Sign in to follow this  
demangrtdj

AP 15400 Rep Swiss vs. Asian

demangrtdj

Hey Everyone,

I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to rep watches. I've bought two but don't have much understanding when it comes to mechanics. I am looking to purchase an Audemars Piguet 15400 and am not sure which to buy. I have found three watches (watch one: http://www.torobravo...&product_id=700 watch two: http://www.torobravo...&product_id=863 watch three: http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=958) and am unsure which to choose. While one clearly states best edition it is an Asian movement and I was under the impression that Swiss movement is smoother as well as does not make ticking noises. I was really hoping for everyone's opinions on which would be better (smoother second hand and no sound) to buy.

Thanks in advance!

demangrtdj

PS: could someone explain AR coating to me? I just noticed one is sapphire w/ AR and one is w/o

Edited by demangrtdj

myaz

Read up on multiple threads here on Asian Vs Swiss ETAs. No difference in ticking noises that I am aware of and I got both Asian and Swiss in different reps. My opinion is that I would no longer pay a premium for Swiss. So no difference in sound or smoothness between Asian and Swiss.

AR=anti reflective coating. Now THAT makes the dial look better. I wouldn't pay $50 extra just for AR. TDs will say best edition this and best edition that, it's subjective.

IMHO, for some reason, maybe high demand, AP 15400 is overpriced to begin with and I'd go strictly by cost.

Let's get more opinions.

zinnboy

Read up on multiple threads here on Asian Vs Swiss ETAs. No difference in ticking noises that I am aware of and I got both Asian and Swiss in different reps. My opinion is that I would no longer pay a premium for Swiss. So no difference in sound or smoothness between Asian and Swiss.

AR=anti reflective coating. Now THAT makes the dial look better. I wouldn't pay $50 extra just for AR. TDs will say best edition this and best edition that, it's subjective.

IMHO, for some reason, maybe high demand, AP 15400 is overpriced to begin with and I'd go strictly by cost.

Let's get more opinions.

Yeah, nowadays on movements all I'd want is an asian movement, unless I'm buying an AP 15400 which case I'd opt for the Miyota movement with the 1:1 case from Toro. That is my opinion.

Daywatch

For exactly this model this is the best version: http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=958. It has got the corrected AP Logo, the Myota movement is excellent with the 3 screws and nicest decoration on the movement itself and on the rotor (as the swiss ETA version). Who has it says the closing mechanism on the bracelet is more reliable (although mine is good too). I have got the BP maker swiss ETA version (that was out before and is the former best version) The new one is worth the +60 usd difference imho mainly because it is thinner also by 1mm. It´s a beautiful dress-sports-watch. There is one catch: In the new version the logo very often is misaligned or the markers at 12 are not parallel. You might want to consider getting the AP Diver V6 in SS first, it´s a bit cheaper, bigger, heavier and an overall fantastic watch in its own right qualitywise.

Ap_1024_2795_zpsd03de68e.jpg

Ap1024seasflare_2794_zpsbf0203ce.jpg

Ap_2413cr_zpsf3f87c8b.jpg

zinnboy

For exactly this model this is the best version: http://www.torobravo...&product_id=958. It has got the corrected AP Logo, the Myota movement is excellent with the 3 screws and nicest decoration on the movement itself and on the rotor (as the swiss ETA version). Who has it says the closing mechanism on the bracelet is more reliable (although mine is good too). I have got the BP maker swiss ETA version (that was out before and is the former best version) The new one is worth the +60 usd difference imho mainly because it is thinner also by 1mm. It´s a beautiful dress-sports-watch. There is one catch: In the new version the logo very often is misaligned or the markers at 12 are not parallel. You might want to consider getting the AP Diver V6 in SS first, it´s a bit cheaper, bigger, heavier and an overall fantastic watch in its own right qualitywise.

Ap_1024_2795_zpsd03de68e.jpg

Ap1024seasflare_2794_zpsbf0203ce.jpg

Ap_2413cr_zpsf3f87c8b.jpg

These are great pics. Is that the flashlight included with the JLC NSD?

Left Coast Guy

I'd second what's been said -- With the growth of the rep game, new swiss mov'ts are just about impossible for the rep factories to source new from ETA, so most of the Swiss-stated mov't are either asian stamped swiss or reclaimed/refurbished swiss. In my opinion that means the likelihood for failure is higher for a used swiss than a new asian. And to be clear by asian, I mean Chinese. The Miyota are Japanese and well regarded for durability, though they are going to have the same sweep issues as the 2813 as the 2813 is a clone of the Miyota 8215.

Daywatch

Thanks Zinnboy, the flashlight is a Sunwayman M20c with a reliable magnetic control ring (no mechanical points of failure) for setting brightness levels, waterproof to 2 m. Very good overall feeling and tailstanding ability, long runtimes on low (100hrs) and medium (25hrs). Very agreeable neutral white light (yellowish).

The one included with the JLC NSD is a Surefire 6p, those are expensive great lights but antiquated technology. Max output for one hour (65 lumen) is what this one does for 25 hours with one charge (50 lumen). Max output on the Sunwayman is 280 lumen for about 2 hours (also antiquated by 2014 standards but its still enough for 180 metres and normal use).

demangrtdj

I'd second what's been said -- With the growth of the rep game, new swiss mov'ts are just about impossible for the rep factories to source new from ETA, so most of the Swiss-stated mov't are either asian stamped swiss or reclaimed/refurbished swiss. In my opinion that means the likelihood for failure is higher for a used swiss than a new asian. And to be clear by asian, I mean Chinese. The Miyota are Japanese and well regarded for durability, though they are going to have the same sweep issues as the 2813 as the 2813 is a clone of the Miyota 8215.

Thank you everyone for the responses! In regards to this comment, what are the sweeping issues with the Miyota?

somebeatnik

There are no sweep issues with the Miyota movement in the AP 15400. I think Afdaddy mistakenly thought the AP Miyota used the 8215 movement which is 21,600 bph, that means the watch ticks around 6 times per second. The Miyota 9015 however, the movement in the AP you wish to buy is 28,800 bph which is 8 ticks per second, thus the second hand sweeps much smoother.

dannyw

from another forum, AP Diver is coming out with Rose Gold on Bevel with gold hands.. yummy... if u hvnt buy a 15400, mayb can consider that too. I wasn't really into dive watch, but that one looks good IMO.

linky: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=182229

demangrtdj

do you know when that is coming out?

mindvision

Oh my god I want that one so bad!!

Ericcart

Me too!

goodman

When is the AUDEMARS PIGUET QEII CUP 2014 ROYAL OAK OFFSHORE DIVER LIMITED EDITION coming out and who will have it first?

gran

When is the AUDEMARS PIGUET QEII CUP 2014 ROYAL OAK OFFSHORE DIVER LIMITED EDITION coming out and who will have it first?

I will not buy it, even if the horse on he display back is pretty cool and its a great looker

Benoitch

The 15400 is amazing!

hlodhi1
from another forum, AP Diver is coming out with Rose Gold on Bevel with gold hands.. yummy... if u hvnt buy a 15400, mayb can consider that too. I wasn't really into dive watch, but that one looks good IMO. linky: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=182229

Oh man I can't wait for this baby!