Sign in to follow this  
Lefty83g

Has anyone else had a drastic change of heart about Panerai

Lefty83g

well after starting this thread im glad to see im not the only one to have had a time piece epiphany concerning the PAM thanks for all the input from you guys thats why i love this forum

Lefty83g
When I first started this hobby, I thought I needed one PAM just to have one in the collection, but couldn't understand these guys that had 10 of them.....I mean its basically the same style, why do you need 10!

So when getting my first, I really liked the PAM505, so I pulled the trigger and started with a Radiomir. Then I saw a PAM090 on M2M for a steal, so I thought "hey, lets give Luminors a shot". Within 10 min of putting it on, I was hooked. It came on a great vintage strap and stunning dial, and was just gorgeous in person. Then I got a PAM 253i Flyback chrono, with the domed sapphire and most recently sourced parts for a bronze hornlug build vintage, which turned out incredible.

Now, I'm official that Panerai guy -- I've got 4 and very much in the market for Fiddy and polished case Radiomir, maybe even Cali dial.

And since posts without pics suck...

PAM090

13539321053_c2c37a7f49.jpg

PAM 253i

13877832933_a12fa18517.jpg

Hornlug

14094293856_ee0b72931a.jpg

IM IN LOVE WITH THE 253I IS THAT A SHARKSKIN COMBAT STRAP ON IT

Beefalope

Yup. I used to hate them. Now I just don't particularly like them.

Lefty83g

lol i was there approx 3 weeks ago u got about 3 mor phases till you open up the wallet

Ishmael

The "change of heart" step hasn't hit me yet. I just don't see it with Panerai. I mean, square or circle, pick a shape already. However, having said that, yesterday I found myself perusing some Panerai megathread someone here put together in hopes that I would discover what everyone else here seems to know. Haven't discovered it yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion I will turn that corner sooner rather than later.

mysterio

Give it time. :lol:

Lefty83g

i first became intrigued with the 382 or bronzo i believe then i saw an episode of how its made on tv and they had pams on there after i studied the similarity and how good the reps were made and .....boom u have 3 on the way shit.........

millionaire wannabe

I've always liked 'em, ever since I first laid eyes on one when I was about 20 years old. Haven't owned that many (reps) of these though. Never had a gen Panerai. Yet! :)

They're tough watches with just a hint of style, that's what makes them cool imo.

Lefty83g
I've always liked 'em, ever since I first laid eyes on one when I was about 20 years old. Haven't owned that many (reps) of these though. Never had a gen Panerai. Yet! :)

They're tough watches with just a hint of style, that's what makes them cool imo.

exactly.... its seems like it should be the official watch of the zombie apoclypse or the walking dead series either that or the AP Survivor

cogwatch

PAMs, can't stand them :-)

d52334eb-79dc-4548-bc5d-51cd4eb63746_zps6869b452.jpg

Lefty83g

PAMs, can't stand them :-)

d52334eb-79dc-4548-bc5d-51cd4eb63746_zps6869b452.jpg

WELL DAMN

cogwatch

Still need a Regatta Flyback or Rattrapante, then I might have all I want to cover the bases.

Lefty83g

Still need a Regatta Flyback or Rattrapante, then I might have all I want to cover the bases.

IM SURE YOU WILL FIND A LOOPHOLE IN THERE SOME HOW LOL I DONT SEE A BRONZO OR IS THAT NOT ON THE RADAR I WANT ONE BUT ITS TOOOO DAMN BIG

fatarms

Never heard of Panerai before I came here. When I saw them, I thought they all look the same. I started looking for unique ones. Over my rep collecting, I've owned a 127, a 186, a 187, and 47, 52 and 60mm versions of the EGI. I've only kept the 52 and 60mm EGI's as well as a 127 homage.

At first they had a lot of appeal to me, as did the ROO Safari. Now, almost two years later, many Panerai are so similar and ROO's are the same fucking watch with different color schemes. I've grown bored of Panerai for the most part except for the ones I've kept. I kept a 127 homage on a baseball strap, sold the 127 PAM I had. I've kept the 52mm EGI for a few reasons, mostly sentimental as well as also on a custom baseball strap. The 60mm, I've kept for now because I modded the dial myself, it was the first time I attempted it.

20140124_201946_zpsc9f7549d.jpg

20140429_141043_zps94113435.jpg

P2170098_zpseced472c.jpg

Lefty83g
Never heard of Panerai before I came here. When I saw them, I thought they all look the same. I started looking for unique ones. Over my rep collecting, I've owned a 127, a 186, a 187, and 47, 52 and 60mm versions of the EGI. I've only kept the 52 and 60mm EGI's as well as a 127 homage.

At first they had a lot of appeal to me, as did the ROO Safari. Now, almost two years later, many Panerai are so similar and ROO's are the same fucking watch with different color schemes. I've grown bored of Panerai for the most part except for the ones I've kept. I kept a 127 homage on a baseball strap, sold the 127 PAM I had. I've kept the 52mm EGI for a few reasons, mostly sentimental as well as also on a custom baseball strap. The 60mm, I've kept for now because I modded the dial myself, it was the first time I attempted it.

20140429_141043_zps94113435.jpg

P2170098_zpseced472c.jpg

IM DROOLING OVER THAT GRIFFEY STRAP WHO DID THAT FOR YOU PLEASEEEE TELL ME

fatarms

IM DROOLING OVER THAT GRIFFEY STRAP WHO DID THAT FOR YOU PLEASEEEE TELL ME

Which one? :D Griff is my favorite modern era player. I played baseball myself for 28 years.

The 127 homage and the 52mm EGI both have Griffey straps on them. I got them both from a guy in Los Angeles named Johnny Torrez. http://www.johnnystraps.com/

52mm EGI:

PA030028_zps444f9f7e.jpg

PA030027_zps396c3d46.jpg

Actually have a pig buckle on this now:

PA030033_zps8e86a60c.jpg

And the PAM 127 Homage:

IMG_2005_zpsbcac91f5.jpg

This one had the pig buckle installed already at photo time:

20140127_143851_zpsb4661f88.jpg

James.

LOUD NOISES!

fatarms
:lol:

Ishmael

fatarms I might have to buy my first PAM literally so I can buy one of those straps. Not a Panerai fan at all - but that strap might make it worth it.

Conex

After bad mouthing, or at least saying I wasn't into them anymore, it's inspired me to wear my 127 for the first time in ages, and I can say I kinda like PAMs again.

Fiddy127Wristie_zpsacd9f436.jpg

stac3

At first I loved Panerai. Looked at a PAM360 and I wanted to buy it. Then, I found out that it wasn't a good rep.

Some weeks later, found the PAM111 and I loved it too. But, wasn't ready to pull the wallet out for it.

Bought a couple of watches for months. I was still thinking of Panerai but wasn't ready for them.

Then, I found out that you could easily change straps on Panerais. Started to look again, felt in love with a PAM176.

I thought that just one, but with a couple of straps to make it more interesting, was enough. Now, 6 months later, I'm looking to get another one, probably a PAM243!

awmlewis

I never even heard about them let alone though about buying one. But I bought one due to this site and I'm in love with it. I'm thinking about getting an all black watch, and if they are available, it might have to be a pam

Ishmael

After bad mouthing, or at least saying I wasn't into them anymore, it's inspired me to wear my 127 for the first time in ages, and I can say I kinda like PAMs again.

Fiddy127Wristie_zpsacd9f436.jpg

See, now this is a PAM I can get behind. Simple, elegant, and I like me at least one sub dial, so that works. You say this is a 127? This is the other issue - there are, like, four million number combinations, and I can't keep them all straight. There doesn't appear to be significant difference between some of the numbers either (though I know there IS a difference).

Anyway, if I go to a TD and say I want a PAM 127, I'll get the watch in your picture? Also (and I admit I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but what does "PAM" stand for? :stupid:

zufir

I'm starting to lean towards PAM. Wanted to get a PAM 390 to get started

mysterio

See, now this is a PAM I can get behind. Simple, elegant, and I like me at least one sub dial, so that works. You say this is a 127? This is the other issue - there are, like, four million number combinations, and I can't keep them all straight. There doesn't appear to be significant difference between some of the numbers either (though I know there IS a difference).

Anyway, if I go to a TD and say I want a PAM 127, I'll get the watch in your picture? Also (and I admit I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but what does "PAM" stand for? :stupid:

PAM = PAnerai Model. And yes, if you tell a TD you want the Noob (make sure you specify the maker)PAM127 you will get the same watch.