Sign in to follow this  
TRANSPORTER

Stem dissolving in Alum powder

TRANSPORTER

Ok guys I've started to try to dissolve my seiko 6105-8110 stem in alum powder.

I've kept the water warm and made a seriously strong solution but after 5 days now absolutely nothing is happening, I have to give it a good shake every day as the solution is settling in the bottom of the container, but still nothing.

Anyone else had no reaction to alum powder on stems snapped in crowns.

Kcore

Very odd. By any chance is the Seiko stem made from non-ferrous metal? ( brass, copper, nickel, tin, lead, and zinc, as well as precious metals like gold and silver.) Alum will only dissolve ferrous metals (mild steel, carbon steel, stainless steel, cast iron, and wrought iron.). You know the alum is working when the ferrous metal turns black which is part of the chemical reaction.

Are you using a pyrex or other good glass container? Mixture is generally, 4 tbsb to 1 cup water, bring to near boil to start, then keep heated.

TRANSPORTER

Many thanks for the reply, first off I've got it in a plastic container, secondly I started with hot water and kept it warm, not near boiling, I shall start again today afresh following your instructions and keep you informed.

I have no blackening of the stem at the moment, but maybe because I didn't have the water got enough to start with, also I keep it in my airing cupboard with my water tank, I sit it on top of the pump where it gets pretty hot, but obviously that does cool when not in use, do you think that has something to do with the non reaction seen do far.

I might have to invest in a USB cup warmer (do you think this would be any good) then I could leave it heated all the time at work without any bother.

TRANSPORTER

Sorry about some of the spelling, sausage fingers mixed with iPhone keypad and auto correct don't mix sometimes haha

fatarms

At some point, buying the heating mechanisms and alum powder, etc... you'll reach the cost of a new crown and stem. At which point you may want to throw in the towel :lol: Sorry, I've never used alum powder, so I don't have a contribution for the OP, but watch your costs trying to recover the original parts as opposed to buying new parts.

Haltec

Transporter - what are you try to accomplish?

Stem/Crown separation?

/edit

Ok. I got it.

Imho, there is possibility that stem and crown are from same material. So no chemical treatment would achieve goal.

Bore it, and new threads looks as only option to me now...

If you have at least tool to bore it, you can install new steam by applying some solder to a threads on the stem. (It has to be done with flux) and than screw in the steam in fluxed crown, then apply some heat & solder do join them very solid.

Edited by Haltec

TRANSPORTER

cheers guys, basically the stem snapped in the crown, just too little there to grab with a tool to try and unscrew the remains, also thought of trying to put a small notch in the remains to try a flat screw driver to unscrew the remains but even my needle files weren't small enough to achieve that.

so I've turned to alum powder, as for the cost of a new crown and stem, I've seen a crown stem combo on the bay but I don't think they are OEM parts as they are only £27.00 and for an original Seiko 6105 8110 that's cheap.

Anyway I've boiled up some clean water put in 4 tablespoons of alum powder sealed it all in a jam jar and left in the airing cupboard again, ill keep it warm and do a daily check on it to see how it goes