Sign in to follow this  
Del

PAM 111 Luminor Marina 44mm

Del

This is my first Panerai rep - just received it today from fellow RWG member Steve227 (who originally bought it from Robert). It is 44mm, Asian 6497 hand wind movement with dagger swan neck, sandwich dial and deployment clasp strap.

I was blown away when I saw this watch for the first time - it is just gorgeous :D . I really hope my pictures do it justice ;) and you like looking at them B).

P9063731v2.jpg

P9063734v2.jpg

P9063739v2.jpg

P9063745v2.jpg

P9063751v2.jpg

P9063754v2.jpg

P9063761v2.jpg

skintrade

Just a fantastic watch ;)

bigbossa

Nice one man ! ;) Now your gonna start collecting straps ...I did :vomit:

Edited by bigbossa

Member X

Very nice! ;)

mulder

Sweet. Lucky bugger

greg_r

Lookin' good!

GC

Simplicity at it's best! A very sharp 111...

Enjoy it often Del

btw: your pics most certainly do it justice mate!

dingle

very nice. Is that the rep strap? :D

Del

Thanks everyone for your comments :cheerleader2:, and glad you liked the photos.

Dingleberry - yes, that is the rep strap. It's actually quite nice with the deployment clasp but I'm going to get a thicker one soon (as Bigbossa predicted ;)). I think you are resticted to about 2mm thickness at the deployment clasp end otherwise the strap won't fit so I'll being going to a regular buckle strap.

manrikisan

Now I want one too.

Industril

What kind of movement is in there? Is it an ETA or Chinese 6497?

Would you mind disclosing to me how much you happened to pay for that watch? (BTW, it looks fantastic!)

TAGster
This is my first Panerai rep - just received it today from fellow RWG member Steve227 (who originally bought it from Robert). It is 44mm, Asian 6497 hand wind movement with dagger swan neck, sandwich dial and deployment clasp strap.

Would you mind disclosing to me how much you happened to pay for that watch? (BTW, it looks fantastic!)

;)

Industril

:)

Ahh, I was so taken by the pictures that I had to pose the question right away. Of course, please pardon my lack of observation there. One follow-up question, how does one distinguish that this is an asian movement and not an ETA movement? Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but there are no obvious tells from what I can see. (due to my lack of experience)

The reason I became so excited was because I had purchased this exact rep 5 days ago (minus the deployant). It came with a clear rubber bezel condom to protect the stainless.

Some comments about my rep:

-CG I feel is on the thin side

-CG pin on my stick out a bit. It can be fixed, but I can't be bothered

-CG lever on mine is a little loose, again it can be fixed

-Sandwich dial yellow luminova is not the right color

-Luminor, Marina,Panerai is white text and not the off-white like the gen

-"L SWISS L" as opposed to L SWISS MADE L (Seems to be the dial from the Pam 0000 but with the seconds at 9-o'clock)

-2, 3, and 6 are not 100% exact

-Cannon pin sunken

-Like yours, the screw for the top strap on my 111 comes out the lug. It's not flush with the lug like the bottom lugs.

-The display case is screwed on is upside down...like mine ;)

-I have laser burn marks on my bridges. I can only assume they were laser etched

-Officine Panerai in blue text on my bridges is crooked. Text is thicker than Gen.

-same paint as used on the text is used to paint the screws, but I like it. Nice touch.

-the crown is of course not 100% exact, the flange is a little thicker on the rep

-leather strap is one of the better ones I've used that come with a rep. The "rubber coated" sides however make it feel "cheaper". The one you have doesn't seem to have the rubber, but it's still the simulated gator strap.

-I like the stainless buckle that came with mine, however the PANERAI text etched on the buckle is too big. I prefer it had no text at all.

Just some tells that I found with my 111. I'm pretty sure our watches came off the same assembly line and that's why I inquired about how much you paid for yours.

One additional thing I wanted to ask, when you wind your watch up, does the spring "pull back"/resist the crown a bit? There's some spring action when I wind mine up. I didn't notice this on my Fiddy. Maybe it's just a stronger spring.

Regardless of all the things I've notcied on mine that make it unique, most people who would have heard of Panerai would not notice the deficiencies with this model. I'm actually more happy with this model than my fiddy by at least 10 fold.

Edited by Industril

Del

Wow - you really analyse your watches :).

I actually bought my watch second hand from another RWG VIP Member so it would be unfair for me to disclose the details of the transaction. However, the watch originally came from Robert at Prestige. Where did you buy your watch?

I'm not a PAM or movement expert but I would guess that the price would tell you if you have Asian or not, e.g. Robert is currently selling these for $99 with the Asian 6497 movement.

On the winding thing, yes, my watch also has a "spring-back" feel when winding it.

Just enjoy your watch mate ;) (I bloody love mine ;)).

Industril
Wow - you really analyse your watches B).

I actually bought my watch second hand from another RWG VIP Member so it would be unfair for me to disclose the details of the transaction. However, the watch originally came from Robert at Prestige. Where did you buy your watch?

I'm not a PAM or movement expert but I would guess that the price would tell you if you have Asian or not, e.g. Robert is currently selling these for $99 with the Asian 6497 movement.

On the winding thing, yes, my watch also has a "spring-back" feel when winding it.

Just enjoy your watch mate :yoda: (I bloody love mine ;)).

Hey Del,

Nah, they're just sore bits for me. If I had the tools, the time, and most importantly, the patience I would modify it so that it were 1:1. I just spent a few hours at this forum and over at replica watch info and read the reviews there....if any credit is due, it's the folks there who patiently reviewed these watches with exacting detail.

I bought mine new from a corner shop in some mall in Shenzhen for $41USD. It came with a rubber condom cover. I bargained the salesman down from $42 because I didn't need his "one year warantee" since I would be leaving China in a matter of days. LOL anything to save a buck ;) (took that buck and bought myself an ice cold beer LOL)

The salesman insisted that it was Swiss but when I pointed out things like the balance wheel, he shut his mouth and pleaded ignorance. LOL. I do have to admit, I admire the craft gone into producing this. I read a review somewhere that noted why they purposefully don't make 100% copies as a form of CYA. How easy would it be for them to make perfect copies if they can copy the details of the bridges!

I'm not entirely convinced that price would be a determing factor in judging wheter a mvmt is Swiss or Chinese. I've read some admins/mods on other boards having puchased cheap watches later to be discovered to be Swiss and some $600 reps with asian/Chinese movements. Bottomline for me; it's a rep...would be nice to have a swiss movement in there because of the reputation of swiss mvmts but the Chinese movements are building their own sort of prestige and record of reliability.

The first PAM I bought, I noted was the fiddy. I also bought it from Shenzhen and it costed me $56USD. It unfortunately lasted me only 2 months. The little spring where you get the "spring-back" feel broke. It literally sheered into 2 and the watch stopped winding. Too bad, I hope this watch lasts me several years. It's not a bad watch, keeps very good time. Better than my gens....I could argue. Funny....how some reps keep better time than gen chronometers that are COSC approved.

Funny how most reps keep better time than most gen non-COSC approved mechanical watches.

Wear your PAM111 proud. I'm enjoying mine as we speak.

Cheers!

Edit: PS, do you know if this PAM111 is water proof/resistant? I've splashed water on it incidently while washing my hands and it's stood up to that. How is yours standing up to water? The fiddy that I purchased had a rubber o-ring that eventually tore out with wear from winding the watch. Curious if this watch can stand up to water. B)

Edited by Industril

Del
Edit: PS, do you know if this PAM111 is water proof/resistant? I've splashed water on it incidently while washing my hands and it's stood up to that. How is yours standing up to water? The fiddy that I purchased had a rubber o-ring that eventually tore out with wear from winding the watch. Curious if this watch can stand up to water. B)

Seems like you got a good deal on the watch :yoda:.

I keep all of my reps well away from water - that seems to be the general consensus unless you get them pressure tested.

Industril
Edit: PS, do you know if this PAM111 is water proof/resistant? I've splashed water on it incidently while washing my hands and it's stood up to that. How is yours standing up to water? The fiddy that I purchased had a rubber o-ring that eventually tore out with wear from winding the watch. Curious if this watch can stand up to water. :)

Seems like you got a good deal on the watch :thumbsup2:.

I keep all of my reps well away from water - that seems to be the general consensus unless you get them pressure tested.

Good call...I foresee my PAM111 will enjoy a haphazard life. In case it decides to go swimming, I'll let you know how it performs afterwards :) Once I get back home, I'll see if I can post some pics just to show you the similiarity between our 2 watches.

Rolex SD at the same store was selling for $60. I don't know much knowledge on the auto mvmts so I passed on those watches.

Please if possible, keep me in the loop how your movement performs/lasts. I don't know how long your previous owners had it for and what kind of wear its been put through. I plan to use mine daily until it dies....try to get the most out of it. I'm interested in the reliabiltiy of this movement....and I'll return the favor and let you know how long this mvmt lasts if you're interested in the reliability of my mvmt as well. I can only assume that it was brand new when I purchased it from the little shop...about a week/week and a half ago.

Best regards.

Edited by Industril

greg_r

In general, don't take a watch near water unless it has been pressure tested. Chances are that with something that cheap you'll need to have the seals greased before its waterproof.

The 6497 movement is pretty much bomb-proof, whether Asian or Swiss. Serviced when it necessary, it should last for many, many years. I have several and have yet to have an issue with any of them. They're relatively cheap to replace even if you do have a problem.

Something to bear in mind on Panerai reps is that even the Swiss movements have Asian bridges fitted (in order to copy the appearance of the modifications that Panerai do to the 6497).

ineedanicewatch

beauty. i just got the PAM 177 myself and love it too. now time to get some nice straps to play around with.

can't help but notice tho that the crown guard looks to be a brushed finish while the case is a polished finish. is that how it's suppose t be? just curious.

cheers.

wombosi
can't help but notice tho that the crown guard looks to be a brushed finish while the case is a polished finish. is that how it's suppose t be?

Not sure if you still need the answer: but this is the way it's supposed to be. Gen 111 also has a brushed CG.