and my doc...)

you can check and other version from TAG Heuer :

http://www.lacotedesmontres.com/Photo-img27080_800.htm&Tag%20Heuer%20Monaco%20LS%20Chronograph%20Calibre%2012

Edited by Kopcap

Pseudonym

Having had a minute to look over this, I think I'm in agreement with the OP.

The TH CW2113 was produced from 2010 as a re addition of the McQueen.

Unlike popular belief it wasn't fitted with a calibre 11. Infact it was fitted with a calibre 12, then later with a calibre 17.

Regarding the watch sold on eBay, I don't believe it to be gen. Rather a franken, or indeed one hell of a rep.

The dial & sundials are all true to form of the gen, case shape & pushers also. What gives the game away for me is the movement. The cal.12 was never produced with a gold rotor, nor is it a 37j movement. It is infact a 17j.

u8eqadap.jpg

a9ypaqed.jpg

I cannot see why for the life of me would you sell a gen with an aftermarket, incorrect rotor. Meh... Maybe I'm all wrong and the SK market produced a model different to any other.

P.

zinnboy

Lol. Sold for $2800. Suckers. I've given up on reporting things on eBay.

ad9a9

Im sure as soon as this watch is taken to any Approved Dealer for service etc all will unfold and for $2,800....there will be some some dramas for the seller..personally judging by the sellers other items i would be very surprised if it is a fake...

court

The advert clearly states it is a cal.2894-2. Whilst this is the ETA base used for some Monacos it is the 2894 that was used for the versions with the two sub dials (as the one being sold) not the 2894-2. Also the base movement is not the same as the TH version and the seller would have put the correct calibre had it been a TH original movement.

narikaa

Unless you are the rights holder for the brand why would feeBay listen to you?

g.man

I do not believe that this is a fake watch, but I do believe that lot of nonsense is being talked in this thread by some, with some people even linking to watches that are not even the model in question.

Here is the movement found in the watch on ebay...

eta2894_2_1-600x600_zps150b78b2.jpg

You used to be able to purchase it here...

http://urdelar.se/in...product_id=2395

…and here is a comparison of different models of Monaco that's worth reading...

http://www.calibre11...aco-comparison/

from which I quote...

The Calibre 17 movement used in the TAG Heuer Monaco is a ETA derived movement, based on the ETA 2894-2. As noted above, the 2010 Monaco uses a Calibre 12 movement, but one that has nothing to do with the original Chronomatic Calibre 12- the two Calibre 12s share only a name.

Now short of actually buying one of these and taking it apart for comparison, all I'm saying that every piece of the watch is gen Tag Heuer.

Whether the watch is actually as it was when originally purchased? Well that is open to debate, but my money is on gen.

regards

g.man

court

g.man

I believe that the 2894 was used for versions with two subdials and the 2894-2 for those with the extra register at 6.

They may all be TH elements but I'm not convinced they are true to the watch when it left the factory.

But that's just my view and the reason I would not have bought it. Everyone else can make their own mind up.

g.man

I'm no expert on the watch in question, but I suspect you are wrong...

http://watchreviewsb...hronograph.html

My Monaco has a base ETA 2892 movement with the Dubois Depraz chrono module for a total of 37 jewels, called the Caliber 17 by Tag Heuer (ETA 2894-2 in ETA’s parlance), and none of the other features just mentioned on the newest version. The slightly smaller case size, the plastic/plexi crystal, modest water resistance and solid caseback harkens back to the originality this model possessed in 1970. Don’t get me wrong, either version of the Monaco is superb, but I do like mine better.

regards

g.man

zinnboy

I'm no expert on the watch in question, but I suspect you are wrong...

http://watchreviewsb...hronograph.html

My Monaco has a base ETA 2892 movement with the Dubois Depraz chrono module for a total of 37 jewels, called the Caliber 17 by Tag Heuer (ETA 2894-2 in ETA’s parlance), and none of the other features just mentioned on the newest version. The slightly smaller case size, the plastic/plexi crystal, modest water resistance and solid caseback harkens back to the originality this model possessed in 1970. Don’t get me wrong, either version of the Monaco is superb, but I do like mine better.

regards

g.man

Might be gen.

court

We'll agree to disagree my friend. It's way out of my price league anyway. (I could get a half decent soul 45 for that price lol)

http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-calibre-17-review-eta-2894/

The Calibre 17 is available in two variants- a two register chronograph (ETA 2894, running second at 3 o’clock; 30 minute chronograph register at 9 o’clock; date window at 6 o’clock), such as the Carrera Jack Heuer 80, or a three register Chronograph (ETA 2894-2) that adds a 12-hour register at 6 o’clock

That's what makes this hobby so fascinating to me.

Pseudonym

Hmmm I stand corrected it seems.

jacobarch

I'd like to point out that you should refrain from reporting items on ebay that you are not 100% sure of it's authenticity. Looks legit to me as well.

ad9a9

I'd like to point out that you should refrain from reporting items on ebay that you are not 100% sure of it's authenticity. Looks legit to me as well.

I second that!

g.man

+1,000,000 mate.

There is absolutely nothing in that guy's listing that doesn't appear to be the truth, and people are reporting him to E-Bay as being a scammer.

The OP even went as far as stating that the watch in question is a replica, when patently it is not. That is a gen Tag Cal17 movement that's in that watch.

The seller even goes as far as saying that the dial has been refurbished and the movement has been overhauled.

Now it's one thing to report people selling obvious reps on E-Bay, but that just isn't the case here.

how would you like it if it was your sale and account being falsely reported?

g.man