Sign in to follow this  
Frogbone

What movement is this?

Frogbone

Can someone tell me what movement this is and/or how to remove the stem from this so I can remove it from the case?

This is from a IWC Portuguese 3714-47 rep

Thanks !

2014-05-13 22.30.26.jpg

SSTEEL

Welcome to RWG :)

Looks like a cheap 21J movement of sorts. To remove it, its difficult to tell from your photo, but usually there's a movement holder, which appears to be missing in your photo.

Frogbone

Welcome to RWG :)

Looks like a cheap 21J movement of sorts. To remove it, its difficult to tell from your photo, but usually there's a movement holder, which appears to be missing in your photo.

Yes, there is a plastic movement holder which has been removed. I just can't figure out for the life of it how to get the stem out :(

machiavegli

Should you remove the screw 1 mm south and 1 mm west of the base of the stem?

Not an expert...

-Mach

SSTEEL

If the movement is loose, remove the stem, and then its quite possible the movement will come out of the case at an angle due to the extended pushers?

Frogbone

If the movement is loose, remove the stem, and then its quite possible the movement will come out of the case at an angle due to the extended pushers?

Found a small recessed button to push that removed them stem.

I think this movement is toast and I think I might want to replace it with something a bit better. Please excuse if this is not the right forum for the questions I am having so please move this thread if needed.

1. What would be a decent movement without breaking the bank?

2. Is there a good place to purchase a movement?

3. Being new to this but not afraid of trying new stuff I want to attempt to do this on my own. Where is a good place to read up on how to replace this movement and what tools to get ? Again , is there a good place anyone can recommend?